further thoughts about women suicide bombers

Old January 7th 04, 09:00 AM
John Keeney

"John?] "
wrote in message
. net...
In article , Stephen Harding
wrote:

B2431 wrote:

I am the "despicable mysogynist" who asked the question. The question

is
valid
and still stands. One of the rewards frequently cited for martyrs is

the 72
virgins. I never said the virgins the female martyrs would get were

also
female.

*Seventy-two* virgins??!!!

For some reason, I was thinking it was seven, like in one for each day

of
the week. But that keeps you in virgins for only a week, while 72

provides
a 10 week, 2 day supply.

But you're dead, so we're talking eternity here. Is there much

difference
between one week and 10 weeks when you're stuck somewhere for eternity?
Wouldn't you have to put some pretty severe rationing on virgin use?

Geez so many questions!

I'm gonna have to rethink this suicide bombing stuff all over again!

SMH

Actually this provision of the Koran was exposed as a typographical
error several years ago.

It doesn't say "...72 virgins...", it says "...a 72-year-old virgin...."

Well, as much as I hate to break in to a good joke with facts,
there is some claim that it kind'f does amount to a typo.
The claim is that the reward is actually 72 "seeds of profound ideas",
the ancient word for this concept and "virgins" being written the same.
The modern written language having added a couple of little marks
to distinguish the two with the wrong "new version" having been kept.

Old January 7th 04, 07:03 PM
Stephen Harding

John Keeney wrote:

Well, as much as I hate to break in to a good joke with facts,
there is some claim that it kind'f does amount to a typo.
The claim is that the reward is actually 72 "seeds of profound ideas",
the ancient word for this concept and "virgins" being written the same.
The modern written language having added a couple of little marks
to distinguish the two with the wrong "new version" having been kept.

Well you're no fun John!

Actually, it seems a lot of explanation of events in the Bible can
be fully or partially explained by mis-translations, so it shouldn't
be too surprising that this might hold true for the Koran as well.

SMH

Old January 7th 04, 07:39 PM
Guy Wastiaux

what if male terrorist ask for virgin men ? Is that an option ?
I thought many terrorists were gay

Cub Driver wrote:
On an earlier thread, some despicable mysogynist wondered whether a
female suicide bomber got the 72 virgins issued to martyrs in heaven,
which led some other lowlife to speculate that instead she might be
multiplied into the 72 virgins.

Well, further to those thoughts, here's a note from this morning's
Aero-News Propwash email letter. It should settle the question of
whether the bomber herself was virgo intacta, for those who worry
about such things:

"Smuggling a bomb on to
a plane by this method is one of our worst nightmares. If you do
not have specific information about the suspect, it would be
impossible to carry out an intimate body search of every female
passenger."

That's the word from a senior official at Scotland Yard. The
British Daily Mirror quotes that official as saying the al Qaeda
wanted to put a female suicide bomber on British Airways Flight
BA223.

The source told the Mirror that the woman planned to evade close
inspection by hiding eight to 12 ounces of plastic explosive in her
vagina.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Old January 8th 04, 12:55 PM
tscottme

Islam makes Scientology look sane by comparison.

--

Scott
--------

Old January 18th 04, 07:52 AM
L'acrobat

From: Cub Driver

On an earlier thread, some despicable mysogynist wondered whether a
female suicide bomber got the 72 virgins issued to martyrs in heaven,

I am the "despicable mysogynist" who asked the question. The question is

valid
and still stands. One of the rewards frequently cited for martyrs is the

72
virgins. I never said the virgins the female martyrs would get were also
female.

I wouldn't worry too much about it -

Die Syro-Aramaische Lesart des Koran, available only in German, came out
just over a year ago, but has already had an enthusiastic reception,
particularly among those scholars with a knowledge of several Semitic
languages at Princeton, Yale, Berlin, Potsdam, Erlangen, Aix-en-Provence,
and the Oriental Institute in Beirut.
Luxenberg tries to show that many obscurities of the Koran disappear if we
read certain words as being Syriac and not Arabic. We cannot go into the
technical details of his methodology but it allows Luxenberg, to the
probable horror of all Muslim males dreaming of sexual bliss in the Muslim
hereafter, to conjure away the wide-eyed houris promised to the faithful in
suras XLIV.54; LII.20, LV.72, and LVI.22. Luxenberg 's new analysis, leaning
on the Hymns of Ephrem the Syrian, yields "white raisins" of "crystal
clarity" rather than doe-eyed, and ever willing virgins - the houris.
Luxenberg claims that the context makes it clear that it is food and drink
that is being offerred, and not unsullied maidens or houris.

In Syriac, the word hur is a feminine plural adjective meaning white, with
the word "raisin" understood implicitly. Similarly, the immortal, pearl-like
ephebes or youths of suras such as LXXVI.19 are really a misreading of a
Syriac expression meaning chilled raisins (or drinks) that the just will
have the pleasure of tasting in contrast to the boiling drinks promised the
unfaithful and damned.

As Luxenberg's work has only recently been published we must await its
scholarly assessment before we can pass any judgements. But if his analysis
is correct then suicide bombers, or rather prospective martyrs, would do
well to abandon their culture of death, and instead concentrate on getting
laid 72 times in this world, unless of course they would really prefer
chilled or white raisins, according to their taste, in the next.