SSA project - Automation of badge applications

Old August 22nd 10, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark

Default SSA project - Automation of badge applications

Has anyone with the SSA proposed the notion of developing some
software that would automate the entire badge review process??

No question that within this sport are numerous talented software
folks who could jointly develop some code for this.

We're at the point where basically everyone should have some sort of
GPS log from their flight with their badge application. Even the few
exceptions (5 hours under constant surveillance) could be handled this
way.

Pilot would first go online and submit the flight log and necessary
details of the flight.

OO would then follow and electronically sign the application

Software similar to SeeYou would verify that the flight performance
met the requirements and then send a summary to the SSA "badge person"
who could then take a quick peak and approve the badge(s). The
software could print certificates and even extract the necessary data
for the SSA magazine.

Potentially confirmation of a badge flight could occur within 24 hours
of submission.

Just a thought...
Old August 22nd 10, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Aug 21, 7:15*pm, Mark wrote:
[...]

Whaaaaaat... and take all the "fun" out of it?

-T8
Old August 22nd 10, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Aug 21, 6:15*pm, Mark wrote:
[...]

you can still do all badge legs except Diamond Goal with only a
barograph. However I agree that it would be great to have an
automated claim process for GPS logged flights. Then all the next
"badge person" has to deal with is the barograph claims.

I thought I had heard rumors of trying to integrate the OLC into
automated badge claims.
Old August 22nd 10, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]

On Aug 21, 6:29*pm, Tony wrote:
On Aug 21, 6:15*pm, Mark wrote:

Has anyone with the SSA proposed the notion of developing some
software that would automate the entire badge review process??

Potentially confirmation of a badge flight could occur within 24 hours
of submission.

Just a thought...

It is underway. It is a big process.
I am not one to subject our helpers to criticism and distraction in
the middle term.
Every person is their own best programmer....

The project will expand and develop over time from the initial
features.
It is also true that the Sporting Code still allows claims with
barographs,
and some things will require manual eval by humans.

Now - you all want to know what time frame for potential roll out.
The answer is --
like a homebuilt aircraft, we are 85% complete....

I expect that when it happens, you will be as happy with Awards
Processing as you are with the Magazine Archive and the Tracker
listing page,
and the upcoming Sailplane Directory....

and folks with technical code writing expertise that want to
contribute are welcomed to contact
me to be directed to sections to assist us.

Thanks for your support and patience.

Cindy Brickner
Region 12 Director
Old August 22nd 10, 11:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GliderGuy

On Aug 21, 7:15*pm, Mark wrote:
Has anyone with the SSA proposed the notion of developing some
software that would automate the entire badge review process??

snip

Sounds logical to me . . .after all, we "process" FAA certificate
applications online now . . .

Jim Kellett
SSA Region IV Director
Old August 22nd 10, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Aug 22, 6:40*am, GliderGuy wrote:
On Aug 21, 7:15*pm, Mark wrote:

Has anyone with the SSA proposed the notion of developing some
software that would automate the entire badge review process??

snip

Sounds logical to me . . .after all, we "process" FAA certificate
applications online now . . .

Jim Kellett
SSA Region IV Director

Yep, 1/2 as fast for applicant, instructor, and examiner, twice as
painful, but does at least support database for electronic pilot
surveilence and reduce FAA staff load. Anybody waiting to see if FAA
staff size is reduced?
UH
Old August 22nd 10, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Aug 22, 10:24*am, wrote:
Anybody waiting to see if FAA
staff size is reduced?
UH

Naw. I took my smart pills this morning, so I think I have a pretty
good read on that.

-T8