AOA indicator pinout

Old October 17th 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_2_]

Default AOA indicator pinout

cavelamb himself wrote:
Dan wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

Dan wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

Dan wrote:

Morgans wrote:

"Dan" wrote

Mine reads to + 30º. I am finishing out an instrument panel
for an airplane I will never be able to afford to complete. My
own design.

Hmmm, interesting.

Now that our curiosity is aroused, care to tell us more?

Planform, construction materials/methods, approximate performance
parameters, locomotion, how many places?

So many questions! ;-))

1/2 scale A-10, aluminum, Vne 350ish, range on internal fuel at
75% approximately 400 miles, ducted fan (7,000 rpm-ish), 1 place.
It started as an mind exercise based on my headroom requirements
not being available in any homebuilt design plus A-10 being a
rather neat aircraft. I'm not going to build it because I will
probably never get my medical back, but I make sub assemblies for
the fun of it. I have made two main instrument panels for it, one
IFR the other VFR. It's occupational therapy

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

I thought about building a cockpit simulator - for similar reasons.
Decided to go sailing instead.

But I certainly understand...

Richard

Sailing has its advantages not the least of which is no FAA. I
haven't been sailing in decades, maybe I should build a boat instead.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

if you want to build, build.
If you want to fly, buy.

Works the same with boats.

See? There you go being practical again. I have plans for 12 - 16
foot sailboats. Maybe you can buy me a 42 footer for my birthday, it's
1 November

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Get a smaller boat to start with.
They are a lot more fun and a whole lot less hassle.
(and a whole lot less expensive!)

I might offer to sell my Catalina 18 for your birthday.
But ONLY because I have a lead on a Catalina 30.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/index.htm

Richard, U.S. Navy, retired

When I was in the Air Force I spent time at sea on Navy boats. My
primary function seemed to be getting lost on board those things. I
think I will stick to small boats.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old October 17th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Bill Daniels wrote:

It's been done. Bob Carlton has an airshow act with a jet sailplane.

Jet sailplanes may well have a real future. Although the specific fuel
efficiency of model airplane dog whistles is terrible, (but improving)
mating them with an extremely efficient airframe seems to work really well.

Some 'back of the envelope' calcualtions show that a single RC model
microjet in the 50 Lb thrust range would push my glider along at well over
100 knots. The 75 gallon wing tanks normally used for water ballast would
provide a very nice range. If the 'dog whistle' quits, just retract it an
you still have a 50:1 glide ratio.

Bill Daniels

Bill Daniels

And what might those back of the envelope calculations say about
climb rate???
Old October 17th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Dan" wrote

When I was in the Air Force I spent time at sea on Navy boats. My
primary function seemed to be getting lost on board those things. I think
I will stick to small boats.

If you want to dink around on inland lakes, a 16 or 19 foot is fine. If you
want to sleep aboard or go out on the Great Lakes or the Oceans, you need to
think in the 23 foot and up range.

As far as the smaller ones being easy to sail on, my dad and I started on an
O'day 25, and it was not hard at all. You might want to look into O'day if
you are buying. Shoal draft, swing board keel, and not to hard to trailer
with a 3/4 ton van or truck, with at least a 350 engine. I think you can
find them with an inboard diesel, and that is the way to go. We started
with an outboard, and we converted it to an inboard Yanmar diesel. Tricky,
but my dad was an engineer, and we figured it out just fine. Plenty of room
to sleep aboard, but I don't think you would want to live aboard for very
long. You could, if it was just 2 people, and you put in some extras,
though.

I know what you mean about thinking of building a boat. The thought has
crossed my mind more than once.;-)

An airplane is more capable of getting to more places more rapidly, though!
(required aviation componentg)
--
Jim in NC

Old October 17th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Bill Daniels" bildan@comcast-dot-net wrote

Some 'back of the envelope' calcualtions show that a single RC model
microjet in the 50 Lb thrust range would push my glider along at well over
100 knots. The 75 gallon wing tanks normally used for water ballast would
provide a very nice range. If the 'dog whistle' quits, just retract it an
you still have a 50:1 glide ratio.

Hummm, you could mount one solid in the tail cone, and duct a NACA inlet to
it, with a closeable sliding door on it.

That would really be slick!

I wonder how much thrust you would need to rise off ground?
--
Jim in NC

Old October 17th 07, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_2_]

Morgans wrote:
"Dan" wrote

[...]

I did some ocean sailing on a wood Sailfish when I was in high
school. It was fun, but not recommended. I also did Hurricane Island
Outward Bound way back before 'lectricity was invented. Those pulling
boats were a gas.

Back to aviation content: I still need the pin out for the indicator.
I have no idea who made it so I can't contact the manufacturer.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old October 17th 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Al G[_1_]

"Dan" wrote in message ...
Bill Daniels wrote:
"Dan" wrote in message
Bill Daniels wrote:
"Dan" wrote in message
Rich S. wrote:
"Dan" wrote in message
1/2 scale A-10, aluminum, (snip)
Whew! Had to read that three times. I thought you said, "1/2 A scale
. . ." I envisioned a Cox .049. )

Rich S.
You know it's just a matter of time before someone builds a man
capable airplane powered by a huge number of TeeDee .049 engines.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Hmm, just duct tape a bunch of them on a sailplane - mine only requires
20 pounds of thrust for level flight.

