"Rolling" to ATC

Old February 4th 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
chris[_1_]

Default "Rolling" to ATC

On Feb 5, 9:46 am, Mxsmanic wrote:
chris writes:
In this country (NZ) we seem to hear 'rolling' from people who have
been trained at uncontrolled airfields and seem to bring that with
them when flying into controlled airfields. The rest of us don't
generally say it until we get to an uncontrolled airfield..

Do you say anything prior to the take-off? If so, what do you add by
saying "rolling"? (If not, I can understand why you'd say it,
although by the time you _are_ rolling, it's a bit late to warn anyone
who might be in your way.)

At a controlled airfield 'rolling' is quite redundant, since before
you can takeoff you must have received a clearance to takeoff and then
have read it back. Rolling is useful at uncontrolled airfields
because there is no ATC, therefore no clearance required to takeoff so
it lets other pilots who might be on downwind or finals know you'll be
off the runway in a few seconds and they will be able to land. At an
uncontrolled airfield I will often make a radio call when lining up
and another for rolling..

Old February 4th 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The way I have heard 'rolling' used, and the way I have sometimes used
it myself, is if given a clearance along the lines of "Cessna XYZ,
cleared for take-off, no delay" or "Cessna XYZ, cleared for take-off -
expedite, landing traffic".

In this situation, when you acknowledge the clearnace, you could say
"Cleared for take-off, Cessna XYZ". This does not confirm to the
controller that you heard the 'expedite', and so may cause the
controller to repeat the instruction. Or you can say "Cleared for take-
off, no delay, Cessna XYZ". Or "Cleared for take-off, rolling, Cessna
XYZ" or even "Rolling, Cessna XYZ".

As previously advised to in a thread a while back in this group, when
given a take-off clearance with an 'expedite' in it, I tend to glance
up the final approach path, then push the throttle in, then key the
mike for the acknowledgement. It's nice when controllers do things
efficiently, saving me 0.1 hour at rental rates, so I try to be as
responsive as possible in return.

Old February 4th 07, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

chris writes:

At a controlled airfield 'rolling' is quite redundant, since before
you can takeoff you must have received a clearance to takeoff and then
have read it back. Rolling is useful at uncontrolled airfields
because there is no ATC, therefore no clearance required to takeoff so
it lets other pilots who might be on downwind or finals know you'll be
off the runway in a few seconds and they will be able to land. At an
uncontrolled airfield I will often make a radio call when lining up
and another for rolling..

Thanks, that seems logical.

Old February 4th 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc

However, although it makes sense, pilots are not required to acknowledge or
read back a take off or landing clearance.

Old February 4th 07, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

writes:

[...]

This is the way I do it, mostly. If the controller makes it clear
that I must take off immediately, I acknowledge the clearance and also
indicate that I'm actually moving. Conversely, if the controller does
not make it clear that I must move quickly, and if for some reason
there is any significant delay between my readback of the clearance
and my actual take-off, I will advise the controller when I'm actually
rolling.

Old February 4th 07, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Casey Wilson

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

This is the way I do it, mostly. If the controller makes it clear
that I must take off immediately, I acknowledge the clearance and also
indicate that I'm actually moving. Conversely, if the controller does
not make it clear that I must move quickly, and if for some reason
there is any significant delay between my readback of the clearance
and my actual take-off, I will advise the controller when I'm actually
rolling.

NOTICE!!!!
Mxsmanic is NOT a pilot, has NEVER flown an aircraft and is NOT qualified to
issue competent information regarding any aspect of the operation of any
aircraft.

Old February 4th 07, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Casey Wilson writes:

NOTICE!!!!
Mxsmanic is NOT a pilot, has NEVER flown an aircraft and is NOT qualified to
issue competent information regarding any aspect of the operation of any
aircraft.

The current topic is communication with ATC, not flying by the seat of
the pants, and in this context, real aircraft experience is
irrelevant. If you think otherwise, please explain why, specifically.

Old February 4th 07, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Mxsmanic wrote:
Under what conditions, if any, would you explicitly tell ATC that you
are rolling, that is, actually rolling on the runway for take-off?

I hear this used occasionally, but I don't know if there are any
formal circumstances that merit it, or if it is just at pilot
discretion, or what. It is normally independent of the readback of
the take-off clearance (which precedes it), although sometimes I hear
"Rolling" without a readback of the clearance.

What is the name of Dagwood's wife?