Sun N Fun PIREPS?

Old April 25th 05, 03:37 AM
John Clonts

"George Patterson" wrote in message news:l6Bae.135$pc7.48@trndny05...
Jay Honeck wrote:
I just did a search for "Middleboro, KY" in Destination Direct (my
flight planning software), and came up blank.

Kyler's "nearest airport" program shows that Elizabethtown (EKX) and Bardstown (BRY) are the two closest
fields.

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.

Wow, looks like Kyler needs to take a look a that "nearest airport" program, those are over a 100 miles away

--
Cheers,
John Clonts

Old April 25th 05, 04:42 PM
Dave Butler

Kyle Boatright wrote:

As an aside, the geography near Middlesboro is unusual. One of the few
towns and/or airports you'll find that is completely encircled by mountains.
That's what happens at the center of an ancient meteor impact crater...

Interesting. Didn't know it was an impact crater. Wish I had known that when I
was there. I flew in a few years ago when Glacier Girl was under construction in
a Cherokee 180 at full GW. Did a circling departure over the field to gain
enough altitude to feel comfortable heading for the notch in the surrounding
mountains.

Dave
Old April 25th 05, 08:06 PM
jsmith

And you didn't notice the odd shape, compared to the surrounding
terrain, when you were flying around inside it?

Old April 25th 05, 08:23 PM
Dave Butler

jsmith wrote:
And you didn't notice the odd shape, compared to the surrounding
terrain, when you were flying around inside it?

I guess not. It was a few years ago, so I don't remember in detail. Not very
observant, I guess, eh?

DGB

Old April 26th 05, 01:42 AM
Kyle Boatright

"jsmith" wrote in message
And you didn't notice the odd shape, compared to the surrounding terrain,
when you were flying around inside it?

There are mountains in the area, and the first time you go there, it simply
looks like you found an odd feature where everything seems to be uphill. I
had been there twice before I read a National Geographic article about
meteor impact craters that identified Middlesboro...

Sometimes you can't see the crater for all the mountains, or something like
that...

KB

Old April 26th 05, 03:48 PM
Dave Butler

Kyle Boatright wrote:
"jsmith" wrote in message

And you didn't notice the odd shape, compared to the surrounding terrain,
when you were flying around inside it?

There are mountains in the area, and the first time you go there, it simply
looks like you found an odd feature where everything seems to be uphill. I
had been there twice before I read a National Geographic article about
meteor impact craters that identified Middlesboro...

Sometimes you can't see the crater for all the mountains, or something like
that...

Take a look at http://maps.google.com, type in "Middlesboro, KY", and then click
on "satellite". I don't think the impact crater is extremely obvious. Dave
Old April 26th 05, 05:27 PM
W P Dixon

According to the National Park "story of the park" the flat section may or
may not have been caused by a meteor strike, another possibility is the
collapse of a large underground cavern. And in this area , caverns are
extremely common.
IF anyone gets bored and wants to go on an adventure I would recomend a
trip along the top of Pine Mountain from Letcher County down into Harlan
County. Just a small one lane dirt road( more of a wide path) and it is
really like stepping back in time. I used to go hunting up there, and it
seemed to be just miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles.
Makes you daydream about being Daniel Boone....and a time before the
greed of man cut down entire forests off the sides of the mountains and
before we stripped mined what was left into a pile of rubble. Just look at
Jenkins , KY for that. Pitiful, on US 23 at the top of Pine Mountain,
looking toward Virginia is very pretty, you look back at Kentucky and see a
waste land around Jenkins..like a nuke went off.

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

Sun N Fun Pireps? Jay Honeck Piloting 1 April 13th 05 02:10 AM
Any PIREPs on Star West aviation, suggestions for possible shop forpre-buy in the Denver area? Jack Allison Owning 3 March 27th 05 04:40 PM
PIREPS on Pilot PA21-70T headset? Chris Ehlbeck Piloting 0 March 24th 05 01:25 AM
PIREPS / airliners [email protected] Piloting 10 January 22nd 05 12:15 AM
Good Source For PIREPS? Phoenix Pilot Instrument Flight Rules 3 August 25th 03 03:59 AM