Philosophical question on owning & IFR rating

Old August 29th 04, 01:51 AM
Newps

Bob Miller wrote:

a Garmin 196 do not need regular updating. Update
your handheld 1x per year: $50.

Actually...$35.

Old August 29th 04, 01:57 AM
Newps

CriticalMass wrote:

"current databases are not an IFR requirement". Thankyou. I know. But,
in the off-chance you want to actually USE them, it is. Does the phrase
"legal" ring any bells?

Yes it does and you are wrong. Not all units require a current database.

The "cost I use as an excuse" is the cost to update what I have
installed in my airplane. The cost to keep my Garmin 155XL db current
is MUCH more than the costs to update the VFR only handhelds you quote,
and I'll USE that as a component of my "excuse" - thanks.

The 155 costs $120 for a single update and $285 per year for an update
every 28 days of the entire US.

Old August 29th 04, 09:58 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Bob Noel wrote:

ah, right. Being IFR at night is a big help - very little
worrying about blundering into clouds like you would if
you were only VFR.

I just returned from a day trip to Seattle at night, IFR. Most of the
time I was on top with a full moon. As ATC was vectoring me over SEA
(after departing BFI) they were working a VFR Archer that wanted to make
some kind of transition (I never figured out where they were) and getting
in to trouble with airspace and clouds. I was really glad I had decided
to file...

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old August 29th 04, 01:05 PM
Dan Luke

[snip]
Getting an IR isn't cheap, but unless you fly exclusively in some
place like
Arizona or Florida, it is pretty much a necessity for extracting real
transportation value (as opposed to just recreation) from an airplane.

Yep. To say, as some have, that the rating is not worth having for most
GA pilots ignores the most important criterion of flying: what do you
use the airplane for? If you use an airplane to travel, how useful is
it if you have to accept regular postponements for weather?

As soon as I got my PP certificate, it became obvious to me that flying
to Houston every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas was going to
*require* me to have the instrument rating. Otherwise, I could expect
to skip some trips or get stuck at Mom's house on occasion.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old August 29th 04, 03:17 PM
Bob Miller

CriticalMass wrote in message ...
Bob Miller wrote:
OK, I'll bite again:

Databases: Current databases are not an IFR requirement. If you like
that panel candy 430/530/CNX80, great; but don't use the cost as an
excuse. KNS80 and a Garmin 196 do not need regular updating. Update
your handheld 1x per year: $50.

"current databases are not an IFR requirement". Thankyou. I know.
But, in the off-chance you want to actually USE them, it is. Does the
phrase "legal" ring any bells?

It sounds like you're assuming you need an IFR GPS for approaches.
I'm suggesting using the GPS for backup xc navigation and using
VOR/ADF/RNAV/DME/ILS approaches. Your charts must be up to date and
you need to check for NOTAMS and TFRs before flying. Why does a VFR
GPS need to be updated, and as someone pointed out, keeping them
updated is not all that expensive. I looked up the update cost on the
196 - $35. Have an old panel mounted Trimble GPS useful for slaving
the A/P to. Annual update cost $0.

The "cost I use as an excuse" is the cost to update what I have
installed in my airplane. The cost to keep my Garmin 155XL db current
is MUCH more than the costs to update the VFR only handhelds you quote,
and I'll USE that as a component of my "excuse" - thanks.

Charts: $300 per year from Aircharts

I keep the "Aircharts Atlas" current, in my plane, to stay legal. IFR
currency would entail more cost.

OK, I looked up my Airchart cost from May. Entire US, both VFR
sectional style atlases, all approach plates and all updates. $400.
I assume you could get part of the country for $300. Knowing I am set
for IFR chart legality - priceless.

Plane: $150 every other year for pitot static check. I can check my
backup vacuum prior to T/O.

OK. Good for you. Hope all your stuff keeps working, "prior to T/O".

I'm not sure what the snipe here is about???

What you conveniently choose to overlook in your pie-in-the-sky
"analysis" of the costs to fly IFR is those pesky instrument failures -
when your altimeter fails the biennial test, and you need a
new/overhauled one. Not included in your "$150/yr" test, and it
happens, not infrequently.

I live near and fly around class B's a lot. Having an accurate
altimeter is important to me and not something I consider to be an
incremental cost of IFR capability, so no, I'm not including that.
(However, in 4 years, I've never had anything but the inspection fee)

Overall, $500 per year is a pittance compared to the overhead required
to maintain the plane.

I think I'll depart this discussion given that you've chosen to define
what constitutes a "pittance", which is a relative term.

All the flights kept, time and stress saved knowing that I can launch
in MVFR conditions, can easily pick up IFR on the way....I'll not get
into quantifying that here again. But from a cost standpoint for a
high performance single (Mooney) my costs are something like:

Hangar $1300
Maint $3000
Annual $1500
Insure $1300
Taxes $0
Total $7100

Variable costs are about $50 per hour.
The $400-500 that goes into IFR *is* a pittance to me, and can even be
argued that some of it is not really incremental anyway.

You've assumed what databases I have to keep current, you've assumed my
equipment will continue to pass all the IFR checks, you've assumed what
it costs me to "maintain the plane", and you've made your own assumption
about which charts I'll be using. Too many assumptions for me to take you seriously.

The claim was made that IFR is not practical for light GA SE flying.
Maybe you fly purely for pleasure. It seems you are projecting the
assumptions that are valid for you on others. The reason for my post
is to ensure that anyone who reads this thread sees another side to
the story, namely that it is practical, useful and desirable for many
(maybe not all) situations to maintain the IFR rating.
Old August 29th 04, 05:24 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Bob Miller wrote:

It sounds like you're assuming you need an IFR GPS for approaches.
I'm suggesting using the GPS for backup xc navigation and using
VOR/ADF/RNAV/DME/ILS approaches.

Let's say you have an aircraft with a LORAN, a NAV/COM with glide slope receiver, and
a marker beacon receiver. The radio stack is full, but you have a spare 3.5" hole in
the panel. Would you -

a. Replace the LORAN with an approach certified GPS.
b. Add a NARCO 121 NAV in the round hole.
c. Replace the intercom with an audio panel and MBR and replace the MBR with a NAV
unit or slim NAV/COM.
d. Something else.

As always, money's tight, so I would pick b, though c also is attractive. Your
choice? Panel can be seen at
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photoga...rson/panel.jpg

George Patterson
If you want to know God's opinion of money, just look at the people
he gives it to.