Flight Unlimited 1

Old April 4th 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.simulators
Glenn Jacobs

Default Flight Unlimited 1

Is there anyone still flying Flight Unlimited 1. There was a patch that
allowed a person to run it on a Windows 95 or 98 machine. If so does
anyone know where I can find it?

Thanks in advance,

JakeInHartsel
Old April 5th 07, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.simulators
RobertVA[_2_]

Glenn Jacobs wrote:
Is there anyone still flying Flight Unlimited 1. There was a patch that
allowed a person to run it on a Windows 95 or 98 machine. If so does
anyone know where I can find it?

Thanks in advance,

JakeInHartsel

Looking Glass came out with a separate Windows 95 version, but I don't
recall a patch to make the DOS version work in a Windows 9x virtual machine.

To my recollection the DOS version required an OpenGL video driver. I
would think if you could configure a DOS Mode shortcut to load the
OpenGL driver and a DOS mode CD driver you could run the DOS version in
DOS mode. I don't recall the conventional, extended and expanded memory
requirements for the DOS version though. With a properly crafted DOS
Mode shortcut ANY Windows 95 capable computer should have enough memory
of all three type.

Of course with a DOS simulation that old there's the possibility that
the physics would be thrown out of kilter by the system clock speed
being so much faster that what the developers were able to test it with.
I had one fighter sim that produced an error every time I started it
unless I deactivated the switch that enabled that computer to run at 66
Mhz instead of 33 MHz (yes that WAS a while ago).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_Unlimited

Investigate the downloads on this page to see if they apply:
http://www.3dgamers.com/games/flightunl1/downloads/
Old April 6th 07, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.simulators
Stephen Farris

RobertVA wrote in
:

Glenn Jacobs wrote:
Is there anyone still flying Flight Unlimited 1. There was a patch
that allowed a person to run it on a Windows 95 or 98 machine. If so
does anyone know where I can find it?

Investigate the downloads on this page to see if they apply:
http://www.3dgamers.com/games/flightunl1/downloads/

Also try the Patches Scrolls (a very useful website!)

http://www.patches-scrolls.de/

- Steve
Old April 7th 07, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.simulators
Mark D. Stotzer

There is a an FU1 forum at AVSIM you might look through:
http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?..._id=2657&page=
You could configure the Windows 95 or 98 system to boot to a DOS prompt
(even use a boot floppy?) to run FU1 cleanly from DOS. That's what I do to
run various other old sims like ATP, etc. from my Win 98 SE box kept for
just this purpose.
See my ATP site:
http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?..._id=2657&page=
Specifically these tips:
GENERAL COMPUTER SYSTEM AND MEMORY OPTIMIZATION TIPS
http://simpilot.net/~stotzer/wn95dos2.html
Hope this helps.
-mds