Bill Daniels
Now THAT I'd like to see. You could do like the guy with the Cri Cri
did and use a pair of model jet engines.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

It's been done. Bob Carlton has an airshow act with a jet sailplane.

Jet sailplanes may well have a real future. Although the specific fuel
efficiency of model airplane dog whistles is terrible, (but improving)
mating them with an extremely efficient airframe seems to work really
well.

Some 'back of the envelope' calcualtions show that a single RC model
microjet in the 50 Lb thrust range would push my glider along at well
over 100 knots. The 75 gallon wing tanks normally used for water ballast
would provide a very nice range. If the 'dog whistle' quits, just
retract it an you still have a 50:1 glide ratio.

Bill Daniels

Bill Daniels

I hadn't realized it had been done. I wonder how altitude affects
performance of the engine.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

So what kind of license/type rating does it take to fly a Twin TurboJet
self launched sailplane for hire? Does it require a second in command? An
ELT? How about fuel reserves?

Al G

Old October 17th 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

"Al G" wrote in message

So what kind of license/type rating does it take to fly a Twin TurboJet
self launched sailplane for hire? Does it require a second in command? An
ELT? How about fuel reserves?

Al G

You will need a commercial glider rating with "self launch" log book
endorsement. Currently an ELT isn't required in a sailplane.

The primary purpose of a glider, of any kind, is to use atomespherephic
conditions to maintain flight. Therefore the engine(s) are used to launch
the glider and reserve isn't an issue.

Respectfully,

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/

Old October 17th 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bill Daniels

"Al G" wrote in message

"Dan" wrote in message
Bill Daniels wrote:
"Dan" wrote in message
Bill Daniels wrote:
"Dan" wrote in message
Rich S. wrote:
"Dan" wrote in message
[...]

The 'for hire' part of your question means you need a commercial glider
rating. To that rating you need to add a "self launch" endorsement that is
provided by a glider flight instructor who must also have the endorsement.
AFAIK, the number of engines has no significance in motorgliders - there
being no standard category multi-engine motorgliders.

The problem is that if the glider in question has a standard category
airworthiness certificate, adding microjet engines would require a
modification of that certificate - pretty unlikely under the current
regulatory regime. That complicates the 'for hire' part. For a homebuilt
experimental, or exibition & racing, you're on your own.

For Dan's earlier question about performance at altitude, what I hear from
Bob is that it looks pretty good. His real concern was restarts at
altitude. He made a big improvement in that by switching from glo-plugs to
spark igniters. As I understand it, the micomputer engine controller senses
altitude and adjusts the engine to adapt.

The normal operational mode for me would be to fill the tanks with Jet-A and
then launch the glider by normal means retaining the fuel as mere ballast.
When the day ends and a glide home is problematic, I'd start the jets and
climb to 17,500 and shut them down again for a 150 mile glide. If that
wasn't sufficient, I'd just do it again. You can't overstate just how
beautiful a long, silent glide like that is.

Bill Daniels

Old October 17th 07, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bill Daniels

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
Bill Daniels wrote:

It's been done. Bob Carlton has an airshow act with a jet sailplane.

Jet sailplanes may well have a real future. Although the specific fuel
efficiency of model airplane dog whistles is terrible, (but improving)
mating them with an extremely efficient airframe seems to work really
well.

Some 'back of the envelope' calcualtions show that a single RC model
microjet in the 50 Lb thrust range would push my glider along at well
over 100 knots. The 75 gallon wing tanks normally used for water ballast
would provide a very nice range. If the 'dog whistle' quits, just
retract it an you still have a 50:1 glide ratio.

Bill Daniels

Bill Daniels

And what might those back of the envelope calculations say about
climb rate???

Not bad, around 300 - 400 FPM.

The problem is the takeoff roll. I would expect that with full tanks at a
gross weight of 1422 pounds, full throttle wouldn't move the glider from a
standstill. Even if the glider started rolling, the wing runner had better
be able to do a 4-minute mile - the acceleration to an airspeed where I had
reasonable aileron authority would take a fair amount of time and distance.
I'd plan to use an aero tow or a winch launch before air-starting the
engines.

Bill Daniels

Old October 17th 07, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Bill Daniels wrote:

[...]

It takes a bunch f seconds to start those things.
Mose have computer controls that will autostart it,
but it takes time.

I've seen one SMALL one (25 lb thrust?) run.
You can watch the fuel level drop!

Century Ic Pinout Grandmaster Owning 1 November 28th 06 03:18 PM
KR-21 pinout Tri-Pacer Piloting 0 September 9th 06 02:37 AM
Pinout for StormScope WX-900 epotenziani Products 0 August 22nd 05 08:32 PM
KAA 455 pinout Mike Rapoport Owning 0 February 28th 05 12:57 AM
RT-540A pinout help Billc851 Home Built 1 December 12th 04 04:27 PM