Lufthansa Crosswind Landing at Hamburg

Old March 5th 08, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Default Lufthansa Crosswind Landing at Hamburg

Bertie,

Ever been to Germany? Nobody jaywalks. It's eerie

BS. Plain and simple. You got a Germany simulator from MX?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old March 6th 08, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip

On 5 Mar, 17:36, Thomas Borchert wrote:
Bertie,

Ever been to Germany? Nobody jaywalks. It's eerie

BS. Plain and simple. You got a Germany simulator from MX?

Nope, but I'll be there in a few hours and take a video of it if you
like.

Bertie
Old March 6th 08, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip

On 5 Mar, 12:28, Shirl wrote:
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Well, he could have circled easily onto 33 from the first ILS with a
ceiling like that. Might be what he did the second time. But if the wind
was over limits on the surface, there's no way he would have continued for
23 in the first place. Ever been to Germany? Nobody jaywalks. It's eerie

"jaywalks" ... now there's a term I haven't heard in a number of years! *
We were just talking about some older terminology that comes out of our
mouths that has our adult kids looking at us as if we're aliens.
;-)

Really? They'll slam you up for it in Germany. and u-turns ( Don't ask
me how i know this, It'd take me a week to tel it)

Bertie

Old March 6th 08, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip

On 5 Mar, 17:36, Thomas Borchert wrote:
Orval,

Where in hell was ATC's head when they directed the plane to a runway
with that severe a crosswind in the first place?

The options are 23 and 33 (this is my home drome). With the wind between
280 and 290, you figure out the difference in crosswind component. It's
not that much. But 23 has a CAT IIIb (I think) ILS, while 33 is
localizer only.

Also, why did the pilot accept that runway?

See above.

Is it the German acceptance of authority?

No.

Probably just the lack of a sense of humor.

Bertie
Old March 6th 08, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip

On 5 Mar, 17:36, Thomas Borchert wrote:
Phil,

I'm not sure what the runway
heading was,

23.

If there hadn't been video...

It wouldn't have happened?

Bertie
Old March 6th 08, 12:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andy Hawkins

Hi,

In article ,
Bertie the wrote:
Really? They'll slam you up for it in Germany. and u-turns ( Don't ask
me how i know this, It'd take me a week to tel it)

How do you know that?

Andy
Old March 7th 08, 10:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Andy Hawkins wrote in
:

Hi,

In article
,
Bertie the wrote:
Really? They'll slam you up for it in Germany. and u-turns ( Don't
ask me how i know this, It'd take me a week to tel it)

How do you know that?

Chapter one. "Bertie arrives in Germany for the first time ever.. ...."

And sidles up onto a stool in a two tap, ten stool bar in the train
station. It's a beautiful sunny early summer's day and it's the first
oportunity he has to try a real German beer from a real German tap in
Germany. I can't remember what type beer it was but it was just
beeeeuuutiful. I drank it at leisure and asked the barkeep for another
( auf Deutch) "NEIN" came the reply. Well, I'm a bit taken back I have
to tel you. It's about three in the afternoon, I wasn't drunk and there
were several other patrons sitting leisurely drinking their beer. A bit
confused., I asked again in my best school german for another. THe
crewcutted bartender, as close a double for Gert Frobe ( goldfinger) as
you're going to find shouts back again, "NEIN". he's obviously getting a
bit perturbed, so i try a third time. He's getting purple now and still
refusing to give me "Ein anderes beir" . Well this went on for a few
more minutes and eventually I discover I'm asking for another
~different~ beer and they only have one brand on draft.... You think he
could have figured it out....

Stay tuned for the next chapter, "Bertie is nearly put on a chain gang
in Wurms"..

Bertie
Old March 7th 08, 01:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andy Hawkins

Hi,

In article ,
Bertie the wrote:
Stay tuned for the next chapter, "Bertie is nearly put on a chain gang
in Wurms"..

Waiting with baited breath

Andy
Old March 7th 08, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

A very minor point, Andy. I hope you mean your breath is bated -- I
don't know what the consequences might be if it's intended to be bait
for Bertie.

if it's bait for On Mar 7, 8:33*am, Andy Hawkins
wrote:
Hi,

Old March 7th 08, 01:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Andy Hawkins wrote in
:

Hi,

In article ,
Bertie the wrote:
Stay tuned for the next chapter, "Bertie is nearly put on a chain gang
in Wurms"..

Waiting with baited breath

Andy

I'm taking some literary licence here with the timeline, of course.

Bertie

Yesterdays storm in Hamburg Ron Aviation Photos 11 March 10th 08 01:37 AM
Crosswind landing control.. Dan Piloting 53 December 31st 06 04:48 AM
Crosswind Landing Videos Danny Deger Piloting 0 December 30th 06 04:58 PM
Crosswind landing Ron Webb Home Built 23 June 10th 06 03:43 AM
Tailwheel Crosswind Landing Piloting 32 December 6th 04 02:42 AM