SeeYou and EW-USER Text File?

Old April 9th 09, 04:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

Default SeeYou and EW-USER Text File?

Hi,

I half-heartedly searched the SeeYou forum for this, so apoligies if I
missed it. I have an EW Microrecorder with the SD Card. Recorder
stays in the glider and is used as a "dumb" backup (so it's not
connected to a PDA or other input device). SD card comes home with
me.

Question: Is there a way to export (just) the task declaration from
SeeYou in the EW format which I could copy/paste into the appropriate
space in the EW-User text document.

More explanation: I know I can just type the task into the text file
using any text editor. But, I was hoping to avoid this - especially
the risk of mis-typing under pressure. Not to mention that I'm lazy.
I also know that I could use SeeYou connected via the USB cable to my
laptop to declare directly into the EW. But, the whole reason for
buying the one with the SD card was to eliminate having to have the
laptop on the field.
Old April 9th 09, 07:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Wyld[_2_]

At 03:52 09 April 2009, Papa3 wrote:
[...]

From my reading of the EW user manual and as a SeeYou user, it would
appear not.
Your choices seem to be:
1, Take the MicroRecorder with you and load the task into it from SeeYou
2, Talk to SeeYou and ask them nicely to make SeeYou able to export
declarations to file (in the same way that it can for SeeYou Mobile
exports). They are usually very helpful people and it won't hurt to ask!

What happens if you have a change of task plan when you are at the flying
field?

Old April 9th 09, 09:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_3_]

At 06:00 09 April 2009, Peter Wyld wrote:
[...]

From my reading of the EW user manual and as a SeeYou user, it would
appear not.
Your choices seem to be:
1, Take the MicroRecorder with you and load the task into it from SeeYou
2, Talk to SeeYou and ask them nicely to make SeeYou able to export
declarations to file (in the same way that it can for SeeYou Mobile
exports). They are usually very helpful people and it won't hurt to

ask!

Also, as there are an ever increasing number of recorders with Flash
devices as the prefered medium for Downloading flights and Uploading
tasks, this is going to become a more widespread problem.

Future recorders may not support cabled connections at all, but have a
Flash device as the only transfer medium.

Nothing is Permanent but Change.

Old April 9th 09, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wojciech Scigala

Użytkownik Papa3 napisał:

Question: Is there a way to export (just) the task declaration from
SeeYou in the EW format which I could copy/paste into the appropriate
space in the EW-User text document.

Yes, SeeYou seeks for a disk drive with EW-USER.TXT in root directory,
if it finds one, it thinks it is a EW microRecorder connected. So, place
the EW-USER.TXT on the card (it should be already there if you were
using the card with the logger), plug the card to PC using USB card
reader and SeeYou will happily put the declaration on it.

Unfortunately it is not possible with SeeYou Mobile - you'll need serial
connection to upload declaration.

--
Wojtu¶.net
Old April 9th 09, 01:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wojciech Scigala

Użytkownik Wojciech Scigala napisał:

Unfortunately it is not possible with SeeYou Mobile - you'll need serial
connection to upload declaration.

Update: I've just put a message on SeeYou Mobile forum asking if such a
feature could be introduced.

--
Wojtu¶.net
Old April 9th 09, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Apr 9, 8:01*am, Wojciech Scigala wrote:
Użytkownik Papa3 napisał:

Question: *Is there a way to export (just) the task declaration from
SeeYou in the EW format which I could copy/paste into the appropriate
space in the EW-User text document.

Yes, SeeYou seeks for a disk drive with EW-USER.TXT in root directory,
if it finds one, it thinks it is a EW microRecorder connected. So, place
the EW-USER.TXT on the card (it should be already there if you were
using the card with the logger), plug the card to PC using USB card
reader and SeeYou will happily put the declaration on it.

--
Wojtu¶.net

Wojciech,

Brilliant! Thanks so much. I tested it out, and it works not only
with a USB card reader but even with the PCMCIA card reader.

Regards,
Erik Mann
LS8-18 (P3)
Old April 9th 09, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Wyld[_2_]

At 12:16 09 April 2009, Wojciech Scigala wrote:
Użytkownik Wojciech Scigala napisał:

Unfortunately it is not possible with SeeYou Mobile - you'll need

serial

connection to upload declaration.

Update: I've just put a message on SeeYou Mobile forum asking if such a

feature could be introduced.

--
Wojtu¶.net

But if you had SeeYou Mobile, surely you would be using it serially
attached to the MicroRecorder?

Old April 9th 09, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wojciech Scigala

Użytkownik Peter Wyld napisał:

But if you had SeeYou Mobile, surely you would be using it serially
attached to the MicroRecorder?

Well, if you're asking me personally I have it already connected. But
Papa3 described his case when EW is just a backup logger and it's not
connected to anything. I believe there may be more cases like this.

--
Wojtu¶.net