Can deaf fly under sports pilot rule?

Old March 16th 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Can deaf fly under sports pilot rule?

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
There are no normal pilots, we are all exceptional.

Everybody stand and give Jim a high-five! Thank you Jim.

allen

Old March 16th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Thank you.

Old March 16th 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

See if your local library has "Flight of the Gin Fiz" by Henry Kisor.
Henry is a deaf pilot and his book recounts how he learned to fly then
retraced the route of Cal Rodgers, who was the first person to fly
across the U.S., in 1911.
Cal was also deaf.

Old March 16th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

How can a deaf pilot be aware of radio traffic? I'm a skydiver and have
experienced a plane flying thru a group of decending jumpers both while in
freefall and under canopy. This should not happen if the pilot was
listening to the radio and knew where they were! The jump plane is required
to get permission and to give a warning over the radio before jumpers exit
the aircraft. How does a deaf pilot become aware of these and other
important messages coming over the radio?

Old March 16th 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Sail-n-Dive" wrote in message
How can a deaf pilot be aware of radio traffic? I'm a skydiver and have
experienced a plane flying thru a group of decending jumpers both while
in freefall and under canopy. This should not happen if the pilot was
listening to the radio and knew where they were! The jump plane is
required to get permission and to give a warning over the radio before
jumpers exit the aircraft. How does a deaf pilot become aware of these
and other important messages coming over the radio?

The same way a Cub, Champ and all the other planes without radios do. There
are tens of thousands of airplanes without radios. In a metro area there
could be many in the jump area not listening on the frequency the jump plane
is using. There is no legal requirement to listen to the jump plane
broadcasts. There is a requirement to see and avoid.

Old March 16th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Sail-n-Dive wrote:
How can a deaf pilot be aware of radio traffic? I'm a skydiver and have
experienced a plane flying thru a group of decending jumpers both while in
freefall and under canopy. This should not happen if the pilot was
listening to the radio and knew where they were!

This should not happen if the pilot and spotter were checking for
traffic before exiting.

Old March 16th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

For the most part they were average unless you factor in the additional
work it took for them to pass their flight checks and the hassles they
did for the medicals. It took some extra effort on my part in learning
to adapt their physical problems to the physical acts of control
manipulations, etc. It was a challenge and ended up being educational
for me as well as fun, and frustrating, and satisfying, and gratifying,
etc.
Selway Kid

Old March 17th 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Well, aren't jumps supposed to be announced via NOTAMS? if you
are flying NORDO for whatever reason (deaf, antique aircraft without
a radio, or radio off as you are perfectly entitled to in uncontrolled
airspace), you just avoid the drop zone.

Actually I would say that just listening to the radio without being
aware of the NOTAMS might not do you much good as you won't really
know where the jumpers are anyway.

--Sylvain

Old March 17th 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Sylvain wrote:
Well, aren't jumps supposed to be announced via NOTAMS? if you
are flying NORDO for whatever reason (deaf, antique aircraft without
a radio, or radio off as you are perfectly entitled to in uncontrolled
airspace), you just avoid the drop zone.

Sylvain
Problem is sometimes jumps are done impromptu and no NOTAMS filed. In
any event, the drop zones are usually published in several places and
pilots just do a poor job of pre-flight planning.
I've got at least four DZ's within a 40 mile radius of my base but they
are active sporadically and mostly on weekends.