AvMap gps

Old October 24th 03, 12:21 AM
Hankal

Default AvMap gps

I have an AvMap GPS and looking for a RAM Mount fastened to the seat rails.
My plane is a 1973 Cessna 172M.
Any idea who may the best price.
Hank
Old October 24th 03, 03:45 AM
Jay Honeck

I looked into the RAM mounts for mine at OSH, and discarded them as too
pricey.

I have my AvMap mounted on my yoke with a generic aluminum yoke mount, and
it works great. Both Mary and I have a clear view of the "Sacred Six"
instruments, despite the size of the display, and we don't have something in
the middle of the seats to trip over. (Of course, clear access is more
important for us with a Piper, given the locations of the flap handle, trim
controls, and single door...)

I used the industrial Velcro to attach the AvMap to the yoke mount. You're
supposed to mount a flat plate (available from AvMap for ten bucks) to the
curved bottom of the AvMap -- we did -- although I suspect the industrial
Velcro would be strong enough to hold it, even with just the curved surface
to mate to.

It's a much better solution (IMHO) than using the AvMap like a kneeboard. I
want my moving map up where I can see it without looking down.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 24th 03, 12:07 PM
Kai Glaesner

....at the risk of being O.T.:

Do you like the AvMap unit? Is ist worth the money? I myself was searching
for some kind of hand-held moving-map for quite a long time now, considered
buying a tablet-pc but was disappointed by the displays and the handling.

Regards

Kai Glaesner

Old October 24th 03, 02:13 PM
Jay Honeck

Do you like the AvMap unit? Is ist worth the money?

It's an incredible tool. The display is huge, crystal clear, and BRIGHT,
easily readable in direct sunlight. The display is actually large enough to
show your entire route of flight with detail, unlike our old Lowrance Airmap
300. Best of all, the color display increases situational awareness by
making details visible at a glance that we formerly had to discern from the
various shades of gray.

Plus, it's got all the runway diagrams. And all the instrument approaches.
And all the radio & navigational frequencies. AND the obstruction database,
which Garmin stupidly refuses to provide.

It's twice the GPS of the Garmin 295, for only $300 more -- and their
skyrocketing sales show it. Mary and I love it.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 24th 03, 06:14 PM
Hankal

It's a much better solution (IMHO) than using the AvMap like a kneeboard. I
want my moving map up where I can see it without looking down.

Jay.
I use it on my knee and when the bright Florida sun shines on it I have to use
my hand to shield so I can read it.
I do not like to have it on my yoke, but may have to.
Hank
Old October 24th 03, 06:15 PM
Hankal

Do you like the AvMap unit? Is ist worth the money? I myself was searching
for some kind of hand-held moving-map for quite a long time now, considered
buying a tablet-pc but was disappointed by the displays and the handling.

Yes I like it very much and prefer it over Garmin. You can buy it for app.
1500.00 on the net. Shop araound
Hank
Old October 24th 03, 06:17 PM
Hankal

It's twice the GPS of the Garmin 295, for only $300 more -- and their
skyrocketing sales show it.

MY sentiments exactly. I love it.
Hank
Old October 24th 03, 06:39 PM
Jay Honeck

I use it on my knee and when the bright Florida sun shines on it I have to
use
my hand to shield so I can read it.

How can you stand having it strapped to your leg? That thing gets pretty
warm!

We flew into Topeka a couple of days ago, and the sun was just beaming in on
the pilot's side throughout the flight. I was very happy with the
readability in direct sunlight -- I wonder if my newer model has a brighter
display?

I do not like to have it on my yoke, but may have to.

Interesting -- we LOVE it on the yoke. It's so much more natural to look
there, just beneath the "Sacred Six", than it is to look down at your lap in
flight.

But to each, his own. It's a great unit, worth every penny we paid.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 26th 03, 04:28 PM
Kobra

Jay,

My Garmin 295 has a small stubby antenna attached to the unit and never has
given me any loss of signal in the air. The AVMap looked like your only
choice was an attached remote antenna connected by a wire. Is that true or
is there an attached antenna without a wire?

Kobra

Old November 3rd 03, 01:31 AM
Hankal

The AVMap looked like your only
choice was an attached remote antenna connected by a wire. Is that true or
is there an attached antenna without a wire?

AvMap does not have a stubby like the 295.
It has one antenna which fastens by wire to the the windshield.

AvMap EKP-IV Dale Schmitz Home Built 1 November 25th 04 05:23 PM
FS: AvMap EKP-IV GPS Jay Masino Aviation Marketplace 11 November 15th 04 12:01 PM
FS: AvMap EKP-IV GPS Jay Masino Owning 5 November 15th 04 12:01 PM
Some views of my AvMap EKP-IV Jay Masino Owning 20 September 6th 04 05:01 PM
AvMap rail mounts Hankal Instrument Flight Rules 0 June 10th 04 01:25 AM