Finish sanding slurry solution

Old January 13th 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gregg Leslie

Default Finish sanding slurry solution

Hi Folks,

Anyone use a colored slurry solution when you are wet
sanding to finish? I see on the Polish refinish site
they use some kind of blue solution that drys. Any
idea what it is composed of?

GL

Old January 13th 08, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Udo

Gregg
Buy a can of lacquer paint, any dark colour will do.
Hold the can about 2 feet above the surface and spray horizontally
and produce a speckled surface. used a cloth wetted with thinner
and wipe, bingo you will have a nice coloured surface.
http://www.wingdolly.reach.net/image2.html
Udo

Old January 13th 08, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Thomas

pretty much everybody uses these in some for or other
when profiling gelcoat

red/black/blue 1 pack paint, put some in a jar, dilute
with acetone (gives very quick drying), you will have
to experement with dilution, too thin, you cant see
it, too thick and it will clog the finer grits . wipe
on with rag, we call it scumble locally, sand until
it disapears (but do not sand untill every single dot
disappears otherwise you may sand through.

for each grade of abrasive you use reapply(shows up
the scratches from the last cut)

for small areas you can use a soft graphite pencil

if you have to apply more gelcoat or fill pinholes,
wipe of residual paint with acetone first otherwise
it will be trapped under the gel

in any case wipe down with acetone before polishing

Pete

Old January 14th 08, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian Bange

Go to the local auto paint store and buy a 3M product
called Dry Guide Coat. It is much, much easier than
making some concoction that needs to be sprayed or
smeared on. It has a foam applicator pad and as the
name implies, it goes on dry. It holds up to water,
yet comes right off with a swipe of sand paper. Really
good stuff, designed for this exact application. I've
tried the other methods, and found this to be far superior.

Brian Bange

Old January 15th 08, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jan 13, 10:40 am, Gregg Leslie
wrote:
Hi Folks,

Anyone use a colored slurry solution when you are wet
sanding to finish? I see on the Polish refinish site
they use some kind of blue solution that drys. Any
idea what it is composed of?

GL

Take a look at the jimphoenix website.
Great finish / refinish info.
He uses blue ink and water to dye the gelcoat he
http://www.jimphoenix.com/jimphoenix...ubNimbus1.html

RJL
Mini Nimbus FK
Old January 15th 08, 06:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig[_2_]

wrote:

Hi Folks,

Anyone use a colored slurry solution when you are wet
sanding to finish? I see on the Polish refinish site
they use some kind of blue solution that drys. Any
idea what it is composed of?

GL

Take a look at the jimphoenix website.
Great finish / refinish info.
He uses blue ink and water to dye the gelcoat hehttp://www.jimphoenix.com/jimphoenix...us1/subNimbus1...

RJL
Mini Nimbus FK

Udo's on the right track, but you don't even need to spend the time to
smear it around with a thinner soaked rag. A $3.00 can of semi-flat
black Krylon works great. Just mist it on to speckle the surface and
wait a few minutes for it to dry and away you go. Simple and fast.

Craig