Garmin GPS portables GPS5 vs GPS III Pilot

Old November 23rd 04, 04:18 PM
C J Campbell

Default Garmin GPS portables GPS5 vs GPS III Pilot

To re-phrase your question:

I am too cheap to pay for the software in the GPS III Pilot, so I was
wondering if there was some way to steal it?

Old November 25th 04, 05:14 AM
Newps

Huber wrote:

To: Christopher J. Campbell, self anointed "World Famous Flight Instructor,"
asshole extraordinaire, Port Orchard, WA

Why don't you just say you don't know, or better yet, say nothing since you
don't know the answer to my question?

I noticed you chastised Tom Sixkiller on 20 July as follows "Please watch what
you are snipping -- you make it look like I said something that I did not." I
would expect the same courtesy from you as I most certainly did not say or
even imply I wanted to steal anything.

OTH, maybe you're just having a bad day. I'll consider your public apology.

In fact, the GPS V may be perfectly adequate for my needs, but I want some
info. Would some of the more enlightened in the group post their experience
with either GPS I'm asking about?

Thanks

JDO

My answer was so important I had to post it twice.

Old November 25th 04, 08:02 AM
C J Campbell

"Huber" wrote in message
To: Christopher J. Campbell, self anointed "World Famous Flight Instructor,"
asshole extraordinaire, Port Orchard, WA

Why don't you just say you don't know, or better yet, say nothing since you
don't know the answer to my question?

I noticed you chastised Tom Sixkiller on 20 July as follows "Please watch
what
you are snipping -- you make it look like I said something that I did not."
would expect the same courtesy from you as I most certainly did not say or
even imply I wanted to steal anything.

OTH, maybe you're just having a bad day. I'll consider your public apology.

Very well then. Where were you planning on getting the GPS III software to
download into your GPS V? Were you thinking of buying both units? It did not
sound like it because you pointed out that the GPS V was cheaper.

So, if you were not buying the GPS III software and you obviously were not
going to be ordering it from Garmin, I suppose you were just going to
'borrow' the software somehow from somebody else's GPS. If you don't think
that is stealing, fine -- but don't come whining to me when Garmin's lawyers
come knocking on your door.

But, okay, suppose you have managed to rationalize this ethically (or not --
who cares?) then let's take a look at the problems you will have to
overcome. First of all, you will have to find some way of pulling the GPS
III software out of a GPS III. Perhaps there is some hack that you could
write that could do this. You might want to start your search on some of
those hacker groups. The FBI sometimes monitors those, but it is all right
because you are not stealing, right? Then, you have to somehow download it
into the GPS V. Then you will have to debug any problems, such as possibly
different clock speeds, different size ROM chips, etc., plus deal with any
residual code from the original GPS V and maybe some broken GPS III code
that is looking for a circuit that does not exist.

It seems to me that for a lot less time and effort you could earn the price
difference honestly and have a decent GPS III. But hey, what do you care
about that? You managed to put one over those greedy scoundrels at Garmin
and you know have a real piloting GPS that will get you anywhere you want to
go and, often as not, get you back. Naturally, if you ever have an accident
and are killed, some member of your family might just go ahead and sue
Garmin for manufacturing a 'faulty' GPS (even though you were the one who
made it faulty) and drive the company out of business, so no one will be
able to have a GPS, all because of your idiotic selfishiness.

And you think I'm a jerk.