Flying to Teterboro

Old August 23rd 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RNR

Default Flying to Teterboro

I'd appreciate some guidance from the New York area folks on flying in
to Teterboro. I have to fly there for the first time next week. My
typical flying is in a much more relaxed envirronment than this and I
don't want to create any problems for myself or ATC.

My biggest concern is who to talk to. The NY TAC states that VFR
flights should contact approach even if they are operating below the
floor of the Class B on initial contact. That's clear enough, but is
that what actually occurs in practice? What if I am below the floor
on initial contact and plan to remain below the floor for the duration
of the flight? Does approach still want to hear from me?

Does ATC care whether I arrive by way of the Hudson or from the west
under the 1800' floor?

The NY TAC requests that VFR flights departing the primary airports
contact clearance delivery prior to taxiing. My interpretation of
that is that they are talking about Newark, JFK and LaGuardia. It's
not common practice for a VFR flight to contact CD at Teterboro is it?

I appreciate any advice that you can offer. Thanks.
RNR
Old August 23rd 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
pgbnh[_1_]

Not from NY Area, but have flown to TEB from New England a bunch of times.
first, unless you REALLy need to go to TEB, consider an alternative. MMU or
CDW. TEB is NOT GA-friendly (unless your personal aircraft burns kerosene).
Fuel is VERy expensive, and the attitude of the FBO folks is not positive
towards real general aviation.

That said, if you do go there, plan to talk with approach and departure
regardless of how you approach. With approach, be professional, sound like
you know what you are doing, and they will treat you well. Even grant class
B clearance. Very busy airspace - you want a code and you want to be talking
with approach. On leaving, calling CD is always a good idea. Get a code,
request advisories, and let 'em know you want a class B clearance. The floor
is low in that area, and unless you like flying over very populated areas at
1800 feet, get a clearance to get some altitude.

Old August 23rd 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 16:22:29 +0000, pgbnh wrote:

MMU
or CDW.

Mac Dan at CDW rents cars. There's also KLDJ, which is just a quick taxi
from a quick train into Manhattan.

Fuel is going to be expensive at any of these airports, though TEB is in a
class by itself. There are numerous [small] airports in the neighborhood
that have cheaper fuel.

[...]

That said, if you do go there, plan to talk with approach and departure
regardless of how you approach. With approach, be professional, sound
like you know what you are doing, and they will treat you well. Even
grant class B clearance. Very busy airspace - you want a code and you
want to be talking with approach.

TEB tower wants everyone under positive control, so you will be coded.
I've never been there on 1200.

The ideal is to have flight following (assuming VFR, which seems to be the
assumption) from farther out, which makes everything a smooth and easy
transition.

- Andrew

Old August 23rd 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RNR

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 16:22:29 GMT, "pgbnh" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info. I had heard that they weren't very
piston-friendly. I'm trying to avoid this, but if I have to go to TEB
I'll certainly follow your advice. Thanks again.
RNR
Old August 26th 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
vincent p. norris

I'm sorry to read these postings about TEB. I flew a Cherokee into
(and back out of) TEB quite a few times, about twenty years ago, and
was treated very well.

vince norris
Old August 26th 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

"vincent p. norris" wrote:

I'm sorry to read these postings about TEB. I flew a Cherokee into
(and back out of) TEB quite a few times, about twenty years ago, and
was treated very well.

In my experience of flying a single engine Bonanza into TEB several times
over the summer and fall of 2004, I have to say that any *prepared* pilot
(read: very adept at ATC comms, very familiar with the TEB airport diagram,
very familiar with TEB's departure procedures, and very familiar with all
airspaces surrounding TEB) is treated very well, or at least openly, by NY
ATC, TEB ATC, and the TEB FBOs.

Granted that fuel and parking prices are off the charts there compared to
the average FBO, but in my opinion this alone does not necessarily make TEB
unfriendly to small, GA aircraft. Heck, there is (last I knew) a flight
school with several small C15x's and 172s located right near Millionare.
That should account for something.

--
Peter
Old August 26th 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Heck, there is (last I knew) a flight
school with several small C15x's and 172s located right near Millionare.
That should account for something.

I got my instrument rating at "General Aviation", which became
Millionaire later on. GA was well treated at that time, (mumble) years ago.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old August 26th 06, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Jose wrote:

I got my instrument rating at "General Aviation",

Someone demonstrated a rather dry imagination with that FBO name.

--
Peter
Old August 26th 06, 04:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

I got my instrument rating at "General Aviation",
Someone demonstrated a rather dry imagination with that FBO name.

Or some marketing smarts. There is a company called "the phone
company", and during the AT&T breakup they somehow got the salespeople
to ask if they wanted "the phone company" to handle their long distance
calls.

Results were predictable.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old August 26th 06, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Peter R. wrote:
Jose wrote:

I got my instrument rating at "General Aviation",

Someone demonstrated a rather dry imagination with that FBO name.

I dunno, I think that is very imaginative marketing. If you have have
several FBOs on field and someone asks for the generic "general
aviation" terminal... :-)

Matt