Owning in retirement

Old April 23rd 08, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross

Default Owning in retirement

Newps wrote:
States that have no income tax are usually fiercely anti income tax. FL
will never change as the retirees are their golden goose, my folks live
there in the winter. Most retirees are not residents of Florida
anyways, they are snowbirds who keep their legal residency somewhere else.

Robert M. Gary wrote:
On Apr 23, 9:27 am, Newps wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:
*Your not paying state income tax*???? Christ, I just paid the state
of California over $30,000 in income tax.
How can you not know this? There are a handful of states that do not
have state income tax. WA, WY, TX, SD, FL, AL and NV. NH and TN only
tax dividend income. California has some nice scenery but people that
actually live there have lost their ever lovin' minds.

I wonder if that will stay the same. WA is becoming so liberal I can't
imagine them not wanting more gov't money. I remember about 10 years
ago FL talking about an income tax (so they could tax those rich
*******s moving down from NY).

-Robert

TX's real estate taxes are pretty high, but then we do not have the
income tax and we do not have personal property taxes on boats, cars,
airplanes. Food is exempted (unless processed) from taxes. Our state /
city sales tax is 8.25%. There are little percentages included for city
road improvements, and several other little special projects that I
cannot remember right now. Housing is reasonable here. My wife wanted to
look at possibly retiring in Florida and I found housing high. But, I am
not fond of Florida, sorry. Nice place to visit and I will be at
Disneyworld the first part of May...

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old April 23rd 08, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Fry

"N" == Newps writes:

N Robert M. Gary wrote:
*Your not paying state income tax*???? Christ, I just paid the
state of California over $30,000 in income tax.

N How can you not know this? There are a handful of states that
N do not have state income tax. WA, WY, TX, SD, FL, AL and NV.
N NH and TN only tax dividend income. California has some nice
N scenery but people that actually live there have lost their
N ever lovin' minds.

The fox and the grapes (sour grapes)

A hungry fox passed below a fine bunch of grapes hanging high from a
vine. After trying in vain to jump and reach them he gave up, saying
to himself as he walked off, "the grapes looked ripe, but I see now
they are quite sour."
--
Democracy used to be a good thing, but now it has gotten into the
wrong hands.
Old April 23rd 08, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Vaughn Simon

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..
Most retirees are not residents of Florida anyways, they are snowbirds who
keep their legal residency somewhere else.

That is not what I see. I think as many retirees as possible try to pass
themselves off as Florida citizens to avoid taxes. I live in Florida and I see
retirees that only live here a few months out the the year arrive from up north
in cars with Florida license tags. I know for a fact that some of them live
most of the year in large northern cities, but their auto insurance company
thinks they live in Florida (where auto insurance is a lot less). Most have
probably also figured out a way to receive their retirement income in Florida to
avoid their own state income tax. Also, Florida residents get a much better
rate on property taxes than non-residents do.

I don't blame these folks. You can be sure that when I am a retired person
(it won't be long now) my actual residence is likely to be a very nebulous
thing, a thing only for the wife and I to know for sure.

Vaughn

Old April 23rd 08, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt W. Barrow

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..
States that have no income tax are usually fiercely anti income tax. FL
will never change as the retirees are their golden goose, my folks live
there in the winter. Most retirees are not residents of Florida anyways,
they are snowbirds who keep their legal residency somewhere else.

And most (all?) of those rich *******s are not living on regular income, but
on pensions and savings, mostly sheltered from tax consequences.

Old April 23rd 08, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Apr 23, 10:24*am, Newps wrote:
States that have no income tax are usually fiercely anti income tax. *FL
will never change as the retirees are their golden goose, my folks live
there in the winter. *Most retirees are not residents of Florida
anyways, they are snowbirds who keep their legal residency somewhere else.

I used to see those guys when I would visit Tucson AZ. The city
thought they were being screwed out of their income tax so they come
up with a "hotel" tax on their trailer parks. The next year no one
showed up (I'm not joking, acres and acres of emptiness). Lesson
learned? Probably not.

-Robert

Old April 23rd 08, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Apr 23, 3:12*pm, "Matt W. Barrow"
wrote:
"Newps" wrote in message

. ..

States that have no income tax are usually fiercely anti income tax. *FL
will never change as the retirees are their golden goose, my folks live
there in the winter. *Most retirees are not residents of Florida anyways,
they are snowbirds who keep their legal residency somewhere else.

And most (all?) of those rich *******s are not living on regular income, but
on pensions and savings, mostly sheltered from tax consequences.

And dividends as well. People have argued for years that the double
tax on dividends today is not enough and we should stick it to those
old rich dudes by increasing their dividend tax rate.

-Robert

Old April 24th 08, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Alan[_6_]

In article "Robert M. Gary" writes:
On Apr 22, 7:24=A0am, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
In article ,

I always made the max contributions to my 401(K) plan, retired early,
sold my 3-BR 2.5 bath townhome in CA, bought a 3 BR, 3 BA hangar homw,
with pool in FL. The 401(K), plus pension, plus Social Security, less
the state income tax and Social Security tax, enables me to do it.

*Your not paying state income tax*???? Christ, I just paid the state
of California over $30,000 in income tax. Man, I need to get some of
that FL myself. I'm paying $600/month in property taxes for my house
and I can't even write it off (AMT). I just bought a used boat and had
to pay almost $2000 in use tax. I think I'm getting the short end.

You are making about $346,200 and think you are getting the short end?

How rough it is.

Alan
Old April 24th 08, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article ,
"Matt W. Barrow" wrote:

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..
States that have no income tax are usually fiercely anti income tax. FL
will never change as the retirees are their golden goose, my folks live
there in the winter. Most retirees are not residents of Florida anyways,
they are snowbirds who keep their legal residency somewhere else.

And most (all?) of those rich *******s are not living on regular income, but
on pensions and savings, mostly sheltered from tax consequences.

So? What's wrong with that? We have paid our dues and supported all of
the welfare drones and corporations living of subsidies.

Old April 24th 08, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Fry

"RG" == Robert M Gary writes:

RG I used to see those guys when I would visit Tucson AZ. The
RG city thought they were being screwed out of their income tax
RG so they come up with a "hotel" tax on their trailer parks. The
RG next year no one showed up (I'm not joking, acres and acres of
RG emptiness). Lesson learned? Probably not.

Yeah, you didn't learn it. What city needs "acres and acres" of
trailer park (trash)? Or old farts that run up big local medical
bills.
--
You have not converted a man because you have silenced him.
~ John Morley