An open letter to Tom Poberezny

Old June 23rd 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default An open letter to Tom Poberezny

http://www.john-ross.net/osh2.htm

Old June 23rd 07, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

Oh, you guyz gotta read this. It is (you should pardon the expression) a
hoot(er). The hell of it is, he might just have more than a grain of truth
in it.

Jim

--
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
--James Dean

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.john-ross.net/osh2.htm

Old June 23rd 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Matt Whiting

RST Engineering wrote:
Oh, you guyz gotta read this. It is (you should pardon the expression) a
hoot(er). The hell of it is, he might just have more than a grain of truth
in it.

I've seen guys desperate for a date do some weird stuff, but this ranks
right up there!

Matt
Old June 23rd 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rich S.[_1_]

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
Oh, you guyz gotta read this. It is (you should pardon the expression) a
hoot(er). The hell of it is, he might just have more than a grain of
truth in it.

I believe I have a tear in my eye. That is so . . so . . REAL!

Rich S.

Old June 23rd 07, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

I sincerely hope this is a joke. At least part of it. I agree that theEAA
posture about the Young Eagles has been focussed on the quantity of people
flown. I wonder if anyone has done a follow up to see just how effective
that thing is in generating aviators. I mean would those aviators
attributed to the Young Eagles program been aviators anyway? Did the Young
Eagles program really change the direction of some individuals? I don't
doubt that there were some examples of this but what kind of effectiveness
is involved. What is the ratio of actual re-directed individuals to the
total number flown.
On the other issue raised by Mr.Ross, If EAA expands Oshkosh much more to
non-aviation things, like jet powered trucks, Ford cars, Honda generators,
John Deer Tractors and now Hooters and some kind of dating game business?
I've already asked them to consider relinquishing the title Experimental
Aviation Association as they need to rename it more appropriately. The focus
of Oshkosh has been trending away from the experimental side of the EAA.
Also the magazine has lost some meat even though it has gotten bigger. One
year, I think it was 2005, the Oshkosh video sold by EAA did not even
mention experimental aviation, with the exception of some Rutan space flight
data. It did not mention the awards, it only had some Mooney and Piper
aircraft at Oshkosh mentioned. Besides there are a bunch of experimental
aviation nuts that would like to use that title. EAA and its title is a bit
like the US and its constitution. We got it but it doesn't mean what it
used to anymore.

--
Stuart & Kathryn Fields, Publishers
Experimental Helo magazine

Old June 23rd 07, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
Oh, you guyz gotta read this. It is (you should pardon the expression) a
hoot(er). The hell of it is, he might just have more than a grain of

truth
in it.

Jim

--

A grain????

He has hit the nail squarely and firmly on the head, and seated it securely
with a single stroke!

Peter
(Actually the Tri-Motor is a bit over-the-top;but, what the heck...)

Old June 24th 07, 08:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
John Kimmel

RST Engineering wrote:
Oh, you guyz gotta read this. It is (you should pardon the expression) a
hoot(er). The hell of it is, he might just have more than a grain of truth
in it.

Jim

John Ross has posted to RAH. He has many, many fans, including many
people who follow this newsgroup. Google him to find out more. Try
"John Ross" + "Timothy McVeigh" and see how many hits you get.

--
John Kimmel

I think it will be quiet around here now. So long.
Old June 24th 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"Richard Riley" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 08:16:30 -0700, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

Oh, you guyz gotta read this. It is (you should pardon the expression) a
hoot(er). The hell of it is, he might just have more than a grain of

truth
in it.

Yes.

Many (starting with PJ O'Rourke) have expounded on Babe Theory.

http://www.willisms.com/archives/200...n_the_bab.html

Although the OP seemed to extrapolate the Babe Theory to the Sit-Com level
and beyond, he did make a couple of very valid points, with which I
wholeheartedly agree:

1) We need more households where aviation is a highly regarded activity
and if that means that aviation events should also function as Meet Markets;
then I really don't see a problem. We will merely be making the events a
little more enjoyable, the refreshment vendors will sell more sandwiches and
lemonade, a few more aircraft (and parts and plans) will be sold, and there
will more aviation oriented families--even if they came there together.
IMHO, all of those and more are good things.

2) Young Eagles is just plain silly. I have been critical of the age
group definition from the start, and have stated in my local chapter that
the ages should be 16 through 25 instead of 8 through 17. Needless to say,
that has not brought any agreement from my peers. However, my rationale is
simply that 16 is the age at which medical certification can be issued, and
therefore 16 is the age at which one can solo. Actually, there are probably
some credible arguments for 15 or 18 as well; but the point is that most of
the 8 through 12 year olds will find plenty of other interests before they
can return for flight instruction and a single short flight will not remain
that memorable for that long.

BTW, I realize that Flying Start is supposed to exist for the ages of 18 and
over; but I really think that the Young Eagles format would have more long
term success in the older age gorups.

Peter
Just my $0.02

Old June 24th 07, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stol

RST Engineering wrote:
Oh, you guyz gotta read this. It is (you should pardon the expression) a
hoot(er). The hell of it is, he might just have more than a grain of
truth in it.

I've seen guys desperate for a date do some weird stuff, but this ranks
right up there!

Matt- Hide quoted text -

I am going with his ideas to a point. I agree the Experimental
Aircraft Assoc was formed to perpetuate the concept of someone being
able to create his or hers own plane. After attending Oshkosh last
year the whole show looked more like the " certified" aircraft assoc.
My plane has an alternative engine in it and the EAA treats us like
second class citizens. That is exactly the reverse of what it was
founded on. Now I am told this years young eagle flights are to be
flown in certified planes only, no experimentals allowed. They have
lost their direction for sure.... Of course this is just my opinion..
And I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn express last night. G

Ben
www.haaspowerair.com

Old June 24th 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Peter Dohm" wrote

[...]

Aviation Explorers has a much better chance of growing new pilots, and has,
in the unit I formerly participated in. I know of at least two of the
young'uns that I used to camp with, that now are pilots, and I think there
are a few more in various stages of lessons.

Aviation Explorers, for those that I have not converted g, is a part of
"Learning for Life," which is a loose part of Boy Scouts, without the
uniforms.

They are the ones that push the planes in homebuilt show planes area and
Area 51 at OSH, and those over 18 also take a hand in flagging in traffic on
four of the seven or eight major taxiway intersections off of 18/36 at OSH
during the last weeks of July.

We NEED more of these units started. Can you help in making that happen?
It really is not all that difficult to do!

http://www.sportys-catalogs.com/ltf/...exploring.html
http://www.learning-for-life.org/exp...tion/main.html
http://www.aviationexploring.org/news/index.html
Bradley Bormuth (in link above) won top pilot honors, from the unit I was
active in.

--
Jim in NC