Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket

Old February 14th 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket

I'm planning to fly for a week-end in Boston (landing at Beverley) and would
want to spend a day in one of the two island (by plane of course!)

Which one is the most interesting ?????

Thank you

Paul

Old February 14th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Paul" wrote in message
.. .
I'm planning to fly for a week-end in Boston (landing at Beverley) and
would want to spend a day in one of the two island (by plane of course!)

Which one is the most interesting ?????

Thank you

Paul

Nantucket outclasses the Vineyard by a mile.

Old February 15th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In article ,
"Dave Stadt" wrote:

"Paul" wrote in message
.. .
I'm planning to fly for a week-end in Boston (landing at Beverley) and
would want to spend a day in one of the two island (by plane of course!)

Which one is the most interesting ?????

Thank you

Paul

Nantucket outclasses the Vineyard by a mile.

But is the vineyard friendlier to GA?

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old February 15th 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Nantucket outclasses the Vineyard by a mile.

I agree it's better.

But is the vineyard friendlier to GA?

I visited both the same summer, several years ago; didn't notice any
difference.

vince
Old February 15th 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

" I'm planning to fly for a week-end in Boston (landing at Beverley) and
would
want to spend a day in one of the two island (by plane of course!)

Which one is the most interesting ?????

Don't rule out Block Island. It's very nice too. Besides, haven't you ever
heard of island hopping? See them all!

Kobra

Old February 15th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Paul wrote:
: I'm planning to fly for a week-end in Boston (landing at Beverley) and would
: want to spend a day in one of the two island (by plane of course!)

: Which one is the most interesting ?????

: Thank you

: Paul

I have flown in this area for a few years. The Vineyard, Nantucket, and Block
Island are all very nice.

You didn't say when you are going. If you're going during the spring, summer,
or fall, consider going to Katama on Martha's Vineyard. It has three grass
runways, one is 5000 feet long. Even Trump goes there from time to time.
You can taxi up to the beach! $5 landing fee, $10 beach parking fee.
A shuttle bus runs into Edgartown for $0.50/trip. During the winter, most
touristy things are closed. The main airport on the Vineyard is also
good, but it's in the middle of the island and you'll need a cab to get
anywhere. The Oak Bluffs airport is by invite only, and you really don't
want to go there in less than a C-185.

Nantucket is "the Champagne Island". The TV execs from New York all have
weekend houses on it. It is really nice, the nicest of the three, but
can be expensive. Nantucket gets extremely busy during the summer months.
They wanted a C airspace but were denied. Cape Approach can help. Many
places are open year round.

Block Island is the smallest. You can walk it nicely in a day. The airport
is small, too, not much parking is available. They somehow manage to find a
space. Sometimes they collect a landing fee, sometimes they forget. A bike
rental is nearby the airport. Many places closed during the winter.

Fuel is expensive at all of these islands. Consider stopping at New Bedford
KEWB (Sandpiper Air) if you go to KMVY, K9B1, or KACK. KWST is a 10-minute
flight from KBID and has the lowest fuel prices around. Go to the FBO
by the windsock, not the one near the airline terminal and the Twin Seabee.
--
Aaron C.

Old February 15th 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Fuel is expensive at all of these islands.

Don't forget that Block Island has no fuel. I get mine at New London
(Groton)

Kobra

Old February 20th 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

If you're into bicycle riding, MVY is better. It has a bike path that starts
near the airport. I used to take my Dahon folder in my Seneca, and go for an
hour ride into town. When I got done panting, I'd have a bite ($100 burger)
to eat.

Otherwise, I agree withthe other poster: Nantucket is more "classy"
"Paul" wrote in message
.. .
I'm planning to fly for a week-end in Boston (landing at Beverley) and

would
want to spend a day in one of the two island (by plane of course!)

Which one is the most interesting ?????

Thank you

Paul

Ack and Back-Plane Headed To Nantucket Missing: Bushleague Piloting 5 December 5th 05 02:22 PM
Pilot killed in experimental plane crash on Martha's Vineyard Bushleague Piloting 0 November 28th 05 01:13 AM
Nantucket airport John S Piloting 7 November 4th 04 08:32 PM
JFK Jr transcripts with the Vineyard Tower AJW Piloting 2 October 3rd 04 01:11 AM
Rare Bird found at Katama [1b2] Martha's Vineyard Island, Mass. Doug Piloting 7 August 17th 04 09:20 AM