Huge TFR Around Washington?

Old September 1st 07, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Granby

Default Huge TFR Around Washington?

So, I was flying from my home base at York, PA today and saw a huge
TFR around Washinton on my 496. What the heck is that, I'm thinking?
It goes all the way out the HGR and nearly up to THV. Harrisburg
Approach didn't know anything about it, and a Cirrus who was on the
freq at the time reported seeing it on their system, too. I now see
from FlightStar that it's just a speed restriction to 230 KIAS, out as
far as 60nm from DCA. Looks rather scarey in the map, though, and it
would be nice if they actually told Approach facilities about it...

Old September 1st 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
J. Severyn

"Mike Granby" wrote in message
ups.com...

So, I was flying from my home base at York, PA today and saw a huge
TFR around Washinton on my 496. What the heck is that, I'm thinking?
It goes all the way out the HGR and nearly up to THV. Harrisburg
Approach didn't know anything about it, and a Cirrus who was on the
freq at the time reported seeing it on their system, too. I now see
from FlightStar that it's just a speed restriction to 230 KIAS, out as
far as 60nm from DCA. Looks rather scarey in the map, though, and it
would be nice if they actually told Approach facilities about it...

NOTAM 7/0204 Your briefing should have included the info. (along with
7/0206)
http://tfr.faa.gov/tfr_map_ims/html/.../tile_4_3.html
Best regards,
John Severyn

Old September 1st 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Granby

NOTAM 7/0204 Your briefing should have included the info.

Well, yes, we all read all of those, just like the approach
controllers do. The point remains that having an enormous red hatched
area covering just an area is a rather scarey sight, and a rather
puzzling one when no-one at ATC seems to know anything about it...

Old September 1st 07, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John T

"Mike Granby" wrote in message
oups.com
NOTAM 7/0204 Your briefing should have included the info.

Well, yes, we all read all of those, just like the approach
controllers do. The point remains that having an enormous red hatched
area covering just an area is a rather scarey sight, and a rather
puzzling one when no-one at ATC seems to know anything about it...

If you and the controllers read the NOTAM, then where did the puzzle come
from?

FWIW, AOPA says they are working with GPS manufacturers to come up with a
better way to display the speed restriction ring of the DC ADIZ.

--
John T
http://sage1solutions.com/blogs/TknoFlyer

Old September 1st 07, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ash Wyllie

Mike Granby opined

So, I was flying from my home base at York, PA today and saw a huge
TFR around Washinton on my 496. What the heck is that, I'm thinking?
It goes all the way out the HGR and nearly up to THV. Harrisburg
Approach didn't know anything about it, and a Cirrus who was on the
freq at the time reported seeing it on their system, too. I now see
from FlightStar that it's just a speed restriction to 230 KIAS, out as
far as 60nm from DCA. Looks rather scarey in the map, though, and it
would be nice if they actually told Approach facilities about it...

Wish it affected me...

-ash
Cthulhu in 2007!
Why wait for nature?

Old September 1st 07, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Isaksen

"Mike Granby" wrote in message ...
NOTAM 7/0204 Your briefing should have included the info.

Well, yes, we all read all of those, just like the approach
controllers do. The point remains that having an enormous red hatched
area covering just an area is a rather scarey sight, and a rather
puzzling one when no-one at ATC seems to know anything about it...

No flame intended, but you really should join AOPA if not already a member.
They have been bitching about this issue for five plus weeks. They email a
weekly ePilot newsletter that highlights a lot of issues like this.

Old September 2nd 07, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Granby

I am a member of AOPA, but I've not been visiting their website
recently as I've been getting fed up of reading all the GA-versus-the-
airlines stuff. Don't get me wrong, I'm on their side, but it's been
dominating their output recently...

Old September 2nd 07, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Granby

If you and the controllers read the NOTAM, then
where did the puzzle come from?

We don't. That's the point.