Rookie

Old May 21st 08, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Rookie

Hello,

I am not a pilot - but I play a lot of flight simulator. I wanted to
talk to some real pilots about flying proficiently. I feel like I am
pretty good on simulator, but I have no way of knowing b/c I don't
have feedback from an actual pilot.

I was wondering what makes a pilot proficient? When making turns,
does the VSI fluctuate at all or should a pilot be able to keep it at
0 fpm at all times? What degree of fluctuation is considered
proficient? When leveling off after a climb or descent, how quickly
should the pilot be able to get into straight and level? When landing
an aircraft - especially a jet, does a proficient pilot stay precisely
on the glide slope 100%? How else can I build proficiency and how
well does flight simulator emulate reality?

If you are a proficient pilot, what types of things do you ensure in
take-off, cruise, landing, etc?

I've heard that good piloting is more about knowledge than skill, but
personally it seems like skill is a massive aspect of flying - am I
wrong?

Thanks so much for the advice!
Old May 21st 08, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:
[...]

For starters, there are the practical test standards for private pilot
that you can find he

http://www.faa.gov/education_researc...S-8081-14A.pdf

Then you can go for the commercial standards found he

http://www.faa.gov/education_researc...S-8081-12B.pdf

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old May 21st 08, 07:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ken S. Tucker

Hi, join a flying club, take a few lessons, maybe become
a pilot if you're that interested.
Ken

Old May 21st 08, 09:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
terry

On May 21, 12:12*pm, wrote:
[...]

Skill is very important, but its a skill any normal person can learn,
some of us just take longer than others, but we all get there if we
stick at it. Most flying schools have what they call a trial
instructional flight, where you can go up for maybe half an hour with
an instructor just to see if you really do want to do it. This might
cost you $100 or so, depending on what country you are in. what ever
you do , dont become like Mxsmanic and pretend you know what flying is
all about without ever trying it. Ask questions by all means, but
it will help if you show you are really interested by taking a flight.
If for some reason that is just not practical like you just cant
afford it at the moment, you never know your luck on usenet, if you
say where you are located somebody might just have a spare seat and
offer to take you up. Many of us pilots like to spread the word about
aviation and encourage others to get started. The more the merrier
because it will help keep the costs down if the planes are getting
used more.
Good Luck
Terry
PPL Downunder
Old May 21st 08, 01:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Lou

On May 21, 3:43 am, terry wrote:
On May 21, 12:12 pm, wrote:

[...]

What ever happened to the ability to go work off flying lessons
by doing work around the airport?
Lou
Old May 21st 08, 01:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
terry

On May 21, 10:00*pm, Lou wrote:
On May 21, 3:43 am, terry wrote:

On May 21, 12:12 pm, wrote:

[...]

* Lou- Hide quoted text -

never heard of it happening in australia, too many legal issues most
likely.
Old May 21st 08, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

wrote in message
[...]

Sorry, but clearly way off topic for this group. If we like this kind of
stuff get started, just multiply the MX noise level time 10.

Old May 21st 08, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Lou wrote:

What ever happened to the ability to go work off flying lessons
by doing work around the airport?
Lou

You are kidding right? Let's see, $100/hour flight divided $8.00/hour =
12.5 hours of work for every 1 hour of flight time.

But the big problem is insurance namely workers' compensation. The
carrier get a premium based on wages paid. If there are no wages there
is no premium. And while there are policies that will cover volunteer
labor they are few and far between.
Old May 21st 08, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

I've heard that good piloting is more about knowledge than skill, but
personally it seems like skill is a massive aspect of flying - am I
wrong?

The cool thing about flying -- and this is something that many uninitiated
wannabe pilots don't understand -- is that you can walk into virtually any
airport and ask to take an introductory flight lesson.

As in one lesson. No more, no less. No long-term commitment, no contracts
to sign. Just one lesson. I don't know why this isn't common knowledge,
but of the hundreds of hotel guests I've told this to, many are completely
surprised to hear it. (They apparently equate flight school with college,
where you sign up for an entire semester? Just guessing...)

Anyway -- my advice, FWIW: Go take an introductory flight lesson. You will
be surprised at how much you already know -- and at how much you DON'T
know -- about flying.

Beware, however: It's addictive!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 21st 08, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Lou

On May 21, 8:31 am, Gig 601Xl Builder
wrote:
Lou wrote:

What ever happened to the ability to go work off flying lessons
by doing work around the airport?
Lou

You are kidding right? Let's see, $100/hour flight divided $8.00/hour =
12.5 hours of work for every 1 hour of flight time.

But the big problem is insurance namely workers' compensation. The
carrier get a premium based on wages paid. If there are no wages there
is no premium. And while there are policies that will cover volunteer
labor they are few and far between.

Actually Gig, that sounds about right. I'm not saying a 40 year old
guy
that has 40 hours of a job every week would want this, but to put in
12-13
hours of cutting grass, cleaning the fbo, or gathering garbage for 1
hour
of dual doesn't sound bad. It may not be the perfect setup but if I
had to
trade labor for lessons it doesn't sound off at all. If necessary,
get a part
time job at the airport.
Lou