RANS S-9 Chaos loses a wing

Old August 26th 10, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Lamb

Default RANS S-9 Chaos loses a wing

On 8/25/2010 3:25 PM, george wrote:
On Aug 25, 4:18 pm, wrote:
Morgans wrote:
It's been a long recovery but he's OK now, except for the limp.
Yep. I've used that joke and will use it again. It tickles my old funny
bone every time.

I have to admit, I missed that one, the first time around.

Could it be that I'm not quite as old as you two? ;-)

I'm only 29, really I am, I just look like this because I had a rough
youth. Now, of you don't like that lie I will tell you a better one next
time.

Beneath our gnarled wrinkled carcasses we are all 19 :-)

Hear Him!
Old August 26th 10, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

a wrote:
I read or perhaps misread that rescue chutes might bring you to the
ground at about 25 feet per second. This is about as fast as you'd be
falling from a bit less than a 10 foot free fall under 1 G. I
remember an old physics axiom that states if you were in free fall
under 1 G for 10 feet, and you stopped in 1 foot, you'd experience an
average of 10 Gs.

Your recollection of the physics is correct. The basic equation for uniform
accelerations (no drag, no initial vertical speed) is:

a*Sa = g*Sg

where "a" is the deceleration rate, "Sa" is the deceleration distance, "g"
is the acceleration of gravity, and "Sg" is the distance the object fell
during free fall.

Derivation is left as an exercise for the student. :-)

10 Gs in a sitting position is pretty much in the
tolerance range of most of us. Ejection seats in fighters provide
about 15 Gs over more than several feet.

As to what gee forces are survivable, Wikipedia appears to have a
surprisingly decent article on the subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-force
Old August 26th 10, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"a" wrote

I was thinking I might get a foot out of the Mooney. The main gear
bone is attached to the wing spar bone and that is one piece, going
thru the fuselage. You're not sitting on the spar, but almost. The
wings are not attached to the cabin, the cabin is built around the
wing spar.
***********************
Yeah, a Mooney might only get a foot. They are not known for the most
"forgiving" landing gear.

That aside, I'll take a Mooney as a get there airplane, any day!
--
Jim in NC

Old September 18th 10, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Ala

"a" wrote in message
On Aug 23, 10:50 pm, "Morgans" wrote:
"Garry O" wrote

While none of the AC I have flown have had a BRS installed I know that I
would not pull the handle unless all other options had been exhausted
and
F^(K the airframe, if it gave up its life saving mine then so be it, AC
can be re-built or another purchased, my kids and wife can not so easily
replace me, or so I would like to think ;-)

Indeed. And so you think and hope- that you are not easily replaced. g

On a slightly different thought, my wife had been previously married, and
had left her ex because of some extra-curricular activities on his part.

Now, when I screw up on something (fairly large screw-ups) she is quick to
remind me, saying, (I got rid of one, already. I can do it again, just as
easily) This, with a smile on her face.

I think (hope) she is joking on that one, too! g
--
Jim in NC

Being introduced as "My present husband" keeps one's role in context,
doesn't it?

Thanks - good points.

Hope all is well - how much snow predicted

FAA falling further into chaos TheTruth[_2_] Piloting 2 March 12th 08 07:05 AM
Batavia Air 737 loses wing segment in flight BernieFlyer[_2_] Piloting 2 November 25th 07 11:05 AM
FAA Chaos MyCoxaFallen Piloting 12 June 6th 05 04:54 PM
DC Chaos, 9/11 and other assorted FAA diasters MyCoxaFallen Instrument Flight Rules 0 June 2nd 05 06:23 PM