vfr corridor

Old December 14th 03, 05:48 PM
Andrew Gideon

Guy Elden Jr. wrote:

As we passed Dutchess Co, I called up and got flight following, then
advised the controller that I'd be flying south on the east side of the
city to the Verrazano Bridge, then requesting to transition the Class B
direct to Caldwell.

How did you get to the East River, and then down it, w/o a class B
clearance? I *think* (it's tough to make out) that there's a segment south
of some (is that Roosevelt?) island that has a ceiling at 1100'. But
elsewhere it appears to drop down to the surface.

It sounds like a nice trip. Someone once told me about having done
something similar, but turning west near midtown and flying over Manhatten.
At night. That's *definitely* on my list.

- Andrew

Old December 14th 03, 08:28 PM
Tom Fleischman

You should ask for a Class B clearance sometime. Call them from up
around the Tappan Zee bridge and if your radio skills are better than
average you will probably not have much of a problem getting one. Most
likely you will be assigned 1500' and sent down the river with handoffs
to the various facilites (TEB, EWR, LGA).

Last time I did it I asked for the East River northbound and was handed
off to La Guardia Tower after turning north over the tip of Manhattan.
They brought me up the East River to Roosevelt Island and then cleared
me to fly over Central Park back to the Husdon and then back up to HPN.

I prefer getting a clearance to using the corridor for several reasons.
I'm already talking to them and they know who and where I am in case of
trouble, I'll be at a somewhat higher altitude, and they will keep me
separated not only from the jet traffic, but also from all of the
helicopter traffic down low in the corridor.

Hope this helps...

Old December 14th 03, 11:17 PM
Andrew Gideon

Tom Fleischman wrote:

You should ask for a Class B clearance sometime.

I have, although I've not "done Manhatten" this way.

Call them from up
around the Tappan Zee bridge and if your radio skills are better than
average you will probably not have much of a problem getting one.

I'm IFR rated, and I've learned in this neighborhood. I've shown others, a
little shy of VFRing in, how easy it is to get into the class B. You'd
*hope* I've decent radio skills by now.

But I still managed to stutter my way through a request of "Newark Approach"
for a transition recently laugh. Still, they let me in. I don't think
they're as picky as everyone says. I think it's really just a matter of
whether they can fit us in.

And they do try. I had to duck under people riding the ILS into TEB, but
they fit me in.

I did have to wait for a couple of minutes, but circling was no problem.
More, I unexpectedly got to see my house. That was very funny. I was
grumbling about having to wait and then..."Hey, there's Brookdale [park]" I
said to my passenger. "And there's my house!".

[...]
Last time I did it I asked for the East River northbound and was handed
off to La Guardia Tower after turning north over the tip of Manhattan.
They brought me up the East River to Roosevelt Island and then cleared
me to fly over Central Park back to the Husdon and then back up to HPN.

*That's* the clearance I want (except replacing CDW for HPN {8^).

I prefer getting a clearance to using the corridor for several reasons.
I'm already talking to them and they know who and where I am in case of
trouble, I'll be at a somewhat higher altitude, and they will keep me
separated not only from the jet traffic, but also from all of the
helicopter traffic down low in the corridor.

Choices choices grin.

- Andrew

Old December 15th 03, 01:51 AM
Judah

Class B Ceiling there is 7000'. IIRC, he said he was over it at 8500' on
the East side.

But I don't think they are all that stingy with Class B clearances over
there...

I love that tour, tho... It's a great ride - I take people on it all the
time. But I generally stick to the Hudson River 1100' and below version...

Andrew Gideon wrote in
online.com:

Old December 15th 03, 03:30 AM
Peter R.

David Reinhart wrote:

I think the weather was IFR for 2003, but I may be off by a year.

Yes, this past year the weather was actually low IFR for most of the day
of the Fly-In. I flew down to Frederick from Syracuse the night before
so I didn't have to fly the ILS down to minimums on the day of the
event.

--
Peter

Old December 16th 03, 01:56 AM
Ray Bengen

Oh one can't beat it.

Goto the Verrazano Bridge, go up the East River at 1500, across Central
Park, down the Hudson, round the Statue a couple of times, back up the
Hudson still at 1500, across Central Park and down the East River so
everyone the right side gets their incredible views, and check out. All
with LGA. EWR knows about us.

Unreal no matter how many times I do it and it's even more magical at night.
So cool to see everyone skating around the Central Park ice rink.

Try doing that over London, oh, sorry, you have a single ? No way. Even
with a Twin, very doubtful. Did Paris though in a single at night. Right
alongside the Eiffel Tower.

But nowhere beats Manhattan on a cold, clear night in the winter.

"Guy Elden Jr." wrote in message
Just took a flight today with two friends in the school's 172S from CDW -
44N (Sky Acres) for lunch, then on the way back, checked off another item

on
my to-do list of cool things to try as a pilot. . .

Climbed out of 44N at a good 800 - 1000 fpm ... gotta love that winter

air.
Leveled off at 8,500 feet, heading south. About 1,500 feet I could already
make out the buildings of Manhattan, from over 50 nm away... talk about

your
picture perfect day! (Save for the clouds that were obscuring the rapidly
descending sun).

As we passed Dutchess Co, I called up and got flight following, then

advised
the controller that I'd be flying south on the east side of the city to

the
Verrazano Bridge, then requesting to transition the Class B direct to
Caldwell. He seemed to go along with that plan, and we got a few traffic
calls of Airbusses climbing out of La Guardia as we neared the city. It

was
really, really a spectacular view from up there. Simultaneously, I was
watching the lineup of traffic heading into LGA runway 4, while JFK was
running arrivals into 31 (couldn't tell if it was L or R tho). My two
friends were glued to the windows on the right side of the plane as we
cruised south. You could easily see all of the bridges along the Hudson

and
East rivers at once, from the Tappan Zee down to the Verrazano, and if you
looked east, you could just about make out the end of Long Island. All of
this, while trying to take in the whole of Manhattan as we slid past with
relative ease, all of the heavies safely below us and turning out well
before crossing our altitude.

The icing on the cake tho came when we got to the Verrazano. I requested
direct CDW and to transition Class B, and was immediately cleared in with

descent to 6,500 and direct CDW. This put us on a perfect turn to round

the
tip of Manhattan directly over the bridge, and then start our way up the
Hudson river side of the city. As I leveled off at 6,500, I noticed the
queue of departures waiting on the taxiway at Newark for 22L. They were
departing at a good pace, probably one every 45 seconds. We were handed

over
to "Newark" departure (a term I hadn't heard til today), and I noticed

that
that controller was a bit busier. He was still able to handle us very well
though, with just a small vector more northward, which again, put us in an
even better position to view the city from along the Hudson.

A few minutes later we were cleared down to 2,500, and as we descended
through 3,000, radar services were terminated, I contacted CDW, and was
cleared for a straight-in on 27 behind one more arrival. Picture perfect
landing to an absolutely picture perfect flight. I will _definitely_ be
doing this one again!

p.s... when we arrived at CDW around noon today (before the flights),

there
were, I kid you not, _12_ planes queued up on the taxiway waiting to

depart.
All GA. I've never seen that many GA planes in a line at any airport

before.
The tower told all the touch and go traffic to land or go elsewhere for a
while so they could clear out the traffic, but my oh my, I think that gave
me a taste of what to expect if I make it out to Oshkosh this year! :-)

--
Guy Elden Jr.

Old December 16th 03, 01:04 PM
Rosspilot

Unreal no matter how many times I do it and it's even more magical at night.

Agree. Been flying here for 10 years and I never get tired of it.
www.Rosspilot.com