Softie Parachute for Schleicher gliders with a seat back cutout

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 9th 19, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt

Default Softie Parachute for Schleicher gliders with a seat back cutout

Last year I bought a new Softie parachute for my ASH 31. Not researching things through properly, I briefly read the Softie website (ok, I’m a dipstick for not drilling down in the "not so" fine print) and ordered the 240 MINI Softie model. Being a guy that is moderately “prosperous”, but can still bench press 225 lbs, it appeared to be the correct item. After flying my 31 a few times with the new rig, it was painfully obvious that the dimensions of the container didn’t fit the seat back cutout. The rig was too tall and too wide. The forced rounding of my shoulders and arching of my back caused severe lower back pain. I bought an inflatable bladder for lumbar support.
I complained to my master rigger / dealer about the issues during my recent repack. Ted mentioned that Softie can build custom sized containers (many times at no additional cost - call Para-Phernalia for details). We contacted Para-Phernalia with the seat back cutout dimensions and they recommended the MICRO Softie (I should have done this before ordering!). At first glance, this model is for a small pilot under 180 lbs. Properly reading the MICRO Softie page shows they can make it with the 240 lb parachute.
After some discussion and since my rig was fairly new, Para-Phernalia said they would construct a new MICRO container and move my parachute and drogue chute over to it. I went to the factory and they were wonderful. They gave me a credit on the old container (which they will sell to a drop zone). The overall net cost was very reasonable (YMMV). The customer service was absolutely fantastic and custom colors (Seahawks, Patriots, Dodger, Ranger fan?) are available.
I’ve now flown many flights with the new MICRO rig and it fits the ASH 31 (26) seat back cutout brilliantly. No additional back pain. The MICRO is a bit thicker than the MINI which works for me.
Others have tried the MICRO on in a ASG 29. One pilot thought the MICRO was superb and much better fit than his MINI Softie. Another pilot thought it was OK compared to his MINI Softie and might be better in the 32.
Bottom line, before you order a new parachute, contact Para-Phernalia directly with the dimensions of the seat you will be using it in. You will be VERY happy with the results.
Craig