Any New Names for the F-35?

Old June 9th 04, 05:34 PM
Krztalizer

Its a no brainer.

The F-35 Wasp.
Old June 9th 04, 06:53 PM
Airyx

Scott Ferrin wrote in message . ..

The thing is the Kestrel has already been used. The Harrier
predecessor/prototype/experimental thing-a-ma-bob was called the
Kestrel. Most of the bird types are taken. You already have Eagles,
Falcons, Hawks, and so forth. I liked it back in the day like
Republic with it's Thunder------ and Grumman with it's cats. It's not
really written in stone that it needs to be a bird. You can tell they
really had to scrape the bottom of the barrel to come up with
"Raptor".

I think the JSF looks like a baby Raptor, maybe we should call it the
Raptor Chick. Maybe we can just paint them all black and call them the
Crows. Has ChickenHawk been used? Remember that little guy that used
to pester Foghorn Leghorn?

Old June 9th 04, 11:34 PM
Peter Twydell

In article , Freedom Elz
writes

Scott Ferrin wrote in message
.. .
On 8 Jun 2004 22:51:01 -0700, (George) wrote:

"Harley W Daugherty" wrote in message

hlink.net...

Kestrel, a small fast and maneuverable bird of prey.

Harley

That's about the only one I've heard that follows the USAF tradition
(at least the last three) of naming their fighter planes after birds
of prey. However, if we followed the Air Force trend, it may **** off
the swabbies.

The thing is the Kestrel has already been used. The Harrier
predecessor/prototype/experimental thing-a-ma-bob was called the
Kestrel. Most of the bird types are taken. You already have Eagles,
Falcons, Hawks, and so forth.

I think Screech Owl would be a good one, don't think its ever been used.

The Do 17Z-6 and the Do 215B were called Kauz (= Screech Owl), and there
was the He 219 Uhu (= Eagle Owl), of course.

Don't forget the Curtiss O-52 Owl.

It's always a problem finding new names as practically everything with
an aggressive slant has been used in the past. Apart from barrel-
scrapings such as Raptor, that is. Rolls-Royce used birds of prey for
its piston engines, from Falcon to Merlin to Eagle, and the Miles
company also used them for its aircraft in the thirties and forties:
Falcon, Hobby, Sparrowhawk, etc.

Perhaps something astronomical (to match the costs) following Lockheed
tradition? Venus is topical right now, but I can't see that being used
somehow. Lockheed Nova? Shades of GM, and images of something going bang
in a bright flash...
The only star name I can find that begins with L is Lesath, and that's
not really too exciting.

How about Levitator for the VTOL version?
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Old June 9th 04, 11:47 PM
Paul J. Adam

In message , Scott Ferrin
writes
The thing is the Kestrel has already been used. The Harrier
predecessor/prototype/experimental thing-a-ma-bob was called the
Kestrel.

So the F-35 is the Kestrel II (same as the F-4 was the Phantom II, the
A-10 was the Thunderbolt II...) What's wrong with re-using a good name?
Navies do it all the time if they have enough ships.

I don't have a strong opinion but 'Kestrel II' seems at least
acceptable. For that matter, leave naming it late and if it seems to be
coming together well call it the "Lightning II" or the "Mustang II" or -
my favourite now I think of it - "Phantom III".

--
He thinks too much: such men are dangerous.
Julius Caesar I:2

Old June 10th 04, 01:37 AM
Scott Ferrin

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 23:47:51 +0100, "Paul J. Adam"
wrote:

In message , Scott Ferrin
writes
The thing is the Kestrel has already been used. The Harrier
predecessor/prototype/experimental thing-a-ma-bob was called the
Kestrel.

So the F-35 is the Kestrel II (same as the F-4 was the Phantom II, the
A-10 was the Thunderbolt II...) What's wrong with re-using a good name?
Navies do it all the time if they have enough ships.

I don't have a strong opinion but 'Kestrel II' seems at least
acceptable. For that matter, leave naming it late and if it seems to be
coming together well call it the "Lightning II" or the "Mustang II" or -
my favourite now I think of it - "Phantom III".

AFAIK two's and three's affixed to a name are generally only when they
are by the same manufacturer. Corsair & II both Vought, Phantom & II
McD, Thunderbolt & II Republic, Saber and SuperSaber NAA etc.
Thunderchief II would be cool (big, heavy single-seater with goofy
intakes). BTW is it the company or the buyer who gives it the
official name? Grumman, McDonnell, Republic, Boeing, Vought, all had
traditions they stuck to when it came to naming (with the exception of
the F-15 Eagle). North American, General Dynamics/Convair, Northrop
and Lockheed didn't seem to have any.

I was hoping for a Northrop win on the ATF and a "Black Widow II". Of
course that is both racist and sexist so it would have been a
nonstarter these days :-(