A few thoughts on "Aircraft Engines" vs. the regular kind.

Old February 15th 06, 12:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default A few thoughts on "Aircraft Engines" vs. the regular kind.

CyberSam wrote:
"Jerry Springer" wrote in message

Your ignorance never fails to amaze, maybe that is what you do to
people so you assume that is what all people do. (shakes head in

disbelief)

Jerry

I would rather hunt with Dick Cheany
than ride with Ted Kennedy

Who's Dick Cheany??

That is the new guy that you come up with when you type slower than you
think, but then you knew who I meant didn't you.
Old February 15th 06, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Air cooled engines are now no longer made because of, well,
obsolescence, except toys for yupsters like Harley Davidson.

Air cooled engines no longer made? Look around you. Take a peek at your
lawnmower for example. Then go find a brand new piston Cezzna and squint under
the cowl.

Vaughn

Or any other brand-new certified piston airplane or
helicopter. Is Continental even still building that liquid-cooled
Voyager engine, and where is it used? Check any turbine engine, whether
it's a turboprop, jet or turboshaft: all aircooled.

Dan

Old February 16th 06, 12:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Where did I say anything about small gas boat engines?

John Stricker

"Bret Ludwig" wrote in message
ups.com...

Where are the long stroke, slow turning gas small boat engines?

In museums. Inboards ALL use autoderivative engines and ahve for
almost 50 years

Old February 16th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

("Jerry Springer" wrote)
I would rather hunt with Dick Cheany
than ride with Ted Kennedy

Then there's:
The Dick Cheney / Bobby Knight Memorial Hunting Expedition.
Memorial for who?
You'll see...

(Ducking and running ...."Serpentine Shelly. Serpentine!" g)

Montblack
You've got to love a press corps getting Buck Shot and Bird Shot wrong
....for 36 hours!! The clue is in the name, folks. Bambi's dad (a buck) vs.
Tweety Bird (a bird).

Sheldon: There's no reason to shoot at me, I'm a dentist.
The In-Laws (1979)

Old February 16th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

the irony of it all....

Texas Parks & Wildlife magazine - November 2005

On the cover -
Why group hunts are more efficient - and more fun.

And on page 22/23 -

A double page centerfold of a fat guy in an orange vest
raising his shotgun - and a pheasant climbing for dear life -
straight lined up with the camera!
Old February 17th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 06:59:37 -0600, "JStricker"
wrote:

Where did I say anything about small gas boat engines?

I take it you were talking about *real* boats, right John?:-))

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Sitting here, running off the generator as the ice storm has dumped
the power for a wide area here near Midland MI.

John Stricker

oups.com...

Old February 17th 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

I was actually thinking what I wrote......MARINE.........so yep, you're
right, I was thinking SHIPS, not boats.

John Stricker

wrote:

Where did I say anything about small gas boat engines?

I take it you were talking about *real* boats, right John?:-))

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Sitting here, running off the generator as the ice storm has dumped
the power for a wide area here near Midland MI.

John Stricker

roups.com...

Old February 17th 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

I was actually thinking what I wrote......MARINE.........so yep, you're
right, I was thinking SHIPS, not boats

Convert THIS one for your airplane:

http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ccsshb/12cyl/

Dan

Old February 17th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

2. If the Lycoming and Continental paradigm of large displacement
light slow turning engine was so great for aircraft, they would be
great for a lot of other things as well.

Why should they be "great for a lot of other things?"

Not sure how you can make that jump...

Old February 17th 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

2. If the Lycoming and Continental paradigm of large displacement
light slow turning engine was so great for aircraft, they would be
great for a lot of other things as well.

Airboats.
Hovercraft.
Tanks (some WWII tanks used a radial aircooled engine, which some
homebuilders converted for their airplanes).
APUs (Lyc O-290-G).
Helicopters.
Cars (Franklin, VW, Corvair, Tucker, and others, though the RPM was
higher, as it is in the same basic aircraft engines that are used in
helicopters).

Dan