US ELT Installation

Old December 7th 05, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default US ELT Installation

T o d d P a t t i s t wrote:

"Wayne Paul" wrote:

Check CB radio shops or search Froogle for "SWR meter" for dozens
under $50.

The standard CB SWR meter's range is 2 to 30 MHz. For accurate measurements
you need one designed for VHF frequencies.

It's worthwhile comparing the measurements you get with the
two, which is what I did when I bought my CB-intended SWR
meter. (Used a Bird for the comparison) The numbers were
within 0.1 of each other over the entire aircraft band. Of
course, I bought my Radio Shack meter 10 years ago, so the
design may have changed. If anyone has a good VHF SWR meter
and wants to report a comparison with a current Radio Shack
(or other) model, it would be a valuable piece of
information.

I did the same comparison (also using a Bird instrument - shouldn't
every glider pilot have a Bird in his tool box?) with a 25 year old
Radio Shack model, and got the same results. Wayne and I discussed the
issue, and concluded that the CB units are probably just fine for SWR
measurements, so use it if you have one. The reason is SWR measurements
are ratio measurements, so frequency effects tend to cancel. Not so if
you want to do power measurements, for example.

Wayne suggested (and I agree) that if you are going to buy one, spend
the extra $10 and get one for our frequencies. Here are couple we think
would do the job, but we haven't actually used either of them:

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/meters-konnex1.htm

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...rodid=MFJ-812B
(the $29 unit)

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old December 7th 05, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Other Options Was US ELT Installation

Hi All,

One option that I have not seen discussed is using the voice
communication antenna already installed in most gliders for both the
comm radio and ELT.

It would seem that a directional coupler could be installed in the
existing RF cable that would direct the ELT transmission to the
communication antenna without going to the comm radio input receiver.

Presumably, if one is hurt severely enough, then voice communications
would be of little value and the ELT transmission would be paramount.

As always, thoughts and feedback appreciated.

mhr

Old December 7th 05, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Bill Daniels wrote:

You bet I'm serious. I don't think it would hard at all to convince the
CAP or any other SAR group that landing a motorless aircraft in a remote
area justifies a precautionary ELT activation. (BTW, I've already asked
them.) If I couldn't convince them, my a** is more important than their
regulations anyway. As for distraction, I fly WAY ahead of my glider -
nothing is done at the last minute. I'd have the antenna extended at 2000'
AGL and note the switch position so it could be activated on downwind.

This would still not provide a signal in crashes that weren't preceded
by an intent to land, or intended landings that weren't in a remote
area. It would be better than no ELT, I think, but would you be willing
to turn on the ELT every time you were low, including ridge soaring
(Peter Masak's case)? A low save might mean the ELT was on for many
minutes, and ridge soaring might go on for hours.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old December 7th 05, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"mhr" wrote in message
oups.com:

Hi All,

One option that I have not seen discussed is using the voice
communication antenna already installed in most gliders for both the
comm radio and ELT.

It would seem that a directional coupler could be installed in the
existing RF cable that would direct the ELT transmission to the
communication antenna without going to the comm radio input receiver.

Presumably, if one is hurt severely enough, then voice communications
would be of little value and the ELT transmission would be paramount.

As always, thoughts and feedback appreciated.

mhr

One downside of this is that most of the comm antennae are in the tail.
Frequently the empennage separates from the rest of the fuselage in an
accident. and even in a fair number of ground loops. I think nearer to
the ELT would be better.

Larry

"01" USA

Old December 29th 05, 05:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Jim's web site on his ELT installation is very informative, and he
brings up a good point about testing the function of your ELT, whether
it's required by "FAR" or not. Here's another good reason TO test.

Several years back, I installed an AmeriKing ELT in my 1-26. When my
A&P/IA and I went to test it, nothing happened. We found that the
battery label on the bottom case was mislabeled, so the batteries did
not form a continuous chain, ergo, no electricity was supplied to the
unit, not it banged or switched on. When we turnd the base around, it
worked fine. So we "corrected" the label on the case and it's checked
out fine every year when we exercise it, need to or not. And I DO hope
that those are the ONLY times that my ELT sees use.

And this should serve as a word to those wise enough to install the
AmeriKing units (or those from ANY manufacturer). Since batteries are
cheap, I try to replace them at each annual, including the remote
switch battery (a pesky 2/3 A cell, though available at Radio Shack).
The six D cells get used in any number of flashlights or toys over the
year, they've still got most of their charge from sitting in the glider
unused.

Fly safe,

-Pete

jphoenix wrote:
Eric,

I installed mine this past weekend, the antenna is located forward and
under the instrument panel glareshield, attached to the rudder pedal
bracket and installed within 20° of vertical as required by the
manual.

AmeriKing, $206 including shipping from Paul Remde.

See details he www.jimphoenix.com

Old December 29th 05, 01:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

To be completely legal, you very well may need to use a particular brand
of battery. Those will be specified in the manual. The ones most often
specified that I have seen are the Duracell -- because they have a
printed expiration date on each cell and are rather ubiquitous.
Therefore, the batteries must be "in date" and of the approved brand to
be legal.

Larry

oups.com:

Old December 29th 05, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

01-- Zero One wrote:
To be completely legal, you very well may need to use a particular brand
of battery. Those will be specified in the manual. The ones most often
specified that I have seen are the Duracell -- because they have a
printed expiration date on each cell and are rather ubiquitous.

Actually, I DO follow the manual for all the batteries. The manual
recommends that the remote battery (the oddball two-thirds-"AA" cell)
be a Duracell LITHIUM battery, and that cell is good for 8 years.
However the manual says that "alkaline type cells are available from
various manufacturers and may be used in place of the Lithium cell...",
but the "Alkaline battery must be replaced every four years" (remote
only, Page 26). You have to replace the batteries by the "freshness
date" on the batteries, for both the main power "D" cells and the
remote. I recall the manual had the Duracell requirement, likely
because of the freshness date.

http://www.ameri-king.com/pdf/9.1.22.pdf

Now days, all major brands of batteries (Duracell, Eveready/Energizer,
Rayovac) have the freshness date printed on. I use the Duracells for
the main power -- it's tough finding the 2/3 AA cell from Duracell.
Ameri-King still stipulates Duracell for main power...and this is a
good way to stay legal, for a few pennies more (sometimes less!).

-Pete

Old December 29th 05, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yeah, the manual actually specifies the part number Duracell to be used
and warns that failure to use that specific battery voids the warranty
and the TSO and your compliance with The Rules - if you should decide
that you need to comply with the rules ;-)

Speaking of rules, has anyone heard from any contest organizers which
contests will require ELT's?

Jim

Old December 29th 05, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Jim - and anyone else interested - Region 8 will not require the use of
an ELT for the 2006 Regionals

Jay (Region 8 CM)

Old December 29th 05, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Actually, I had better clarify the above statement. Providing that the
rules committee follows the decision they made in November and posted
on the SRA site under the minutes of that meeting, use of ELT's will be
at the contest organizers discretion - as it was in 2005. If that rule
is finalized during the February meeting, Region 8 will not require the
use of an ELT for the 2006 contest.

I do wish that the rules committee would make their rules final a year
in advance rather than 3 months in advance. I suspect that it could
have saved a number of folks a chunk of change.

Jay