Force feedback versus real piloting?

Old October 7th 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

Default Force feedback versus real piloting?

"150flivver" wrote:

I've seen
many different sims--some of them would give you the leans and motion
sickness just like an aircraft.

I've gotten motion sickness at an IMAX.

The full motion USCG sim I tried out was extremely cool, but it did not feel
like flying.

OTOH, I don't have any real HU-25 time, so my testimony is somewhat suspect.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old October 7th 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Bertie the Bunyip writes:

I use state of the art sims the doorknobs of shich cost more than the
bankruptcy that broke you and they don't even come close to the real thing.

You're entitled to your opinion, but not everyone shares it.
Old October 7th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

The Old Bloke writes:

We must distinguish between MSFS and commercial simulators

Yes, but he said "even the best sims" without further qualification, and the
best sims are not PC-based (unless one is only considering PC sims, of
course).
Old October 7th 07, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Bertie the Bunyip writes:

Even commercial ones aren't flying and
don't even come close to duplicating flight. They're good for practicing
procedures, emergencies etc, but none of them fly like an airplane.

List a few of the differences. Be specific.
Old October 7th 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Bertie the Bunyip writes:

KI know all that and I' e flown those sims. I disagree, I don't think they
do a credible job. They do enough to get by, but that's about it,.

What part of the simulation leads you to this opinion?
Old October 7th 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Granby

My only data point on this is that when I was doing my instrument
training, I flew safety pilot with my CFII's son. He'd done a huge
amount of simulator flying to learn the basics of insturment work, and
I can tell you he was the smoothest insturment flier I've ever seen.
His corrections were almost unnoticable; the plane just stayed where
it was meant to be. I comment on this to his dad later, and we both
wondered if his sim training had giving him this skill...

Old October 7th 07, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

Perhaps those who have experienced both actual and sim would be in a
better position to understand the differences. Experience counts more
than words.

On Oct 7, 12:40 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Bertie the Bunyip writes:
Even commercial ones aren't flying and
don't even come close to duplicating flight. They're good for practicing
procedures, emergencies etc, but none of them fly like an airplane.

List a few of the differences. Be specific.

Old October 7th 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jay Honeck writes:

- No motion. This is less important than you might believe, as your
brain substitutes for the lack of motion. That big screen has made
several people motion sick, without them ever moving an inch.

I've had trouble with motion sickness in slew mode on the sim. Then again,
I've had the same trouble with some video games, such as Doom. Apparently it
is quite common. If the movements on the screen exceed those of real life,
motion sickness is quite a risk. It obviously could still make someone sick
if the sim is showing motion that would make someone sick in real life.

In the future I want to add a side window screen that will go a long
ways toward addressing the lack of peripheral vision. The other two
limitations are things that can't be addressed for less than a million
bucks...

A million dollars is quite an exaggeration, but it would be very expensive,
perhaps more than it's worth for this type of use.

Also, a motion base is important if you fly by feel in a small aircraft or a
high-performance aerobatic or military aircraft, but if you're flying large
airliners, you don't need it much for normal flight. Strong sensations on an
airliner are often an indication of a bad pilot.
Old October 7th 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip writes:

KI know all that and I' e flown those sims. I disagree, I don't think
they do a credible job. They do enough to get by, but that's about
it,.

What part of the simulation leads you to this opinion?

All of it, fukkwit.

Not that you will ever know.

Bertie
Old October 7th 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip writes:

I use state of the art sims the doorknobs of shich cost more than the
bankruptcy that broke you and they don't even come close to the real
thing.

You're entitled to your opinion, but not everyone shares it.

You don't get an opinion, fjukktard.

You don't fly.

Bertie

A real piloting story Bob Fry Piloting 4 March 5th 07 06:11 PM
Force Feedback Yoke? Richard Kaplan Simulators 1 December 31st 04 01:09 PM
force feedback R. Robertson Simulators 0 January 4th 04 05:39 PM
Software sidewinder force feedback 2 for XP? Jonathan Simulators 4 January 4th 04 05:35 PM
FS9 - force feedback & 2 controllers JT Simulators 0 October 22nd 03 02:24 PM