"Bush's drills with the Alabama Guard confirmed"

Old February 13th 04, 12:14 PM
Cub Driver

Given the excitement, I posted the update yesterday, along with pages
about the F-102A and National Guard training.

There's a page on this subject at www.warbirdforum.com/bushf102.htm

I'll be updating it on March 1 to incorporate the pay records recently
published by the White House.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old February 13th 04, 12:27 PM
Cub Driver

He was discharged form the guard a few months early so he could attend
school that Fall.

In fact, he transferred to an inactive reserve unit, and he served six
months *longer* than his six-year obligation. One assumes this was a
quid pro quo for leaving the Texas ANG early. That is: one year of
inactive reserve to compensate for six months of ANG.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old February 13th 04, 02:35 PM
Bob McKellar

Cub Driver wrote:

On 12 Feb 2004 00:25:05 GMT, nt (Krztalizer) wrote:

then he said something about 'nine days' for the year in question

Lt Bush's four years of "weekend warrior" service (the first two years
were all much better than that, though the average was certainly under
the 38 or 39 days you might expect at the rate of one weekend a month
plus two weeks "summer camp". See
www.warbirdforum.com/bushf102.htm
for the breakdown.

This assumes that one point = one day, which of course is not certain.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

When I was a Naval reservist at the same time, a day of active duty (
"summer camp", and I did live in a tent on one!) was one point, but a 4
hour inactive duty drill was one point. This gave you 4 points per full
weekend.

A "normal" year would be 48 points inactive ( 12 weekends x 4 points each
) + 12 for the active duty ( 12, not 14 - we didn't get credit for a full
two weeks.)

Some folks, particularly aviators, could get a lot more points if the
worked at it.

You could also get points for other things, like taking correspondence
courses. I did that a lot when the Navy couldn't find anything useful for
me to do.

Bob McKellar

Old February 13th 04, 03:54 PM
OXMORON1

Bob wrote:
Some folks, particularly aviators, could get a lot more points if the
worked at it.

At the time, most ANG flying personnel could get 36 Additional Flying Traning
Periods of 4 hours each. (one point each)

You had to fly to get the credit, if the a/c didn't go, no credit.

You had to average a minimum amount of time per AFTP. IIRC it was 2 hours for
prop /c and about .75 to 1 hour for jet a/c.

The AFTP could be used for cross country RON flights, one period out, one
period back the next day or go for a weekend fly Friday night, Saturday, back
on Sunday.

A lot of ANG units worked a Tuesday thru Saturday workweek with scheduled
Friday night flying to work on night hours or in the case of PR units night
photo.

In TAC Recce units the quarterly training requirements were about the same for
ANG vs Active Duty, IIRC.

Oxmoron
MFE
CRS/CSS
Old February 13th 04, 04:34 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Cub Driver" wrote in message
On 12 Feb 2004 00:25:05 GMT, nt (Krztalizer) wrote:

then he said something about 'nine days' for the year in question

Lt Bush's four years of "weekend warrior" service (the first two years
were all much better than that, though the average was certainly under
the 38 or 39 days you might expect at the rate of one weekend a month
plus two weeks "summer camp". See
www.warbirdforum.com/bushf102.htm
for the breakdown.

This assumes that one point = one day, which of course is not certain.

No, one point can be different periods of time. For inactive duty training
(i.e., weekend drills), one point means a minimum of four hours duty. The
usual breakdown is two points per day, but sometimes you get snookered by
the system and work a full day for one IDT point. Active duty days accrue at
one point per day. You'd have to break out the IDT and ADT points to
determine the likely "number of days". FYI, IDT points are also "capped"--an
individual can only earn X amount of points per year from IDT.

Brooks

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com

and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

When I was a Naval reservist at the same time, a day of active duty (
"summer camp", and I did live in a tent on one!) was one point, but a 4
hour inactive duty drill was one point. This gave you 4 points per full
weekend.

Normally, yes. But the wording reads (at least on the Army side), a
*minimum* of four hours, and i have seen a single UTA last an entire day.
Sometimes it was necessary, but we generally avoided that to keep the
troopies happy.

A "normal" year would be 48 points inactive ( 12 weekends x 4 points each
) + 12 for the active duty ( 12, not 14 - we didn't get credit for a full
two weeks.)

Varies by service. The USAR gets (or was getting--they were looking at
changing this last I heard) 14 days for AT, while the ARNG gets 15.

Some folks, particularly aviators, could get a lot more points if the
worked at it.

On the Army and Air Force side, they have specially funded additional IDT
periods for flight proficiency requirements.

You could also get points for other things, like taking correspondence
courses. I did that a lot when the Navy couldn't find anything useful for
me to do.

Unfortunately, those fall under the annual IDT point cap (50 rings a bell),
so at some point they stop paying off in terms of credited retirement
points.

Brooks

Bob McKellar

Bush's guard record JDKAHN Home Built 13 October 3rd 04 09:38 PM
Is Chris Thomas a Real Pilot? jls Home Built 147 September 14th 04 03:03 PM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 05:26 PM