Why not a hinged panel?

Old March 7th 05, 04:19 PM
Aaron Coolidge

: : Whatever you do make CERTAIN the none of the wires are getting tangled
: : with you yoke arm etc. I've seen where travel got restricted on the
: : yoke due to adding some wiring and the tech not taking that into
: : account.

: I'll second this. Especially with the later-model Cherokees that have the
: center radio stack. The bottom of the stack will clear the dual control chain by
: about 1/2" is all. If your radio stack is full and the back of the radios drop 1/2"

Said Cherokee airplanes have a hanger that is supposed to support the back
of the radios, but it is rarely connected in any meaningful way. I found it
floating loose on my airplane. When I re did the radios I made a little
bracket to support the back end of both sides of the radio stack. The
mechanic said "what are you making that for?" and I showed him. He'd never
seen the hanger bracket used, either.
--
Aaron C.
Old March 7th 05, 08:09 PM
Mike Granby

Get a Saratoga. You can then attack it from the other side via the
front baggage compartment. It still sucks, but marginally less
so........

Old March 7th 05, 11:15 PM

Jay Honeck Mar 5, 8:17 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.owning
From: "Jay Honeck" - Find messages by this
author
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 04:17:12 GMT
Subject: Why not a hinged panel?
original | Report Abuse

The only visible evidence that things were different were the piano
hinges, just visible beside the radios.

Dang, Dan, that's EXACTLY what I want.

I wonder if the new glass panels in Pipers (with the Avidyne system)

and
Cessnas (with the Garmin stuff) have some easier way to get at the

back-side
of things? Since they had to re-design the whole panel for the

displays, I
sure hope they took this into account.

I bet not. It would cost too much and require the hoses and wiring to
be suitably restrained to avoid fouling the control column, yet
moveable to allow the panels to open. Works well on stick airplanes.
Which, incidentally, are REAL airplanes, especially if they have
the little wheel in back (I'm ducking...).