alternative to iGlide for iPhone (6 plus)

Old May 15th 15, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

Default alternative to iGlide for iPhone (6 plus)

On Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 5:36:27 PM UTC-4, Bob Pasker wrote:
The bugs have been submitted to butterfly, and I have better things to do with my time than placate name callers. What you should be asking is for Butterfly to make the bug list public so that you have not only the ones I have submitted but also those submitted by others, and a roadmap of releases when they will be fixed. zendesk, github issues, GetSatisfaction are all platforms where developers can have a transparent dialog with their customers.

I too use iGlide in addition to my permanently mounted computer. I am not sure what Bob is talking about.
Bob, after trashing the iGlide product it would be very appropriate for you to tell us about the most annoying bugs you encountered. Give us 3 please.

Andrzej

Old May 15th 15, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 2:36:27 PM UTC-7, Bob Pasker wrote:
The bugs have been submitted to butterfly, and I have better things to do with my time than placate name callers. What you should be asking is for Butterfly to make the bug list public so that you have not only the ones I have submitted but also those submitted by others, and a roadmap of releases when they will be fixed. zendesk, github issues, GetSatisfaction are all platforms where developers can have a transparent dialog with their customers.

So I guess it isn't "riddled with bugs" after all.

Dan, it isn't that you can't do most of the things on XCSoar, given enough time and attention. There are things though, like adding a turn point to the task *in the air* that the extra time and attention is unwanted and sometimes even dangerous. If you are happy with the Dell and XCSoar you are way ahead since the cost is so low. But for me there are better offerings.
Old May 15th 15, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Johnny T

On Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 2:36:27 PM UTC-7, Bob Pasker wrote:
What you should be asking is for Butterfly to make the bug list public so that you have not only the ones I have submitted but also those submitted by others, and a roadmap of releases when they will be fixed. zendesk, github issues, GetSatisfaction are all platforms where developers can have a transparent dialog with their customers.

Umm... no tech company in their right mind that is developing a commercial product is going to make their bug list public. Bug tracking is included with github projects, but that is because github projects are open source and collaborated on using github.
Old May 15th 15, 06:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Bob, your credibility is gone with me on this topic. I believe you found no bugs at all. Moving on to relevant input...
Old May 15th 15, 06:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergeek

Maybe this is why he so mad
http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...t=olc&pi=58010
Old May 15th 15, 01:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Pasker

Thanks, I'll give it a try. in the meanwhile, check your httpd logs for broken links to this page: http://www.winpilot.com/New_Features.asp

On Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 11:57:38 AM UTC-4, WinPilot wrote:
It would be quite interesting to hear comments from people who actually use the software about ways to improve the user experience. Bob (or anyone else using or trying WinPilot), don't hesitate to submit your feedback directly from the app to developers by going into "Settings.Account-Type your message to developers here".

Also, at this point all the known crashing bugs have been fixed, but we are always happy to learn and fix new ones - use the same mechanism to report them.

The software should work quite well on iPhone 6 plus at this time.

Also, there is a new real time Doppler Radar overlay for the Usa users, we are looking forward to hear from people who tried this. If people like it, we can implement it for other regions as well.

Your Winpilot Team.

Old May 15th 15, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Dell streak 5 was very good. Keep in mind that it is also fairly old now. The latest Android smartphones (especially the Samsung Galaxy Note 4, OLED display) are surpassing the Streak and are fully supported with the newest versions of Android. The Note 3 is also very, very good along with many of the latest generation. I think the Streak 7 was good to but fairly large..
Old May 15th 15, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Since RAS is discussing glide computer options, Rob Dunning's Top Hat deserves mentioning http://www.tophatsoaring.org/. Top Hat uses XCSoar as its base but puts a different "face" to it which he states is "simple, powerful". I found his videos informative and salute him for his "free source" contribution.
Old May 15th 15, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Pasker

here's another bug I filed today.

Aktualisiert von: Marc Förderer, 15. Mai, 17:21:
Hi,

I have. It can be resolved with changing the filter (as a workarround).

We'll change that. Thanks for the help!
Marc

Aktualisiert von: Bob Pasker, 15. Mai, 17:20:
lite on iphone6

have you been able to reproduce?

Aktualisiert von: Marc Förderer, 15. Mai, 16:05:
(If you set the data filter to lets say 3000km, you will of course be able to work around that, yet this is not what we want / no general solution)

Marc

Aktualisiert von: Marc Förderer, 15. Mai, 15:57:
What version do you use? Which device?

I suspect iGlide lite on iPhone?

Sorry for the guessing.
Marc

Aktualisiert von: Bob Pasker, 15. Mai, 14:54:
also, i don't know if I can reproduce the problem without taking another 1500km trip!

On May 15, 2015, at 8:52 AM, Bob Pasker wrote:

Am I missing something?

Aktualisiert von: Bob Pasker, 15. Mai, 14:53:
Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone

Anhänge
image1.PNG

Aktualisiert von: Marc Förderer, 15. Mai, 14:46:
What happens if you go to Menu route clear route?

Will it "work" afterwards?

