An Open Apology to R.A.P.

Old February 11th 07, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Default An Open Apology to R.A.P.

Dave Doe wrote:

In article s5xzh.614$hp4.248@trnddc02, says...

I sat in the shadows for a long time attempting to ignore the resident
troll, hoping against all odds that he would go away. When I could no longer
restrain myself, I started feeding the troll against my better judgement.
It is apparent that I have done nothing constructive in that regard and,
in my attempts, have probably offended a number of you whom I consider to be
excellent aviators, if not going as far as alienating some of you as well.
I earned my PP ASEL in 1975 and have never stopped learning. Along the
way, I have written more than a few aviation related articles published in
both regional and national magazines. I've made my bones and I've earned my
airman's title and the right to comment on matters of aviation - when I have
something to contribute or need your learned experience. It simply galls me
that someone like Mxsmanic can violate our treasured status day in and day
out and continue to survive, even thrive.

I realized today that I have been recently scanning down through the
posts on R.A.P. not to learn something new, but instead to find out what
kind of spew the troll is serving up. I feel I owe the rest of my real
flying colleagues an apology. For that reason and that reason alone, I am
going to retire from the newsgroup. My biggest regret is that Msxmanic will
undoubtedly, in his maniacal way, gloat over having won.

With apologies and regrets,

Casey Wilson
PP ASEL
Freelance Writer
and Photographer

P.S. - Mxsmanic is NOT a pilot, has NEVER flown an aircraft and is NOT
qualified to
issue competent information regarding any aspect of the operation of any
aircraft.

Good bye.

and please follow him.
Old February 11th 07, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
The Old Bloke[_3_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
For that reason and that reason alone, I am
going to retire from the newsgroup. My biggest regret is that Msxmanic
will
undoubtedly, in his maniacal way, gloat over having won.

For those who have seen the recent movie, "Letters from Iwo Jima",
this post is the equivalent of the Japanese soldiers huddling in a
tunnel and blowing themselves up, rather than dying in combat.
Pathetic, really.

I hope this is some sort of a Casey-spoof, because -- if not -- it's
about the dumbest thing I've ever seen written here.

And I've seen a LOT of dumb things here.

:-(

I wouldn't be so damning. But it is so easy to filter what you see, and
even easier to see all, but ignore those you don't agree with.

Casey has a problem bigger than Msxmanic. To blame a *withdrawal due to one
poster* is bizarre.

Old February 11th 07, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Peter R. posted:

I have moved onto NewsMan Pro, which does this perfectly but is a
payware product sure to turn off many. Others here attest to Outlook
Express' advanced filtering, although the fact that OE renders HTML
should give one pause.

OE renders HTML if the user retains that parameter (it is the default
setting). If set to "plain text", HTML is eliminated.

Neil

Old February 11th 07, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, d&tm posted:

I like to lurk around the space groups and occaionally ask questions
and even dare to have the temerity to try to answer some of them.
Should I refrain from doing this because I am not an astronaut? or an
astrophysicist?

I would think it wise to refrain from arguing with astrophysicists or
astronauts about their responses to your posts. It would be considerate to
other readers not to pose as having the credentials of either of those
professions.

Neil

Old February 11th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jake Brodsky

Jim Logajan wrote:
Rats.

I hope to get a pilot certificate soon and would appreciate it if not all
the qualified people not be run off this group. I don't claim to speak for
others in my situation, but I'd hazard a guess I'm not alone in that worry.

Some of us just lurk most of the time. I've been flying for 19 years,
though I don't have that many hours in my logbooks. I'm a weekend pilot
and I plan my flying accordingly. There are quite a few with more
experience than I have, and faster typing fingers too. I'll chime in if
I see someone steering a newbie in a clearly wrong direction.

However, I'm also selective with the threads I read. Most of them are
repetitive. After a while, you can just tell where threads are going...

Jake Brodsky
PP ASEL IA
Cessna Cardinal N30946 @ FME
Old February 11th 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

("Jake Brodsky" wrote)
Cessna Cardinal N30946 @ FME

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KFME
(FME) Tipton Airport
Fort Meade (Odenton), Maryland, USA

Washington, DC and Baltimore, MD are less than 40 miles apart. FME (Fort
Meade) is on a line between those two cities.

Montblack :-)

Old February 11th 07, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans

"Casey Wilson" wrote

I sat in the shadows for a long time attempting to ignore the resident
troll, hoping against all odds that he would go away. When I could no
longer restrain myself, I started feeding the troll against my better
judgement.

I think your warnings added onto his posts are just what is needed.

Stick around, and don't change a thing.

I am hopeful that the tide is turning.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 11th 07, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"Casey Wilson" wrote in message
[...]

Unfortunately Captain Jackass aka Msxmanic has basically ruined this
newsgroup which I have read and occasionally posted on for the last three
years. I constantly have to make sure I'm not reading a response from the
Sim Pilot instead of an actual response from a REAL pilot. He sucks, I am
sick of reading his stupid crap (more like trudging through it) and I don't
think you need to apologize for anything!! I think Msxmanic should apologize
to all of us and cease posting immediately but I'm sure that won't happen.
He is a pompous ass jerk and is nothing more than a troll who comes here
just **** people off and pretend to know something about flying a REAL
plane.

------------------------------------
DW a real pilot with a $6000 piece of green plastic with the Wright Brothers
on it who worked hard to get his license and fulfilled his lifelong dream by
getting it.

Old February 11th 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

On Feb 11, 9:24 am, "Neil Gould" wrote:
Recently, d&tm posted:

I like to lurk around the space groups and occaionally ask questions
and even dare to have the temerity to try to answer some of them.
Should I refrain from doing this because I am not an astronaut? or an
astrophysicist?

I would think it wise to refrain from arguing with astrophysicists or
astronauts about their responses to your posts. It would be considerate to
other readers not to pose as having the credentials of either of those
professions.

Well, it depends on whether the answer is clear cut or not. And even
then, many times what is accepted as truth one decade, isn't the
next. Take Pluto ;-)

This same situation could apply to driving a car too, of course, or
many other activities. Yet you often see people with little or no
experience posting strong opinions.

A humorous point is that pilots virtually never agree exactly on
anything, especially on interpreting regulations. The FAA doesn't
help in that regard. So it's easy to see how someone could question
every answer, when even pilots will argue amongst themselves.

Cheers, Kev

Old February 11th 07, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
tony roberts

He sucks, I am sick of reading his stupid crap (more like trudging through it) and I don't
think you need to apologize for anything!!

His crap doesn't bother me.
The people who feed his crap are slightly irritating.
The people who defend his crap are more irritating.

The problems with this group are much more than one very talented troll
- and every long thread of his is testimony to just how talented he is
at his chosen "pastime"

Just wait for the pendulum to swing back - meanwhile, it's not the only
aviation group out there.

Tony
--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

Apology Curtis Simulators 0 October 20th 04 03:43 PM
Apology Curtis Rotorcraft 0 October 20th 04 03:43 PM
Apology Curtis Restoration 0 October 20th 04 03:42 PM
Apology Curtis Owning 0 October 20th 04 03:29 PM
Apology Curtis General Aviation 0 October 20th 04 03:28 PM