ADS-B Out rebate from the FAA

Old June 7th 16, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

Default ADS-B Out rebate from the FAA

While is does not apply to gliders, well maybe motor gliders?, the FAA has started offering a rebate to folks single engine aircraft when they install appropriate equipment.

Better then a sharp stick in the eye!

Ron Gleason
Old June 7th 16, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

20,000 $500 rebates available. 120,000 aircraft needing ADS-B. Draw your own conclusions.
Old June 8th 16, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

Let's not get this started again.
ADS-B Out requirement for 2020 does not apply (currently) to gliders.
A "motor glider" is a glider, self launch capable.
Airworthiness Certificate should say "glider" and a pilot certificate with "glider" on it is required to be PIC.

BillT
Old June 8th 16, 06:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 8:07:18 PM UTC-7, Bill T wrote:
Let's not get this started again.
ADS-B Out requirement for 2020 does not apply (currently) to gliders.
A "motor glider" is a glider, self launch capable.
Airworthiness Certificate should say "glider" and a pilot certificate with "glider" on it is required to be PIC.

BillT

Hey this is r.a.s., so lets not go off on irrelevant tangents :-) Nobody was asking, or talking, about the definition of a glider or airplane.

I think Ron is correct, as far as everything I have seen that the FAA has published so far on this rebate program it looks to me like motor gliders would qualify....

https://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets...m?newsId=20434

Many motor gliders flying int he USA are U.S.-registered, fixed-wing, single-engine piston *aircraft*.

A motor gliders is an aircraft. Many motor gliders are piston powered aircraft. Wether a rotary engine Schleicher motor gliders is, or is not considered piston powered who knows for sure. My argument would be it's not turbine powered so it should be counted (sorry Jet sustainer owners). And the rebate program documentation does points out gliders are exempt from the 2020 carriage requirements, but it does nothing to state that gliders are exempt from the incentive offer.

From an incentive plan it might seem to make little sense for the FAA to offer this program to motor gliders owners, well except the slim chance that maybe somebody very smart may realize that getting a few more early-adopter ADS-B installations in high-value/advanced motor gliders might actually help lead the way there for ADS-B and/or TABS installation in more gliders in future. Want to vote on if this is a screw up/confusion/badly written plan or a clever plan by somebody at the FAA?

Anybody with a motor gliders wanting this rebate I'd start by getting confirmation from your FSDO in writing that the program applies to your motor gliders and get cranking on this if the FSDO says it does. Note the needs for post-installation proof flights, etc.
Old June 8th 16, 06:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

And formal rules

http://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb...les_612016.pdf
Old June 8th 16, 12:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 1:29:17 AM UTC-4, Darryl Ramm wrote:
And formal rules
http://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb...les_612016.pdf

Thanks Darryl. My ArcusM clearly qualifies, too bad the FreeFlight SBAS/GNSS WAAS/GPS 1201 is about $3k or I'd add it to the Trig22 (because, hey, this aircraft doesn't already have enough GPS units)...

See ya, Dave
Old June 8th 16, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 4:39:08 AM UTC-7, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 1:29:17 AM UTC-4, Darryl Ramm wrote:
And formal rules
http://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb...les_612016.pdf

Thanks Darryl. My ArcusM clearly qualifies, too bad the FreeFlight SBAS/GNSS WAAS/GPS 1201 is about $3k or I'd add it to the Trig22 (because, hey, this aircraft doesn't already have enough GPS units)...

See ya, Dave

Cmon Dave I would have thought spending $3k or so to get a $500 rebate from the government just to frame the check and mount it on the wall as a trophy would be worth it.

Serious sounds of silence sound on useful stuff like pricing on the NexNav Mini GPS for a TT-22 install. Who knows what went on with the Aspen Avionics acquisition of Accord but it does not look like that acquisition has helped anybody in the GA market.

SPOT Gen 3 $50 rebate - last day [email protected] Soaring 0 November 18th 13 03:19 PM
$50 SPOT rebate Eric Greenwell Soaring 4 November 22nd 08 03:35 AM
AOPA rebate gone? Robert M. Gary Piloting 15 September 14th 06 03:23 AM
Rebate for FS2004? Doug Simulators 2 February 10th 04 10:43 PM
Any Upgrade Rebate of FS2004? Paul Dowgewicz Simulators 2 August 13th 03 12:30 AM