Sim Computer

Old December 31st 04, 03:39 AM
Lifelists

Default Sim Computer

Can you find a computer that will give good
performance for around 500.00?
Any suggestions on where to find the best deal?

Happy New Year
Thanks in advance,
Jon

Old December 31st 04, 05:34 AM
Carl Frisk

Define good performance.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

Old December 31st 04, 09:13 AM
Quilljar

500 what? Krona? Euros? Pounds? Pesetas? Yen?

Quilljar Matrox
see http://client.webshots.com/album/194691959rhDQFi

Old January 1st 05, 11:26 PM
Steph

"Lifelists" wrote in message
ink.net...
Can you find a computer that will give good
performance for around 500.00?
Any suggestions on where to find the best deal?

Happy New Year
Thanks in advance,
Jon

Whatever your budget, building your own is by far the best bet both in terms
of cost and performance.
And it's really very easy

Old January 2nd 05, 02:20 PM
Don Parker

To run FS-2004 decently - no.........

To run one of the older versions - maybe........

Find someone that has a two or three year old, former top of line box, that
they want to get rid of for a current top of the line box, and you might get
away for $500 USD, and if you're real lucky it might even include the stuff
that plugs into the box, like a decent monitor, etc..... My two year old
Dell 3GHz XPS, 1G RAM, ATI 9800 128MB, still runs FS-2004 like a champ, but
how it'll fare with FS-2006 is another matter altogether...........

Cheers'n Beers.. [_])
Don

Old January 2nd 05, 07:52 PM
FatKat

What programs are you looking for? I have a 3 year old XP P4 that runs
Falcon 4, CFS2 & FS2002 very well, but probably couldn't do well on
LOMAC, CFS3 or FS-ACoF.

Old January 4th 05, 10:29 PM
Lifelists

First I would like to thank all for the responses.
I appreciated reading them and seeing through links
a very wild set-up. (nice So cool)

I use the family Dell that is a few years old. It has a
PIII 800, NVIDA GeForce 64MB card, Wingman,
with 512 RAM.

I can't say what good performance is as I haven't
seen many machines running flight simulators. Not in
my home But I am guessing that a machine in the
500.00 US range will not spin the props of an
enthusiast or many others.

I spoke to a fellow about upgrading "my" old Dell which
is a Precision 410, NT4WS with a VeiwSonic P815.
He thought that it wouldn't be worth it. So I am looking
into where to buy a machine in the 500.00 range. A new
machine would have some kind of warrentee. 2nd thought,
Yes I could spend a bit more to fly around the European
country side.

I like flight simulators, CFS2 and IL2 FB. I was wondering
where one goes to find a machine? Did you get yours
on the net? ...Like tiger direct, Cybertronpc, any place
like that, Or did you use Dell, HP, Gateway CompUSA...?
So that is what I was asking about. Any suggestion for
vendors for upgrades?

Thanks again,
Jon

you
ink.net...

Old January 5th 05, 04:47 PM
FatKat

Have you tried CFS2 on your machine? It ran well on my P4, obviously
more powerful than your PIII, but it wasn't that more advanced than
CFS1. I'd be surprised if it ran that much differently than the older
program. As for IL2 FB, I ran the demo for the original IL2 about 3
years ago and found performance abysmal on my machine. It became
acceptable yet marginally so when I added a GeForce III card (and not a
Ti-200), so you may need a significant upgrade to play FB.

Old January 6th 05, 12:35 AM
Lifelists

Thanks FatKat,
All four programs IL-2, IL-2FB,CFS, and CFS2 I use are ok,
not great, as that I have turned down the video requirements
I found that CFS3 my 5th sim is terrible and have put it away until
something is changed.

What I would like to do is find something that I could use
and not tie up the family machine where they work best.
Upgrading my older Dell (precision 410) doesn't seem
like the best option because after upgrading components
and operating system, which I consider an ify contingent,
I wouldn't have any kind of warrantee.

So I what was wondering and hoping to hear about was where do
"sim pilots", in this forum, had gone to find a machine that would
offer them hours of swooping, soaring and stalling fun? Perhaps
a few of the folks had heard about a deal that they could share?

Maybe I should have selected a better subject title? I am
not a very wittty author. But I'd really like to get a little better
Rig to run these programs on than what I have now. So where
can a fellow find a "good" machine around for about 500.00
or 62,724.04 Pesetas give or take a few?

Thanks,
Jon

oups.com...