"'Marine One' finds home at Nixon site"

Old July 1st 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Mike[_1_]

Default "'Marine One' finds home at Nixon site"

'Marine One' finds home at Nixon site
The restored, 6-ton Sikorsky Sea King, the first helicopter employed by
U.S. presidents, beginning with Eisenhower, has been placed on the
helipad at the Richard Nixon Library and Birthplace in Yorba Linda,
Calif., and today will officially open to public tours.
at http://www.washtimes.com/national/20...2458-8597r.htm

Old July 2nd 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Jack & Bev Biagini

Mike

The first Marine One was an H-34 / HUS. I know because it used to come into
Pax whenever V.P. Nixon wanted to put in a round of golf. At the time, the
"Sea King" (HSS-2) was in our hangar as a prototype.

Jack
ups.com...

Old July 2nd 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Leanne

"Jack & Bev Biagini" wrote in message
Mike

The first Marine One was an H-34 / HUS. I know because it used to come

into
Pax whenever V.P. Nixon wanted to put in a round of golf. At the time, the
"Sea King" (HSS-2) was in our hangar as a prototype.

There was an VH-34 assigned to, HMM-161, in Hawaii that came as a white top
VIP bird, in 1964. There was some talk of some of a foreign head of state
visiting the islands and this one came from MCAS El Toro. The last I knew of
it was that it went to Okinawa with 161 and the Brigade, as they were doing
a workup to go incountry. It stayed behind at MCAS Futenma. I think that it
was a 145 series Bu No.

Leanne

Old July 2nd 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Peter Stickney[_1_]

Jack & Bev Biagini wrote:

Mike

The first Marine One was an H-34 / HUS. I know because it used to come
into Pax whenever V.P. Nixon wanted to put in a round of golf. At the
time, the "Sea King" (HSS-2) was in our hangar as a prototype.

Jack
"Mike" wrote in message
ups.com...
'Marine One' finds home at Nixon site
The restored, 6-ton Sikorsky Sea King, the first helicopter employed by
U.S. presidents, beginning with Eisenhower, has been placed on the
helipad at the Richard Nixon Library and Birthplace in Yorba Linda,
Calif., and today will officially open to public tours.
at http://www.washtimes.com/national/20...2458-8597r.htm

Ant the first Presidential Helicopter was 57-2728, an USAF VH-13J, a Bell
47J Ranger.

--
Pete Stickney
Without data, all you have is an opinion
Old July 2nd 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Guy Alcala

Peter Stickney wrote:

Jack & Bev Biagini wrote:

Mike

The first Marine One was an H-34 / HUS. I know because it used to come
into Pax whenever V.P. Nixon wanted to put in a round of golf. At the
time, the "Sea King" (HSS-2) was in our hangar as a prototype.

Jack
"Mike" wrote in message
ups.com...
'Marine One' finds home at Nixon site
The restored, 6-ton Sikorsky Sea King, the first helicopter employed by
U.S. presidents, beginning with Eisenhower, has been placed on the
helipad at the Richard Nixon Library and Birthplace in Yorba Linda,
Calif., and today will officially open to public tours.
at http://www.washtimes.com/national/20...2458-8597r.htm

Ant the first Presidential Helicopter was 57-2728, an USAF VH-13J, a Bell
47J Ranger.

Beat me to it, although I don't remember if Ike ever flew in it.

Guy

Old July 2nd 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

From the Air and Space Museum website:
"Operation Alert" began on July 12, 1957, and by mid-afternoon,
Eisenhower had become the first U.S. President to fly on board a
helicopter. Maj. Barrett flew the H-13J bearing serial number 57-2729.
He carried President Eisenhower and a Secret Service agent. The
President sat in the right rear seat but leaned against a special
armrest installed for him on the center seat. He also used a special
footrest. The second Ranger, serial number 57-2728, carried the
President's personal physician and another Secret Service agent. Both
helicopters were based at National Airport, along with the other
presidential aircraft."

Old July 2nd 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Guy Alcala

" wrote:

From the Air and Space Museum website:

"Operation Alert" began on July 12, 1957, and by mid-afternoon,
Eisenhower had become the first U.S. President to fly on board a
helicopter. Maj. Barrett flew the H-13J bearing serial number 57-2729.
He carried President Eisenhower and a Secret Service agent. The
President sat in the right rear seat but leaned against a special
armrest installed for him on the center seat. He also used a special
footrest. The second Ranger, serial number 57-2728, carried the
President's personal physician and another Secret Service agent. Both
helicopters were based at National Airport, along with the other
presidential aircraft."

Thanks for confirming that.

Guy