Lilium Aviation flies prototype of its 160-knot all-electric VTOL

Old July 9th 17, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Lilium Aviation flies prototype of its 160-knot all-electric VTOL

On Saturday, July 8, 2017 at 4:13:00 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Friday, July 7, 2017 at 11:05:56 AM UTC-5, Larry Dighera wrote:
On Tue, 4 Jul 2017 23:21:41 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

This company's efforts fit very well with the legacy that Otto Lilienthal
started in Germany. Having pioneered heavier than air flight, Germany is a
fitting place for flying cars to come into their own.

While I have great respect for the late German aviation pioneer Otto
Lilienthal https://youtu.be/t-XC0dxerYs
http://british-hang-gliding-history.com/1971/articles/larry-dighera-cert-1971.html
who gave his life for human flight saying, "Sacrifices must be made," I'm
not sure it is proper to assert that "Germany is a fitting place for flying
cars to come into their own."

It is one thing to express disagreement. But here you are questioning whether my opinion is "proper". How could it not be proper? Heavier than air flight was mastered outside of Berlin. On top of this, it was the Germans who invented jet airplanes. And on top of both of those, it was the Germans who invented computers. Or "a" German, specifically Konrad Zuse. Flying cars will have computers as integral components for what gets them off the ground. Some will have jets. And all of them will be doing heavier than air flight.

All three of these major aspects were invented in Germany, and you are raising a flag that I have expressed a personal opinion that it would be fitting for the Munich-based company Lilium to be the ones who bring flying cars into their own.

A very curious statement. I can guess why you've said it. But I don't have any need for you to explain. I am quite confident that my personal opinion is within the bounds of what I know to be proper.

And there is of course a 4th major aspect for the legacy of a flying car that can be mentioned here as well. And that would be the invention of the car itself. Credit for the first practical motorcar is traced back to Germany on top of all these other amazing inventions.

The "Kitty Hawk of the horseless carriage", if you will, was Mannheim, Germany.

And we could go even further back into history, because Benz invented the gas powered car about 20 miles south of the place where Johannes Gutenberg invented the printing press. That's an invention that is credited for going a long way toward pulling us out of the "Dark Ages" and into the "Enlightenment" and the scientific revolution. Who knows how long it would have taken to invent things like cars, planes, jets, computers and such if it wasn't for the printing press.

All of these things happened right there in Germany. (Or in the case of the printing press, a place that would become Germany.)

These are widely known facts that I see to be as strong support for my opinion about flying cars. Of course, anyone is free to disagree.

~ COPE