Marc

Aktualisiert von: Bob Pasker, 15. Mai, 14:40:
There should never be any reason why I can't clear the destination! But the answer is yes it had a GPS lock.

Sent from my iPhone

Aktualisiert von: Marc Förderer, 15. Mai, 14:31:
In the second city, did you have a current position in iGlide? Was there a GPS-Signal?

A reason for this behavior would be that iGlide did not get a current GPS position.

Marc

Aktualisiert von: Bob Pasker, 15. Mai, 14:04:
i don't understand the question. I flew from one city to another. when I turned on iGlide, i could not clear the previous destination

Aktualisiert von: Marc Förderer, 15. Mai, 13:51:
maybe I got you wrong, did you have a valid position after being 1500km away?

Marc

Aktualisiert von: Bob Pasker, 15. Mai, 13:46:
its not intended to be used in two different places?

Aktualisiert von: Marc Förderer, 15. Mai, 13:45:
Hi Bob,

thanks for the info. We'll fix that, but well, the app is not intended for this purpose.

Cheers
Marc

Aktualisiert von: Bob Pasker, 15. Mai, 13:23:
1. set a waypoint X as a destination in iGlide
2. do a bunch of soaring
3. with the destination still turned enabled, turn off the app
4. fly commercial aircraft to another city 1500km away
5. turn on the app
6. destination X remains selected, destination is 1500km away.
7. touch "NEAREST" to select a new destination. all nearby waypoints are invisible because the data filter is set to 500km, so all you see are airports 1,000km away

the only way I found to clear the fix was to delete the app and reinstall it, which of course deleted all of my data/preferences

Old May 15th 15, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Thanks John,

Shoot the engineers! Yes! As a design engineer I was always trying to
make something "better". Then as a Staff Systems Engineer and Test
Director, it was simply to develop requirements to fulfill the
customer's needs and ensure that they were achieved as quickly and
economically as possible. So I'm familiar with both ends of the spectrum.

As to different strokes, I find it curious that you are interested in
terrain resolution on your moving map when there's a wonderful device
called a "canopy" which provides the highest resolution possible. I
found the terrain display on the moving map to interfere with the
information I wanted to see. Again, this is probably just a personal
prejudice.

I agree with you on the main point, however. Have fun, fly safely, and
enjoy whatever solutions you choose.

On 5/14/2015 2:57 PM, John Carlyle wrote:
Dan,

Jerry Pournelle of Byte's Chaos Manor fame used to say "better is the enemy of good enough", and I guess you're echoing that sentiment. That's fine, I just recently gave up running Glide Navigator II on an iPAQ 3950, so I understand.

But just like sometimes it's necessary to shoot the engineers and start making product, other times it's necessary to drop the old stuff and adopt the latest and greatest. For me, it was time for iGlide. Why? Well, I find that I can get much more information with much less effort using iGlide than with other moving map programs. In addition, the terrain maps in iGlide are the best I've ever seen in any moving map program - that's important to me as aridge runner. Plus, iGlide gets wind and other air data from my Butterfly Vario and uses it to help me fly better. Finally, I find that the iPhone 6 is more easily readable in bright sunlight than the iPAQ, MIO, Avier, Oudie, etc.

You are correct, proficiency is important and it takes time to acquire. But having spent a significant amount of time with SYM and LK800 I found iGlide to be much easier to use. That may just be the way my mind works, and YMMV...

Anyway, have fun and enjoy soaring, whatever moving map program you use...

-John, Q3

On Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 12:24:26 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
On a more serious note, Bob's complaint and Sean's (and others')
rather aggressive responses simply support the notion of "Diff'rent
strokes for diff'rent folks)".

I make no bones that I'm a fan of XCSoar. Maybe iGlide allows task
generation if 3 less keystrokes, but who cares? I've got all day.
Heck, I can even build and declare a task today for a flight
tomorrow. I like XCSoar the best because it's the one I have the
most experience with. My glider came with WinPilot but the former
owner told me about XCSoar and I bought a Mio GPS and gave it a
try. For someone who'd never used a moving map before (military,
airlines, corporate, gliding) it was eye-opening!

The only shortcomings were power and sunlight readability. Then a
friend showed me his Dell Streak 5 and I found I could read it with
the sun shining over my shoulder! This is 5+ year old technology,
folks! Why haven't all the makers of portable devices tried
transflective technology? Anyway, for $100 brand new on eBay and
with free software, why would you want anything else? Seriously,
who needs realtime doppler radar overlays while soaring?

I submit that any one of us can get used to any of these products
and become quite proficient with it. Then, upon having difficulty
operating a new interface, it's easy to claim that the first is
better than the second.

Dan Marotta

--
Dan Marotta

iGlide Ben S Soaring 31 February 16th 20 05:14 AM
iPhone 6 Plus and iGlide jfitch Soaring 39 May 20th 15 01:07 AM
iGlide Mike Rinaldi Soaring 4 April 28th 15 12:48 AM
iGlide update for iPhone 6 (4.7 inch) and iPhone 6 plus (5.5 inch) Sean Fidler Soaring 29 March 9th 15 04:24 AM
iglide [email protected] Soaring 1 June 2nd 13 05:07 PM