Best homebuilt for ~700 nm commute

Old July 9th 08, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

Default Best homebuilt for ~700 nm commute

Oh, I see you must have the model with the refueling probe in the
spinner, huh? g

No, it uses an interupter gear that only squirts between the prop blades.

And the pilot catches the fuel in the mouth, and spits it into the tank!
:-)

Good comeback, and quick, too, by the way!
--
Jim in NC

Old July 9th 08, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"John Smith" wrote

Have you given Budd Davidson's BEARHAWK a look?

http://www.bearhawkaircraft.com/

The problem is that you have to be using the 260 HP engine to get that 150
MPH, where you could be doing closer to 200 MPH (or more) on a 180 HP
engine.

With fuel prices, that would be a significant difference.
--
Jim in NC

Old July 9th 08, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Morgans wrote:

Oh, I see you must have the model with the refueling probe in the
spinner, huh? g

No, it uses an interupter gear that only squirts between the prop blades.

And the pilot catches the fuel in the mouth, and spits it into the tank!
:-)

Good comeback, and quick, too, by the way!

Aw, the place was getting a little dull, you know?
Old July 17th 08, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Stockton[_2_]

" With fuel prices, that would be a significant difference.
--
Jim in NC

Following that I would suggest Airtran to DFW. They can handle almost any
weather that you couldn't and a ticket is about the same as 25 gal of avgas.
Alot more practical and a lot less likely to make a smoking hole due to got
to get there pressure. If you want to fly a homebuilt do it, just don't try
to reliably commute in it.
My 2 cents worth.
Jim Stockton

Old July 17th 08, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
BobR

On Jul 16, 8:57*pm, "Jim Stockton" me@nowhere wrote:
" With fuel prices, that would be a significant difference. --
Jim in NC

Following that I would suggest Airtran to DFW. They can handle almost any
weather that you couldn't and a ticket is about the same as 25 gal of avgas.
Alot more practical and a lot less likely to make a smoking hole due to got
to get there pressure. If you want to fly a homebuilt do it, just don't try
to reliably commute in it.
My 2 cents worth.
Jim Stockton

Many people use both spam cans and homebuilts to commute. There is no
reason that a homebuilt would be any less reliable than any other
aircraft if properly constructed. Either way, it must be considered
that commuting with any private aircraft is highly dependent on
weather factors. Considering the miserable record of commercial
airlines over the last few years, I wouldn't consider private aircraft
commuting any less reliable than commercial.

I have commuted by commercial airlines many years ago with great
success but times have changed. First, my commute was between to
fairly close cities with major carrier service and hourly flights
between the destinations. I wouldn't consider trying it today. I had
to do the commute for about 18 months a couple of years ago and found
it much quicker to just drive the 260 miles. A longer commute as
discussed by the originator of this thread would not be possible to
drive but private aircraft would take about the same about of time
that I spent driving. That from a time standpoint would be less than
required for commercial even if you were guaranteed catching a flight
that met your schedule.

The biggest problem by far would be finding a commercial schedule that
would meet the requirements for timely commutes. Unless the origin
and destination are major cities with routine and frequent direct
schedules between them, commuting by commercial airlines would be more
time consuming that it was worth. I see no reason why a 700nm commute
by private aircraft including a mission capable homebuilt would not be
a highly reliable choice.

Old July 17th 08, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
gorgon

While the RV series and many Composite designs are great, don'g
overlook the W-10 Tailwind.

I believe an O-320 powered one has beaten many RV's of higher power in
the recent OSH races. Using an O-200 or O-235, they are almost as
fast....just don't climb as well in the Rockies. Which you don't need
on your route.

