Question of Location...

Old March 8th 05, 01:28 AM
Robbie S.

Default Question of Location...

I am a student pilot with about 60 hours starting out on x-country work
right now. I recently bought a C182 Skylane and decided to keep it at an
airport that is 18 NM from my training airport for the simple reason that
the monthly cost of the hanger rental was $155 cheaper. I asked my CFI to
let me know if I could use that aiport as the satellite airport so I could
fly solo from the satellite airport to my training airport, pick up my CFI,
do my dual/solo training and then bring the 182 back to its home. My CFI
informed me that the regs require that I leave and come back to the primary
training airport, so either I move my plane to his aiport or use one of the
flight schools airplanes to do my trianing.

He also presented an option, that he would drive in his car to my C182's
airport, then I fly dual from there to the primary training aiport, drop him
there and then do my x-country or other things, then pick him up again and
take him to my plane's airport, from where he would drive back to the
training airport...ad nauseum....

This whole scenario sounds absurd and illogical to me. I do have the option
of switching flight schools to where my plane is located. I know a lot of
people in this forum have a very in-depth knowledge of the regs.... please
advise what would be the best course of action under this scenario.

Thank you.

....Robbie.

Old March 8th 05, 02:19 AM
Maule Driver

I'll let others answer the regs question.

Why not self-manage this stage of your training by using your local
school for the CC work but otherwise continuing with your regular CFI
thru the checkride. A little cooperation will be required but your
reasons are clear cut. Both FBOs should be happy to have another active
pilot/owner in the community. You will gain the fresh perspective of a
different CFI and flight school at the expense of continuity and
familiarity. Fact is, once licensed, you'll be managing all aspects of
your continued training.

The school(s) or CFI may protest but it's not like you have any
guarantee either will be with you tomorrow. in fact, it sounds like you
have been quite lucky in finding a school and CFI that have served you
well and, wonders of wonders, stayed around long enough to see you thru
the entire PP training process. Many are not so lucky.

Old March 8th 05, 03:10 AM
Blanche

I bought a cherokee while a student (and after solo) which was hangared
someplace other than where I was taking lessons (10 min flight). The
CFI drove over to my hangar for the first few lessons until he and
I were both comfortable with the cherokee. Once
the CFI had solo'd me in the cherokee, there was no problem flying over
to the other airport to pick him up.

It may be a school policy. Either way, ask him to show you the
regs or policy in the FARs.

Old March 8th 05, 03:23 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Blanche wrote:

I bought a cherokee while a student (and after solo) which was hangared
someplace other than where I was taking lessons (10 min flight). The
CFI drove over to my hangar for the first few lessons until he and
I were both comfortable with the cherokee. Once
the CFI had solo'd me in the cherokee, there was no problem flying over
to the other airport to pick him up.

It may be a school policy. Either way, ask him to show you the
regs or policy in the FARs.

It sounds as if the CFI is pulling your leg. Get an "old pro" for a CFI
and forget the flight school.
Old March 8th 05, 03:47 AM

Robbie S. wrote:
[...]

I'll not pretend to know the regs, but I do know the consequences of
changing CFIs having gone through 4 to get to the check ride.

Each new CFI is most likely going to run you through stuff you've already
done to ensure him/her self you are ready for new stuff.

If you are where you should be, this will be a giant waste of time and
money doing review of stuff you already know.

If you are ready for your solo cross countries you are almost at the end
of training and if I were in your situation I would do whatever it takes
to keep the current CFI and take the check ride ASAP.

For the curious:

CFI 1: My work hours changed to hours incompatible with the CFI's work
hours.

CFI 2: Developed health and personal problems and stopped instructing.

CFI 3: Got a commercial pilot job.

On the minus side, on the day of the check ride, 113.5 hours total,
19.3 cross country, 92.3 dual.

On the plus side, the examiner cut it short (my first thought was, crap
what did I screw up?), said to head back to the airport and then said
congratulations.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.
Old March 8th 05, 04:00 AM
Colin W Kingsbury

"Robbie S." wrote in message

He also presented an option, that he would drive in his car to my C182's
airport, then I fly dual from there to the primary training aiport, drop

him
there and then do my x-country or other things, then pick him up again and
take him to my plane's airport, from where he would drive back to the
training airport...ad nauseum....

I think you need to check to make sure both of your legs are still firmly
attached.

Your CFI can sign you off for unsupervised solo in the local area- up to
25NM radius of your home field, to the locations and under Wx conditions as
specified in the logbook endorsement. So you drive out to your home field,
fly to his base 18NM away, fly together, and then you go back home. You keep
your plane where you prefer and your CFI doesn't have to drive anywhere just
for you.

Guys, am I missing something here?

Old March 8th 05, 04:14 AM

Colin W Kingsbury wrote:

"Robbie S." wrote in message

[...]

The local FBO SOP.

Where I rent, they require 60 days currency in an aircraft or go up with a
CFI for some touch and goes.

Time in a 182 counts for a 172 but not for a Piper and Piper time doesn't
count for any Cessna time for example.

FBOs often have more restrictive rules than the FAA.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.
Old March 8th 05, 09:33 AM
kontiki

Colin W Kingsbury wrote:
Your CFI can sign you off for unsupervised solo in the local area- up to
25NM radius of your home field, to the locations and under Wx conditions as
specified in the logbook endorsement. So you drive out to your home field,
fly to his base 18NM away, fly together, and then you go back home. You keep
your plane where you prefer and your CFI doesn't have to drive anywhere just
for you.

Guys, am I missing something here?

No, you are correct. But maybe the CFI feels uncomfortable about signing him
off to do that for whatever reason.

Old March 8th 05, 12:17 PM
Robbie S.

No, you are correct. But maybe the CFI feels uncomfortable about signing
him
off to do that for whatever reason.

I specifically asked him that question. He does not have a problem if I go
from his home field to my plane's home field, but not the other way round.
He made some reference to part 61 and I have been scouring it ever since and
have found nothing specific. My CFI had also alluded to some FBO policy
that I am going to pursue starting today to find out what, if anything,
would cause this restriction. At the very least, I am getting to read every
word of part 61.... may help in my check ride !

....Robbie.

Old March 8th 05, 06:25 PM
Colin W Kingsbury

"Robbie S." wrote in message

No, you are correct. But maybe the CFI feels uncomfortable about signing
him
off to do that for whatever reason.

If he's willing (i) to sign you off for unsupervised and (ii) to sign you
off to your home field, then logically there should be no reason to not
allow you to base yourself there. It's certainly not in the regs.

I specifically asked him that question. He does not have a problem if I

go
from his home field to my plane's home field, but not the other way round.
He made some reference to part 61 and I have been scouring it ever since

and
have found nothing specific. My CFI had also alluded to some FBO policy

"Err, umh, err, ahhh... it's just policy." Right. I wouldn't be shocked if
it's in their insurance but I'd make them prove it. I'd also take a ride
with the FBO at your home base and see how they feel. If you're where you're
at, they might be able to sign you off pretty quickly and that would solve
your problem. Besides, it's probably worth your building a relationship with
them.

-cwk.