FAA PPL night flight requirement - does it have to be DUAL?

Old October 15th 04, 02:22 AM
Gary Drescher

"Bob Martin" wrote in message
You must also have a solo cross country flight of 150 miles total

distance,
with three full stop landings and one segment between stops at least 50
miles long, per FAR 61.109(a)(5)(ii). This flight could be conducted at
night if your instructor has signed you off for solo night flight, but
few
instructors will allow that and most students do the flight during the
day

The XC landings need to be full stop? Oops...

I almost got that wrong too during my primary training. I made one stop for
fuel, but at the second airport I'd planned to do a touch and go (as I'd
done on my training XCs and my two practice solo XCs). I hadn't reviewed the
appropriate regulation, and my instructor didn't catch the problem either
during the pre-flight briefing. Luckily, for some reason, the tower was only
able to accommodate full-stop landings at the time.

--Gary

Old October 15th 04, 03:58 AM
Bob Martin

I almost got that wrong too during my primary training. I made one stop for
fuel, but at the second airport I'd planned to do a touch and go (as I'd
done on my training XCs and my two practice solo XCs). I hadn't reviewed the
appropriate regulation, and my instructor didn't catch the problem either
during the pre-flight briefing. Luckily, for some reason, the tower was only
able to accommodate full-stop landings at the time.

Well, mine was two and a half years ago... don't think it really matters
anymore. And come to think of it, I never made a full-stop at a towered
field either... so I don't know how to talk to ground (and haven't flown
out of/landed at a towered field since the long XC in my training).
Old October 15th 04, 05:04 PM
John Galban

Bob Martin wrote in message ...

Well, mine was two and a half years ago... don't think it really matters
anymore. And come to think of it, I never made a full-stop at a towered
field either... so I don't know how to talk to ground (and haven't flown
out of/landed at a towered field since the long XC in my training).

I can see how you could get by with a T & G on the cross-country,
depending on how you logged it. In fact, full stop landings on the
long XC have not always been required. When I did mine in '88, I did
a T&G at one airport. Back then, the reg only required that you
"land" at the other airports. I can't remember when it changed.

I am surprised that you made it past the DE without 3 full-stop
landings at a towered field. It's a clear requirement and they
usually check those off on a checklist while going through your
logbook.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old October 15th 04, 07:11 PM
Teacherjh

I can see how you could get by with a T & G on the cross-country,
depending on how you logged it. In fact, full stop landings on the
long XC have not always been required.

When I did my PPL, I had to get my logbook endorsed by -somebody- on the field,
presumably to show that I actually went there. That's not easy with a touch
and go.

Jose
Old October 15th 04, 10:37 PM
Gary Drescher

"Peter" wrote in message

Todd Pattist wrote

When I did my PPL, I had to get my logbook endorsed by -somebody- on the
field,
presumably to show that I actually went there. That's not easy with a
touch
and go.

It's not easy with a T&G, but it's also not required to have
it endorsed.

If an endorsement is not required, why does the night x/c have to be
done with an instructor?

Different XCs--the conversation drifted to the topic of the student solo XC
requirement.

The night XC has to be with an instructor because you're supposed to receive
training and evaluation by the instructor during that flight. As I mentioned
earlier, the commercial certificate has a similar requirement for XC flights
with an instructor (in addition to a solo XC).

--Gary

Peter.
E-mail replies to but remove the X and the Y.

Old October 16th 04, 05:57 AM
Roger

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 22:12:07 +0100, Peter
wrote:

Todd Pattist wrote

When I did my PPL, I had to get my logbook endorsed by -somebody- on the field,
presumably to show that I actually went there. That's not easy with a touch
and go.

It's not easy with a T&G, but it's also not required to have
it endorsed.

If an endorsement is not required, why does the night x/c have to be
done with an instructor?

Just like your initial day cross country has to be dual so does the
night. IF you can get the instructor to sign you off AND some one who
will rent a plane to a student for a night flight, you would only need
to be signed off for the cross country at night. At least it used to
be that way. The hard part would probably be finding someone who
would rent to a student for a solo night flight. Insurance companies
are kinda funny about some things.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Peter.

Old October 16th 04, 07:36 AM
Peter Duniho

"Roger" wrote in message
I never had any one endorse my log at any other field on any cross
country. Admittedly that was a *while* back.

It's still not required.

Old October 17th 04, 01:40 PM
Bob Martin

John Galban wrote:
Bob Martin wrote in message ...

Well, mine was two and a half years ago... don't think it really matters
anymore. And come to think of it, I never made a full-stop at a towered
field either... so I don't know how to talk to ground (and haven't flown
out of/landed at a towered field since the long XC in my training).

I am surprised that you made it past the DE without 3 full-stop
landings at a towered field. It's a clear requirement and they
usually check those off on a checklist while going through your
logbook.

Well, I didn't mark t&g any differently than full-stop in the logbook...
so he saw enough landings at the field, and probably figured they were
full-stop (and had more important things to worry about than to ask).
Old October 20th 04, 07:46 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Peter" wrote in message
So my night flying was legal, in fact it was done fully IFR, mostly in
IMC, because I can do that in the UK outside Class A with my night
rating and IMC rating.

Didn't you do a suitable cross-country for your night rating?

Paul