Construction is about as straight forward as you can get and very
economical. Modifications by Jim Clement have really improved the
first "approved" two seat homebuilt. And there is a tri-gear version.
Old July 20th 08, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
denny

.. --

. If you want to fly a homebuilt do it, just don't try
to reliably commute in it.
My 2 cents worth.
Jim Stockton

I built my airplane to use as a business tool for travel as a
field service technician. I used to travel out of Atlanta, KATL in my
passenger days. My experimental, amateur built airplane was more
reliable, cheaper, and was faster than the airlines if you considered
door-to-door travel time. On a typical one hour airline flight I
averaged about 75mph. I averaged about 125 mph in my plane, door-to-
door. In six years my dispatch reliability has been 100%. I can't
say that for going commercial. It all depends on what and how you
build, and maintenance.

Denny

Old July 20th 08, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
es330td

On Jul 16, 9:57*pm, "Jim Stockton" me@nowhere wrote:
" With fuel prices, that would be a significant difference. --
Jim in NC

Following that I would suggest Airtran to DFW. They can handle almost any
weather that you couldn't and a ticket is about the same as 25 gal of avgas.
Alot more practical and a lot less likely to make a smoking hole due to got
to get there pressure. If you want to fly a homebuilt do it, just don't try
to reliably commute in it.
My 2 cents worth.
Jim Stockton

If I can't fly myself the commute becomes impossible. My home is
almost 2 hours drive from KATL and the place I would be is 1.5 hours
from KHOU. My trip one way is 3.5 hours before I am on an airport
property. Factor in security, loading the plane and flight time and
one way is now 7 hours. Doing that twice in a weekend leaves me with
almost no time as I am dependent on carrier schedules. I can afford
the avgas but I can't afford the time.
Old July 21st 08, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
BobR

On Jul 20, 2:26 pm, es330td wrote:
[...]

In the late 60's and early 70's I used to commute between Houston and
Dallas on almost a daily basis. Texas International used to offer a
weekly ticket called the Consecutive Executive. You paid one price
for a weekly pass that allowed you to fly anywhere TI serviced through
out the week. It was great and worked well for me since I lived 10
minutes from the airport in Houston and the office was 5 minutes from
Love field in Dallas. There was no real security checkin and you just
walked to the boarding gate, showed you ticket and walked on.

Even if they offered such a bargain today I don't think it would be
possible to do this today with all the issues of security and check
in. Even if you live close to the airport at both locations, the time
to commute would take longer by commercial than by private plane for
anything less than 800-1000 miles depending on aircraft. I really
believe the distance is probably even greater but allowing for a fuel
stop does affect the time.

What I would recommend is looking for a 4-place aircraft with a bit
more stability. I know that many of the 2-place homebuilts have the
range and speed you are looking for but would be concerned about the
workload factor on long routine flights. You don't want a plane that
you have to fly every minute of the flight. Most of the 4-place
planes have slightly heaver wing loading and will give you a smoother
flight. I am building a Pulsar Super Cruiser (KIS Cruiser) that would
make an outstanding choice. I would also recommend the RV10 if you
don't mind the larger engine and increased fuel burn.
Old July 21st 08, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
es330td

On Jul 20, 9:21*pm, BobR wrote:
[...]

don't mind the larger engine and increased fuel burn.- Hide quoted text -

Although I like the miserly fuel usage of the Long-EZ, the Cozy/
Aerocanard is looking promising as they claim 1000 mile range with a
200 mph cruise. I don't like that the burn in an O-360 will be higher
than an O-320 but the tight fit of a Long-EZ may get trying for 4
hours straight. Having the double wide panel in which to install toys
like FLIR and a Garmin 430 & 496 will probably be the better route to
go from a safety standpoint.

An Icy Commute Michelle P Piloting 12 December 7th 05 04:50 AM
Fox Homebuilt [email protected] Home Built 0 December 3rd 05 02:58 AM
Big guy considering a homebuilt... Rutger Home Built 3 August 11th 04 05:57 PM
OT? write-offs for business commute Chad Munroe General Aviation 10 January 16th 04 02:02 AM
OT? write-offs for business commute Chad Munroe Piloting 8 January 16th 04 02:02 AM