Transponder Goes Up To 8

Old December 19th 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Granby

Default Transponder Goes Up To 8

I find myself holding a 747 transponder control head that I bought on
eBay as a toy for the kids. But, with echos of Spinal Tap's guitarist
in my head, I notice that the selector knobs allow the digits 0 thru 8
to be selected. What gives?
Old December 19th 07, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
pgbnh

Actually 0-7. Three bit octal. All transponder codes are four digits - each
digit is 0-7. Technology comes VERY slowly to aviation.

Old December 19th 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig601XLBuilder

pgbnh wrote:
Actually 0-7. Three bit octal. All transponder codes are four digits - each
digit is 0-7. Technology comes VERY slowly to aviation.

"Mike Granby" wrote in message
I find myself holding a 747 transponder control head that I bought on
eBay as a toy for the kids. But, with echos of Spinal Tap's guitarist
in my head, I notice that the selector knobs allow the digits 0 thru 8
to be selected. What gives?

I think that is Mike's point. He is holding one that goes 0-8.
Old December 19th 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Mike Granby wrote:
I find myself holding a 747 transponder control head that I bought on
eBay as a toy for the kids. But, with echos of Spinal Tap's guitarist
in my head, I notice that the selector knobs allow the digits 0 thru 8
to be selected. What gives?

Just curious - but does it look like either of these:
http://www.angelfire.com/il2/aphs/txp2.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/il2/aphs/txp.jpg

Or is it a LED display?
Old December 20th 07, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip

On Dec 19, 8:51 pm, Mike Granby wrote:
I find myself holding a 747 transponder control head that I bought on
eBay as a toy for the kids. But, with echos of Spinal Tap's guitarist
in my head, I notice that the selector knobs allow the digits 0 thru 8
to be selected. What gives?

Yeah, they frequently do on large airplanes for some reason. Don´t
know why, we never use ém

Bertie
Old December 20th 07, 08:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 11:51:33 -0800 (PST), Mike Granby
wrote in
:

I find myself holding a 747 transponder control head that I bought on
eBay as a toy for the kids. But, with echos of Spinal Tap's guitarist
in my head, I notice that the selector knobs allow the digits 0 thru 8
to be selected. What gives?

Decade electrical switches are easier/cheaper to procure than octal
switches?

That's nothing, here (at 5:50 minutes into the segment)
http://media.pbs.org/ramgen/newshour...219_skies28.rm
you can listen to Mr. Michael Goldfarb, former FAA Chief of Staff
under Bush Senior, referring to Runway 41 Left! I believe he may have
meant runway 4L, as any airman knows there can be no runway numbered
higher than 36.

News Hour with Jim Lehrer:
Easing Airline Delays
The Bush administration unveiled new plans Wednesday to reduce air
travel congestion for the holiday season and beyond. Airline
regulation experts examine the plan.
Old December 20th 07, 12:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

Larry Dighera wrote in
:

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 11:51:33 -0800 (PST), Mike Granby
wrote in
:

I find myself holding a 747 transponder control head that I bought on
eBay as a toy for the kids. But, with echos of Spinal Tap's guitarist
in my head, I notice that the selector knobs allow the digits 0 thru 8
to be selected. What gives?

Decade electrical switches are easier/cheaper to procure than octal
switches?

Wouldn't a Decimal switch go 0-9?
Old December 20th 07, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On 20 Dec 2007 12:41:47 GMT, Judah wrote in
:

Larry Dighera wrote in
:

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 11:51:33 -0800 (PST), Mike Granby
wrote in
:

I find myself holding a 747 transponder control head that I bought on
eBay as a toy for the kids. But, with echos of Spinal Tap's guitarist
in my head, I notice that the selector knobs allow the digits 0 thru 8
to be selected. What gives?

Decade electrical switches are easier/cheaper to procure than octal
switches?

Wouldn't a Decimal switch go 0-9?

Umm... Good point. Oh well....

Perhaps the new New York Airspace Czar has the answer. :-)
Old December 20th 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Granby

On Dec 19, 6:06 pm, Jim Logajan wrote:

Just curious - but does it look like either of these:

http://www.angelfire.com/il2/aphs/txp2.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/il2/aphs/txp.jpg

Similar to botrh, but identical to neither.

Here's the eBay link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=230199151135
Old December 20th 07, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Granby

On Dec 20, 3:31 am, Larry Dighera wrote:

Decade electrical switches are easier/
cheaper to procure than octal switches?

That would explain 0-9, but these are 0-8.

which transponder [email protected] Soaring 9 December 5th 07 10:25 PM
transponder LJ Blodgett Piloting 2 March 17th 07 06:28 PM
WTB; Transponder Jerome & Gerri Bush Aviation Marketplace 5 September 2nd 04 09:14 PM
WTB Transponder Roy Bourgeois Soaring 0 July 2nd 04 06:44 PM
Which Transponder? Ian Forbes Soaring 16 September 25th 03 03:32 AM