Bought new safety feature, SPOT sat

Old February 29th 08, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default Bought new safety feature, SPOT sat

I just bought a SPOT system and I'm thinking this could be pretty cool
(especially for trips to central America). It sits on your glareshield
and transmits your position to a sat every 10 minutes. That info is
stored and anyone you choose can go online and see your position on
Google Earth. If you go down they know where your last ping was.
You can also preprogram 3 messages. 1- I'm here and happy. 2- I need
some help 3-911. If you press 3 it goes to the command center and try
try to locate authorities to help find you (in central American it
usually mean finding nearby Americans who will assist). In any case,
this may be the end of the "so and so went down and no one knows where
they are".

-Robert
Old February 29th 08, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cubdriver

A pirep would be much appreciated! Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 10:32:48 -0800 (PST), "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

I just bought a SPOT system and I'm thinking this could be pretty cool
(especially for trips to central America). It sits on your glareshield
and transmits your position to a sat every 10 minutes. That info is
stored and anyone you choose can go online and see your position on
Google Earth. If you go down they know where your last ping was.
You can also preprogram 3 messages. 1- I'm here and happy. 2- I need
some help 3-911. If you press 3 it goes to the command center and try
try to locate authorities to help find you (in central American it
usually mean finding nearby Americans who will assist). In any case,
this may be the end of the "so and so went down and no one knows where
they are".

-Robert

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
new from HarperCollins www.FlyingTigersBook.com
Old March 1st 08, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cubdriver

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 19:18:46 -0500, John Smith wrote:

3-911. If you press 3 it goes to the command center and try
try to locate authorities to help find you (in central American it
usually mean finding nearby Americans who will assist).

The question is, will the DEA contractors respond?

The DEA *and* the missionaries!

I have always been astonished at the willingness of perfect strangers
to aid folks in distress, at great personal risk and (often) expense.

Old March 1st 08, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Mar 1, 9:19*am, Cubdriver usenet AT danford DOT net wrote:
On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 19:18:46 -0500, John Smith wrote:
3-911. If you press 3 it goes to the command center and try
try to locate authorities to help find you (in central American it
usually mean finding nearby Americans who will assist).

The question is, will the DEA contractors respond?

The DEA *and* the missionaries!

I have always been astonished at the willingness of perfect strangers

When a Sacramento couple disappeared near Mulege Mexico we had
something like 20 planes up for 2 weeks searching. Most of those
planes came down to help in the search.

-Robert