rudder cable question

Old November 25th 03, 06:53 PM
Bob Loer

Default rudder cable question

The tail dragger I am building shows a closed loop rudder cable system. That
is to say both front pedals are joined by a cable that loops around a pulley
in front of the control stick on the floor. There are also pedal return
springs.

Is this extra weight and complexity needed? What is the advantage or
disadvantage? One point that my be pertinent is the rudder cable branches
off with a lower cable to the tail wheel just after it exits the fuselage.

Any thoughts appreciated.

--
Robert Loer
LM-5X-W

Old November 25th 03, 09:27 PM
Rich S.

"Bob Loer" wrote in message
The tail dragger I am building shows a closed loop rudder cable system.

That
is to say both front pedals are joined by a cable that loops around a

pulley
in front of the control stick on the floor. There are also pedal return
springs.

Is this extra weight and complexity needed? What is the advantage or
disadvantage? One point that my be pertinent is the rudder cable branches
off with a lower cable to the tail wheel just after it exits the fuselage.

Any thoughts appreciated.

My Emeraude plans show the same arrangement, but after looking over the
setup on a friend's RV-4 I decided to save the weight and complexity. I
haven't found any down side to not having them closed loop. (Wow! a triple
negative!)

Rich S.

Old November 25th 03, 09:53 PM
Frank

The springs are prolly for feel or extra pedal force.
Old November 26th 03, 01:44 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 10:53:31 -0800, "Bob Loer" wrote:

The tail dragger I am building shows a closed loop rudder cable system. That
is to say both front pedals are joined by a cable that loops around a pulley
in front of the control stick on the floor. There are also pedal return
springs.

Is this extra weight and complexity needed? What is the advantage or
disadvantage? One point that my be pertinent is the rudder cable branches
off with a lower cable to the tail wheel just after it exits the fuselage.

Without the return cable, your pedals may flop backwards due to the weight
of the rudder cables and the ground attitude. If there's no stop, you may
end up with them falling flat on the floor if you take your feet off them.
A little tough to get back upright.

Some light springs (or just a limit cable) would do the trick.

The springs on my airplane are kind of weak, so the cables go a bit slack
when the plane is sitting on the ground. I regularly have people come up
and "warn" me that there's something wrong with my rudder cables....

Ron Wanttaja

Old November 26th 03, 01:53 AM
Rich S.

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 10:53:31 -0800, "Bob Loer" wrote:

Without the return cable, your pedals may flop backwards due to the weight
of the rudder cables and the ground attitude. If there's no stop, you may
end up with them falling flat on the floor if you take your feet off them.
A little tough to get back upright.

Some light springs (or just a limit cable) would do the trick.

Toe brake linkage will also act as a limit.

Rich S.

Old November 26th 03, 01:56 AM
Phil

I remember during my first solo circuit many years ago a twin cut across in
front of me on downwind. I stomped on the brakes so hard that if the
Cherokee hadn't had something similar, I swear I would have torn the control
horns off the rudder.

Phil Maley
Perth Australia

Old November 26th 03, 03:54 AM
David O

"Phil" philatwotechdotcomdotau wrote:

I remember during my first solo circuit many years ago a twin cut across in
front of me on downwind. I stomped on the brakes so hard that if the
Cherokee hadn't had something similar, I swear I would have torn the control
horns off the rudder.

Phil Maley
Perth Australia

Along similar lines, my first attempt to taxi an airplane found me
weaving back and forth across the taxiway as I tried to steer with the
yoke. Yes, I knew to use the rudder pedals to steer but that didn't
stop me from going to the yoke on several occasions early on.

David O -- http://www.AirplaneZone.com