Glider in an unexpected place...

Old September 14th 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Default Glider in an unexpected place...

Ok, it's 9:30 Saturday morning, I'm driving through the center of Detroit,
and something catches my eye. I look over and there it is, a glider making a
left turn at a few hundred feet AGL. What the *&^%$$^&?????. I mean, I'm in
the middle of the city!!! Well I look again, and notice that it has the fat
nose of a motor glider - and then I remember that I'm not far from Detroit
City Airport. Ok, mystery solved, there is (or was?) a club that flys motor
gliders out of City, but it sure had me going for a minute.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old September 14th 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Could it have been one of those Schweizer TG7 "cadet killers"? I sort
of recall an article in Snoring about shuttling some of those things to
a club in that area.

Old September 15th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

wrote in message
ps.com...
Could it have been one of those Schweizer TG7 "cadet killers"? I sort
of recall an article in Snoring about shuttling some of those things to
a club in that area.

dunno. I can't find their (tuskegee airmen glider club) web page anymore...

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060812/BIZ/608120349
has a picture of the wing root and canopy area if you are real good at
aircraft identification.

Old September 15th 06, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe wrote:
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060812/BIZ/608120349
has a picture of the wing root and canopy area if you are real good at
aircraft identification.

Yep, an SGS-2-37. I drive right under the landing pattern for the
strip they used to use for "landing" practice. They never landed
there, but instead made missed approaches as part of the 2-33 training
program.

-Tom