Check your Aircraft Registration, FAA not sending out notices

Old January 17th 14, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SF

Default Check your Aircraft Registration, FAA not sending out notices

I advise you to go to the FAA website and look up your N-number to see when your aircraft registration expires. Then set a reminder for yourself 4 months before the expiration date to download form AC Form 8050-1B, fill it out and mail it in with the $5.00 fee

The FAA is not sending out the notices as advertized, and once you do get a registration renewal in their hands, it is taking them almost two months to process them. There is no processing delay in the expiration of your registration, and the Aircraft can't be flown until it has a current registration. The online renewal, does not seem to speed things up either, and without the online code imbedded in a notice that wasn't sent, you can't do it on line anyway.

I have had problems with two different aircraft so far with registrations that expired 3Q 2013. And I thought the government shutdown wouldn't affect me.

SF

Old January 18th 14, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Thanks so much for that reminder! My registration expires 12/31/14 and I've
set a reminder for mid-August.

Old January 18th 14, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dale Watkins

On Friday, January 17, 2014 4:59:52 PM UTC-6, SF wrote:
[...]

I just received a notice today with a website pin to renew online for $5.00..

ZEN
Old January 18th 14, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

SF, I think you committed that most hanus crime, "Failure to Receive". Same thing happend to me on one of my planes. Mailed in a form (they had two on the website back then), but it turned out it was the wrong one. Even though the information was identical. Poked them with a letter a month after the shutdown ended, and got told what I needed to do. Did that, two months later, they finally got around re-registering the plane. I don't have the paper one yet, but is no longer shows as "expired" in the on-line registry.

Far as I have been able to tell, they are still mailing them. I suspect yours somehow got lost in the mail.

Steve Leonard
Old January 18th 14, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

SF,
Thanks a bunch for the warning. My registration expires 10/31/14. I've got a note in my electronic calendar to start looking for the registration notice on 10/1/2014.

Will also alert my club that this can happen to the club aircraft.

Chuck Zabinski