OT Message rule????

Old February 14th 07, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tri-Pacer

Default OT Message rule????

Has anyone successfully written a message rule to eliminate no only the MX
individual, but ANY thread mentioning either him, flight simulator, or any
other troll type nonsense?

I'd really appreciate it if you'd share it.

Even though I've blocked this Mxsmanic chap, the newsgroup is still
cluttered with his leavings.

Thanks.

Paul
N1431A
KPLU

Old February 14th 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

Here's what I did: It kills his postings, and any responses to them. You
could set up the same thing for any subject line you want.

For some reason, some of his posts still show up. When I refresh (F5)
they're gone.

Originaly posted 2/1/07:

I found the following completely eliminates mxsmanic from usenet, along with
any responses to him. Using this, I don't need to killfile anyone else. Only

Tools - Message Rules - News - - New:

Apply this rule after the message arrives
Where the From line contains 'mxsmanic'
Mark the message as ignored

View - Current View - Customize Current View:

View - Current View - Hide Read or Ignored Messages
View - Current View - Customize Current View

Un-check 'Where the message has been read'

Change the name to 'Hide Ignored Messages'

View - Current View - Make Sure 'Hide Ignored Messages' is checked.

. ..

Old February 15th 07, 06:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans

"Richard Riley" wrote

In what newsreader? Outlook?

Yep.

I followed this setup this afternoon, and have not seen one word or post
with "his" name in it.

I even went through and took nearly everyone out of my "extensive" kill
file, which contained everyone that was responding to "him."

I may be killing too many posts, but to me, it was a solution like this, or
toss the whole group. I'm not going to fight this fight, any longer.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 15th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 2/15/2007 1:17:54 AM, "Morgans" wrote:

I may be killing too many posts, but to me, it was a solution like this, or
toss the whole group. I'm not going to fight this fight, any longer.

Welcome to the other side. You will be surprised at how fast this all fades
to a distant memory and how quickly you forget about the large amount of
killfiled posts you accumulate. It really is just like old times.

--
Peter
Old February 15th 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 2/15/2007 12:39:53 AM, Richard Riley wrote:

In what newsreader? Outlook?

Not meaning to be nit-picking, but Outlook does not have newsreader
capabilities. Do you mean Outlook Express?? The filter setup being described
here is for Outlook Express.

--
Peter
Old February 15th 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

"Richard Riley" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 19:46:28 GMT, "Steve Foley"
wrote:

[...]

Outlook Express. That's what the OP uses.

You may need to reset your files to redownload headers. Otherwise the older
threads won't be marked for ignore.

Old February 16th 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 11:26:01 -0800, Tri-Pacer wrote
(in article ):

Has anyone successfully written a message rule to eliminate no only the MX
individual, but ANY thread mentioning either him, flight simulator, or any
other troll type nonsense?

I'd really appreciate it if you'd share it.

Even though I've blocked this Mxsmanic chap, the newsgroup is still
cluttered with his leavings.

Of course, such a rule would kill this thread. :-) And every other thread,
too, since he posts in them all.

If it will make you feel better, read "The Seven Levels of Aviation." You
know what level HE is, heh-heh.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old February 16th 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans

"C J Campbell" wrote

Of course, such a rule would kill this thread. :-) And every other thread,
too, since he posts in them all.

If it will make you feel better, read "The Seven Levels of Aviation." You
know what level HE is, heh-heh.

I don't fully understand Steve's method, but I followed the instructions for
using O.E. and see this thread, but have not seen him or any responses to
him. I think it just blocks branches of a thread.

Here it is again:
Originally posted 2/1/07:

I found the following completely eliminates mxsmanic from usenet, along with
any responses to him. Using this, I don't need to killfile anyone else. Only

Tools - Message Rules - News - - New:

Apply this rule after the message arrives
Where the From line contains 'mxsmanic'
Mark the message as ignored

View - Current View - Customize Current View:

View - Current View - Hide Read or Ignored Messages
View - Current View - Customize Current View

Un-check 'Where the message has been read'

Change the name to 'Hide Ignored Messages'

View - Current View - Make Sure 'Hide Ignored Messages' is checked.

"Trryyyyy it, you'll liiiiiike it!"
--
Jim in NC

Old February 16th 07, 04:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans

"Morgans" wrote

I don't fully understand Steve's method, but I followed the instructions
for using O.E. and see this thread, but have not seen him or any responses
to him. I think it just blocks branches of a thread.

"Trryyyyy it, you'll liiiiiike it!"

Crap. I spoke too soon. The first one got through, as a response to
dim-Mx.
--
Jim in NC

Christmas Greetings and Message tony roberts Piloting 1 December 25th 05 05:02 AM
Send a message to Bax Michael 182 Piloting 2 January 31st 04 03:13 AM
Test Message Harvey Simulators 0 October 14th 03 05:24 PM
New guy with message for All UFO_Investigator - Jim D. Military Aviation 0 August 7th 03 06:53 AM
Ignore this message. JoeBleaux Owning 2 August 3rd 03 06:46 PM