Ballistic parachutes with pushers

Old May 16th 04, 04:20 PM
anonymous coward

Default Ballistic parachutes with pushers

Would I be right in assuming that ballistic parachutes and pusher props
don't go?

Thanks,

AC
Old May 16th 04, 06:14 PM
Occom

"anonymous coward" wrote in message
news
Would I be right in assuming that ballistic parachutes and pusher props
don't go?

Thanks,

AC

That does not make sense to me, how would you arrive at such a conclusion?

Old May 16th 04, 06:32 PM
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , anonymous coward
says...

Would I be right in assuming that ballistic parachutes and pusher props
don't go?

Thanks,

AC

Actually that's a bad assumption unless you were to fire the chute thru the
prop. I would guess the majority of Ballastic chutes now in service are on
pusher type ultralight style aircraft.

See ya

Chuck S

Old May 16th 04, 06:34 PM
anonymous coward

On Sun, 16 May 2004 17:14:37 +0000, Occom wrote:

"anonymous coward" wrote in message
news
Would I be right in assuming that ballistic parachutes and pusher props
don't go?

Thanks,

AC

That does not make sense to me, how would you arrive at such a conclusion?

I was worried there might be a possibility of the parachute or its bridle
getting caught in a pusher propellor - especially during deployment.

The sort of designs I had in mind were the LongEZ or Junqua IBIS. I can
see there probably isn't any problem with most flexwing microlight designs.

AC

Old May 16th 04, 07:04 PM
Mike Patterson

On Sun, 16 May 2004 17:14:37 GMT, "Occom"
wrote:

"anonymous coward" wrote in message
news
Would I be right in assuming that ballistic parachutes and pusher props
don't go?

Thanks,

AC

That does not make sense to me, how would you arrive at such a conclusion?

I assume he's thinking that when you deploy the 'chute the plane will
tend to tip nose-down, risking the 'chute getting fouled in the prop.

Do I get a prize? :-)

Mike

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
Old May 16th 04, 09:06 PM
Ron Webb

I asked a similar question once of the local ultralight trike guru. The way
the chute was mounted, it looked to me like it would be a foregone
conclusion that it would get fouled in the prop after it deployed.

He said "yea, so what?"

The rigging was a very heavy Kevlar strap (so he said) and would simply stop
the prop cold.

I wonder how many times this theory has been tested...

Old May 16th 04, 10:22 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Ron Webb" wrote:

I asked a similar question once of the local ultralight trike guru. The way
the chute was mounted, it looked to me like it would be a foregone
conclusion that it would get fouled in the prop after it deployed.

He said "yea, so what?"

The rigging was a very heavy Kevlar strap (so he said) and would simply stop
the prop cold.

I wonder how many times this theory has been tested...

Nobody has ever complained of this happening. ;(
Old May 17th 04, 12:35 AM
nauga

anonymous coward wrote...

The sort of designs I had in mind were the LongEZ or Junqua IBIS...

There are clearly slow-speed pushers with ballistic chutes, as I
think you knew based on some stuff I snipped. On a Long-Eze I'd be
more concerned about canopy/shroud strength and maximum deployment
speed rather than prop fouling. I'd bet adding a chute to a
fast cruiser where it wasn't designed in from the start would
either add a significant amount of weight in terms of additional structure
and heavy-duty chute or reduce cruise speed to something close to max
deployment speed. Or maybe just panacea or severely restricted
utility.

Dave 'strop size' Hyde

Old May 17th 04, 02:36 AM
Bushy

The hand thrown one that was used out here in the Australian outback about
four weeks ago (with no report) was thrown while the prop was still
rotating.

The steel cable was cut by the prop, but not before it damaged the wooden
prop beyond repair. The parachute did not remain with the aircraft after
that.

The aircraft was brought to the ground still under control and the
controlled crash did not injure anyone. (Apart from a serious pride injury!)

I know because I was talking to him that night about buying the advertised
aircraft and he had taken it up for a last spin........ and it started
running rough.......

He would have to be one of the luckiest blokes I have ever talked to.......

Peter

Old May 17th 04, 10:27 AM
anonymous coward

news
Would I be right in assuming that ballistic parachutes and pusher props
don't go?

Thanks,

AC

That does not make sense to me, how would you arrive at such a conclusion?

I assume he's thinking that when you deploy the 'chute the plane will
tend to tip nose-down, risking the 'chute getting fouled in the prop.

Do I get a prize? :-)

I'm not sure, I'll have to ask the quizmaster. My reasoning is mostly
visual and may be wrong, but it goes something like this...

To deploy, a parachute has to be in-line with the direction of motion of
whatever it's slowing down. As counterexamples, if you were in a 'plane
and shot a ballistic parachute forward I imagine it would get swept back
over the canopy without opening. If you shot it upwards or sideways it
wouldn't open until it was swept back behind the aircraft, because there
would only be lateral airflow with respect to the canopy.

This is assuming the aircraft is moving forwards, which I guess it may
well not be... But the problem I envisaged was dynamic rather than
static-ish. When the canopy is open and the plane descending, I guess
whether it's nose down or tail down or level just depends on the
positioning of the attachment point.

AC