Automatic Parachutes

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 6th 04, 10:36 AM
J.A.M.

The static line is packed into the parachute, at least in mine (australian
thinback). I have started to attach the static line to the glider recently,
after years of flying only with the manual option. To practice emergency
bailout on the deck I'd have to unbucle the static line, but as it's
difficult to get to it I don't do it anymore. I feel it to be of limited use
anyway, since an emergency bailout would be quite different to a normal exit
from the glider after a long flight. The adrenaline, the extra space
provided by jettisoning the cannopy, and the somewhat lessened concern for
damaging instruments, iPaqs, loggers, and other pharaphernalia we fly with
would make easier the bailout manouever. Just my opinion anyway.
Best option, of course, is never to have to bail out!!!

Good flights,
Jose M. Alvarez.
ASW-24
"Todd Pattist" escribió en el mensaje
Paul Repacholi wrote:

A policy to always get out with the chute on would be a good one IMO.

So is this easy to do with the static line option? I'm not
familiar with the static line setup. I see posts saying
that the line is "7 meters" long, but I presume it's at
least partially stored in the chute, as that's a lot of line
to be floating around loose or stuffed into a corner of a
cockpit. Is there enough slack to allow regular practice
with the chute on, or do you have to uncouple the static to
practice?
Todd Pattist - "WH" Ventus C
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)