FAA Exemption 4988

Old December 9th 11, 02:56 AM
RAS56 RAS56 is offline
Member

Default FAA Exemption 4988

Data plate exemption letter, to be carried in all gliders in the USA. From what I can tell, the latest extension expired at the end of October 2011.

Anyone heard an update on if a new extension has been granted and if so, a link to it?

Updating the paperwork in the off season...

Thanks,

Rob
Old December 9th 11, 01:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

FAR 45.11 makes the exemption permanent. You no longer need to carry a copy
of an exemption notice.
http://www.ssa.org/myhome.asp?mbr=67...iv e=3/1/2010

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/

"RAS56" wrote in message ...

Data plate exemption letter, to be carried in all gliders in the USA.
From what I can tell, the latest extension expired at the end of October

--
RAS56

Old December 9th 11, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

I just realized that you have to be logged into the SSA site to access the
link. So, here is the reference to the changes made to FAR 45.11.

The glider data plate exemption will be permanent effective April
14, 2010.

This means that you will no longer be required to carry the data
plate exemption paperwork in your glider if you do not have an external data
plate.

FAR 45.11 "Marking of Products" has been revised with an effective
date of April 14, 2010, paragraph h states:

(h)Gliders. Paragraphs (a)(3) and (e) of this section do not apply
to gliders.

"RAS56" wrote in message ...

Data plate exemption letter, to be carried in all gliders in the USA.
From what I can tell, the latest extension expired at the end of October

Old December 9th 11, 07:13 PM
RAS56 RAS56 is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Paul View Post

"RAS56" wrote in message ...

Data plate exemption letter, to be carried in all gliders in the USA.
From what I can tell, the latest extension expired at the end of October
2011.

Anyone heard an update on if a new extension has been granted and if so,
a link to it?

Updating the paperwork in the off season...

Thanks,

Rob

--
RAS56

Thank you Wayne!!

Rob
Old December 9th 11, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JohnDeRosa

But of course it wouldn't hurt to continue to carry the paperwork/
letter/regulation on board just in case some over zealous ramp checker
doesn't know that gliders are exempt, complains that you don't have a
data plate, tries to ground your ship and you can't remember the FAR
number to save your hide and the day. Seems like cheap insurance. My
$0.02.
Old December 9th 11, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Dec 9, 12:22*pm, JohnDeRosa wrote:
But of course it wouldn't hurt to continue to carry the paperwork/
letter/regulation on board just in case some over zealous ramp checker
doesn't know that gliders are exempt, complains that you don't have a
data plate, tries to ground your ship and you can't remember the FAR
number to save your hide and the day. *Seems like cheap insurance. *My
$0.02.

Wouldn't the inspector have an obligation to tell you what regulation
was being violated? Seems a lot more reasonable than having to carry
a copy of every regulation you think you are not violating. I prefer
my ballast to be legally disposable in flight.

Andy
Old December 9th 11, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JohnDeRosa

On Dec 9, 2:45*pm, Andy wrote:

Wouldn't the inspector have an obligation to tell you what regulation
was being violated? *Seems a lot more reasonable than having to carry
a copy of every regulation you think you are not violating. I prefer
my ballast to be legally disposable in flight.

Andy

I get your point. My thought is that there are airframe ramp check
"low handing fruits" .
Things like airworthiness certificate (check) and data plate
(check?).

HEY, EVERY aircraft has a Data Plate ... RIGHT? Noooo, not for
gliders. Unfortunately the
(new) exception is all the way down at the bottom of the FAR (item H)
and easy to miss.

So my way of thinking is that it is just easier to have the goods in
hand on this one rather than scratching your head.

Thanks.
Old December 9th 11, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

John,

Gliders are still required to have a data plate; however, the exemption is
for the location where they are mounted.

Wayne

Old December 12th 11, 01:57 AM
RAS56 RAS56 is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDeRosa View Post
But of course it wouldn't hurt to continue to carry the paperwork/
letter/regulation on board just in case some over zealous ramp checker
doesn't know that gliders are exempt, complains that you don't have a
data plate, tries to ground your ship and you can't remember the FAR
number to save your hide and the day. Seems like cheap insurance. My
$0.02.
John,

I agree, just because the guy is an "inspector" doesn't necessarily mean that he knows what the heck he is talking about. Back in the day when our airline operated our altimeters below 10,000' with reference to QFE (and had for 50 years) I had an ACI sitting on the jumpseat about to become giddy with happiness as he pointed out our "mis-set" altimeters during taxi out and he was probably already filling out the violation paperwork in his head. When we stopped and corrected him, we found out he didn't have a clue about our procedures, nor was he aware of our ops specifications spelling it all out.

We have had inspectors show up at our last two glider contests on "fishing expeditions" and they seem always able to boat something or someone. Imagine getting pulled out of the grid on the last day trying to sort this out with a zealous FAA-type!

Seems like the .0001 ounce this small sheet would weigh would more than be offset by saving your bacon once, no? Plus, fire-starter material for a wilderness landout!

Take care all,

Rob

FAA Exemption Letter (USA) Bob 7U Soaring 19 January 23rd 10 04:17 AM
Low-Level Today - 4988-Harrier-W.jpg (1/1) RustY© Aviation Photos 3 November 10th 06 07:35 AM
California Tax exemption - gone after Oct 1st Limus A. Soaring 1 August 6th 04 04:46 PM
Cal Tax Exemption Gary L Home Built 5 January 27th 04 01:38 PM
Cal Tax Exemption Gary L Owning 0 January 25th 04 08:14 PM