The Vietnam Memorial Wall

Old June 3rd 04, 06:18 PM
George Z. Bush

Ron wrote:
Hindsight is wonderful in providing insight, providing one is willing to
learn
from it. Those unwilling to learn from it are doomed to repeat the
experience.
The current batch of Kerry bashers haven't figured out yet that he was right
and
the rest of us who thought at the time that we belonged in that dogfight were
wrong.

George Z.

But he was not right in labeling vets as war criminals acting like Genghis
Khan, or his dubious throwing the medals story of which there are at least 4
versions given by him, or when his group he headed was sending fake vets to
testify about war crimes and atrocities.

If we can forgive Cong. Henry Hyde (R-Ohio) his self-styled "youthful
indiscretion" for a five year long affair with a married mother at the age of 45
that destroyed her family, we Christian Conservatives ought to be able to
forgive Kerry for overloading his mouth when he was in his early 20s. I
seriously doubt that there are very many of us who haven't said things in our
younger days that we didn't later regret. Those who deny that they ever did
such things are merely short on memory.

George Z.

Old June 3rd 04, 06:30 PM
OXMORON1

George wrote:
If we can forgive Cong. Henry Hyde (R-Ohio) his self-styled "youthful
indiscretion" for a five year long affair with a married mother at the age of
45
that destroyed her family, we Christian Conservatives ought to be able to
forgive Kerry for overloading his mouth when he was in his early 20s. I
seriously doubt that there are very many of us who haven't said things in our
younger days that we didn't later regret. Those who deny that they ever did
such things are merely short on memory.

It isn't Kerry's words of 30 years that bother me so much. I probably have been
wrong as many times if not more. What does bother me about Kerry is his
inconsistency and those damn shoes he wears....the flip flops.

oxmoron
MFE

Old June 3rd 04, 09:06 PM
George Z. Bush

OXMORON1 wrote:
George wrote:
If we can forgive Cong. Henry Hyde (R-Ohio) his self-styled "youthful
indiscretion" for a five year long affair with a married mother at the age of
45
that destroyed her family, we Christian Conservatives ought to be able to
forgive Kerry for overloading his mouth when he was in his early 20s. I
seriously doubt that there are very many of us who haven't said things in our
younger days that we didn't later regret. Those who deny that they ever did
such things are merely short on memory.

It isn't Kerry's words of 30 years that bother me so much. I probably have
been wrong as many times if not more. What does bother me about Kerry is his
inconsistency and those damn shoes he wears....the flip flops.

If flip flops are what bothers you, you need to take a close look at our
president because he's made far more of them than Kerry ever did, even if he
hasn't been on the national scene nearly as long. Do you need a list, or are
you curious enough to do your own searching?

George Z.

oxmoron
MFE

Old June 3rd 04, 10:12 PM
Frijoles

I think the foreigner he was referring to was himself, not Maya Lin.

"Cub Driver" wrote in message
news

For a foreigner, it did its job.

Maya Lin was born in Athens, Ohio. Can't get more American than that!

She was a student at Yale when she won the Vietnam Memorial
competition.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com

Old June 4th 04, 12:25 PM
mah

Billy Beck wrote:

That Memorial is *always* the top item on my to-do list whenever
I have a spare moment in Washington.

And I've seen it at every hour of the day, but it is never so
powerful as in the middle of the night.

Billy

http://www.two--four.net/weblog.php

I'll agree with you. It's always on my list.

The most moving visit was just after the dedication. The memorial
sidewalks were not completed. We walked on wooden planking to see the
memorial. It was a foggy night and the city lights disappeared as we
descended towards the center of the wall. Someone was reading the names
on the wall in a measured pace.

All I remember was a disembodied voice

Williams, Charles R
Roberts, Thomas C
Frederichs, Allan P

-----------------

Another moving experience is to walk into Arlington Cemetary from the
visitor's center towards the Tomb of the Unknowns. If the wind is
carrying from the west, you hear the footsteps of the guard for quite a
distance. It drifts over the rows of stones.
--------------

MAH
Old June 4th 04, 10:40 PM
Alan Minyard

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 06:25:26 -0500, mah wrote:

Billy Beck wrote:

[...]

A visit to the Punch Bowl brings tears to my eyes every time. I used to
go there whenever we were in port at Pearl and when I was "just passin'
through".

Al Minyard
Old June 5th 04, 10:29 AM
Cub Driver

So what do you guys think of the statues?

The first time I was at the Wall, there were no statues. The second
time, the three soldiers. I was there most recently in January, when
presumably the nurse(s?) had been added, but apparently I didn't
notice.

Old June 5th 04, 03:59 PM
Paul J. Adam

In message , Cub Driver
writes

So what do you guys think of the statues?

The first time I was at the Wall, there were no statues. The second
time, the three soldiers. I was there most recently in January, when
presumably the nurse(s?) had been added, but apparently I didn't
notice.

The soldiers were there in late 2000 when we visited. Don't recall any
nurses, but there was a bronze of three soldiers facing the Wall when I
was there.

I liked them and they were good work, but the Wall was what grabbed and
held the attention. On the other hand, the statues were a reminder that
every one of those names had a face.

I'm not much on artistic analysis; I just know that the Vietnam Memorial
moved me deeply. (The Korean memorial got to me as well, mind you)

--
He thinks too much: such men are dangerous.
Julius Caesar I:2

Old June 5th 04, 04:35 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 05:29:04 -0400, Cub Driver
wrote:

So what do you guys think of the statues?

The first time I was at the Wall, there were no statues. The second
time, the three soldiers. I was there most recently in January, when
presumably the nurse(s?) had been added, but apparently I didn't
notice.

The statues are extraneous at best--the addy little to the impact of
the memorial, and politically correct at worst. The implication that
the losses were shared equitably among the races and exclusively by
the Army is wrong. Might want to consider Burkitt's "Stolen Valor" for
the stats on much of this.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Old June 6th 04, 08:23 AM
John Keeney

"Paul J. Adam" wrote in message

I'm not much on artistic analysis; I just know that the Vietnam Memorial
moved me deeply. (The Korean memorial got to me as well, mind you)

I've not been to DC for nearly 30 years, so I've obviously not seen
the Vietnam Memorial.
The Washington Monument was interesting as a structure. The
Lincoln memorial was impressive and moving, Jefferson's "right".
Arlington, well, quieting.
But I was by Mt Rushmore some years back and it moved me
in a way beyond any thing I expected or can understand even now.