How embarrassing!

Old August 27th 04, 04:20 PM
Corky Scott

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:24:58 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

I told him that would be fine but I would need to know their weights so I
could adjust the fuel load in our 172 N. He emailed back that he is 350 lbs.

I'm quite sure that the seats are not rated for anywhere near that. Even if
they are, as the maintenance officer who has had these 28 year old seats out
many times to repair the trim and covering, there is no way I want to put
350 pounds on them.

Now what do I do? One thing for sure, it's the last time I ask someone I
haven't met to go flying.

My opinion is you have no choice. You can't fly with him AND his
compatriot and you have to tell him that and tell him why. With full
fuel in our FBO's very new C172's, you exceed the maximum allowable
weight if you attempt to carry four FAA standard size people.

There are several Java script W&B calculators out there on the
internet, and I just ran the numbers for a 172N. Even with no one
else beside you and the 350lb reporter, it still put the mark off the
scale.

You have to tell him that you cannot safely carry him.

If anything, this should tell the media just how limited the weight
carrying ability many general aviation aircraft really are, which
should give them a clue as to what a poor bomb they'd make.

Corky Scott
Old August 27th 04, 06:42 PM
Gene Seibel

"Roger Long" wrote in message ...
Where is Miss Manners when you need her. I think I've gotten myself in a
real jam.

Our club could really use some publicity. I saw a very nice article about a
flying school in a nearby city so I called the reporter and offered to take
him flying. He is quite interested in doing a story on the club and asked if
the other reporter on his beat could come along.

I told him that would be fine but I would need to know their weights so I
could adjust the fuel load in our 172 N. He emailed back that he is 350 lbs.

I'm quite sure that the seats are not rated for anywhere near that. Even if
they are, as the maintenance officer who has had these 28 year old seats out
many times to repair the trim and covering, there is no way I want to put
350 pounds on them.

Now what do I do? One thing for sure, it's the last time I ask someone I
haven't met to go flying.

Gravity discriminates. It should be outlawed.
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html
Old August 27th 04, 06:44 PM
Peter Duniho

"Roger Long" wrote in message
. ..
[...]
I'm quite sure that the seats are not rated for anywhere near that. Even

if
they are, as the maintenance officer who has had these 28 year old seats

out
many times to repair the trim and covering, there is no way I want to put
350 pounds on them.

Why are you sure?

I knew a guy that large who was a pilot. My mechanic is that large, and
he's ridden in my plane with no problem. The seats in my plane are even
cheaper-built than a 172's.

350lbs is pretty big, but it's not clear to me why you think it's
disqualifying.

Pete

Old August 27th 04, 06:47 PM
Bob Chilcoat

Isn't there a weight limit for the floor of a 172? 200 lb for each front
seat comes to mind. As a somewhat reformed fatty, I doubt very seriously
that he will be offended if you simply tell him that the plane cannot carry
a passenger of his size. Point out that if the floor fails he might have
one of those looooooong falls.

I have a similar problem with a 300+ friend who wants a ride in the Archer.
I think the W&B will be OK, but since we recently had to reskin the wing
under the wingwalk because of damage, I don't want him walking on the wing.

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America

Old August 27th 04, 07:11 PM
Peter Duniho

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
Isn't there a weight limit for the floor of a 172? 200 lb for each front
seat comes to mind.

I can't imagine that it's 200lbs per seat. I know too many people over 200
lbs (myself included) who pilot or ride in 172s.

If there is such a limit, it's woefully poorly documented.

Old August 27th 04, 07:45 PM
Michael

"C J Campbell" wrote
Anyway, there is no way a 350 lb guy is going to fit in a 172. I have known
such who flew in specially modified 182s from the back seat. He is
undoubtedly used to being told that his weight is an issue.

Don't bet on it. If we're talking about a 6'8" musclar type, you're
right. But if we're talking about some guy who is 5'10" and just
seriously overweight, no problem, he will fit. Seen it done.

Michael
Old August 27th 04, 08:05 PM
H.P.

Don't screw around with reporters. You don't have a choice - calculate fuel
and take him up, even if it's only for 10 minutes. In exchange for some
seat repair, you'll have a media friend for life. The added business from
all the ink you get will more than pay for the seats, and then some. You
could even become a quotable source for future aviation stories.

. ..

Old August 27th 04, 08:59 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Roger Long wrote:
I told him that would be fine but I would need to know their weights so I
could adjust the fuel load in our 172 N. He emailed back that he is 350 lbs.

A 350lb guy will fit in a C-172.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old August 27th 04, 09:42 PM
Shiver Me Timbers

H.P. wrote:

you'll have a media friend for life. The added business from
all the ink you get will more than pay for the seats, and then some.
You could even become a quotable source for future aviation stories.

Exactly.

If you can't take them up together then take them up seperately.

If you can't take one up due to weight, then get a bigger plane.

Go out and find someone with a bigger airplane even if it's privately
owned. Explain your situation to the owner if necessary and make the
flight.

Simple problems need simple solutions, why are you making a mountain
out of a molehill.
Old August 27th 04, 11:35 PM
Chris W

William W. Plummer wrote:

Please don't lie or try to be coy. Simply show him the weight and
balance calculation and explain how his weight rules him out for the
plane. Do you think he is unaware of his weight? That's silly.

I whole heartedly agree with you on this. I have been in the position
where the natural tendency or would be to make an excuse or lie, instead
the person I was dealing with was straight forwarded, polite and very
honest. I came away from that experience with a great deal of respect
for that person.

However, first I would try to find some plane you could take him up in
even if you have to rent it.

--
Chris W

Bring Back the HP 15C
http://hp15c.org

Not getting the gifts you want? The Wish Zone can help.
http://thewishzone.com