Aw ****s and Bravo Zulus

Old December 3rd 03, 03:14 PM
Pechs1

Donny Sogga, cleared for an impromtu 'air show/fly-by' at a Italian AirForce
field...Was cleared by the tower, found the field and commenced to beat up the
field, AB passes, hi g turns, low passes, lots of noise and such...Then asked
how the tower liked it and the tower said, 'not in sight, continue'..wrong
airfield...

And then, ask about my gear up touch and go in a T-2, or going nose to nose
with a civilian 737.....at Norfolk, or....

P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old December 3rd 03, 06:47 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"WaltBJ" wrote in message
om...

Now, the F4E wings do fold - they're manual
instead of power and there's no lock control in the cockpit. The
manual control is in the left wheel well.

Are you sure about that? I was a crew chief on F-4Ds which had hydraulic
wing folding. It's been a long time, but as I recall the locks, which were
located at the wing fold, had to be backed out by hand and then the
hydraulic mechanism could be activated. The hydraulic control was located
in the left wheel well. I know the F-4E deleted the hydraulics, I assumed
that would remove anything related to wing folding from the wheel well.

Old December 4th 03, 01:36 AM
vincent p. norris

And then, ask about my gear up touch and go in a T-2, ...

P. C. Chisholm

Gear up T&G in a T-2? How'd that work out for you?

Yeah, I'd especially like to hear about the "go" part.

vince norris
Old December 4th 03, 01:48 AM
stephen.mudgett

Don Sogga, one (of 5) of my skippers, while I was in '33. Real super
guy, great Skipper, too.
Stephen Mudgett
http://www.stephenmudgett.com

Old December 4th 03, 03:01 PM
Pechs1

Doug- Gear up T&G in a T-2? How'd that work out for you? BRBR

Got my attention, really loud, skipping off the runway..I was in the trunk as a
'IP' teaching another JO the T-2(in VF-126). One thing ya do is pull an engine
to idle in the landing pattern, 'student' needs to pull gear up and go 1/2
flaps..be safely sirborne, downwind, then gear back down and a single engine
approach...He reported gear down, speedbrakes in, i looked down and thought,
yep, they are down cuz they say 'up', up' 'up'....was class C, really just
broke the underbelly anti-smash light, The metal benders took off the belly
pans, pounded them out...didn't even get a new call sign outta it.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old December 4th 03, 03:03 PM
Pechs1

stephen- Don Sogga, one (of 5) of my skippers, while I was in '33. Real super

guy, great Skipper, too. BRBR

Interesting that he screened for the squadron where he did his dept head tour.
He was Ops in VF-33 when I was a nugget...great guy, along with Lurch
Bunting...they made a great team, Ops and MO...
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old December 4th 03, 03:21 PM
nafod40

Pechs1 wrote:
Doug- Gear up T&G in a T-2? How'd that work out for you? BRBR

Got my attention, really loud, skipping off the runway..I was in the trunk as a
'IP' teaching another JO the T-2(in VF-126).

Anybody else remember the post-night-form-midair-fluster-induced gear up
night landing in the A-4 by a stud? I still have the Approach article.

Old December 4th 03, 03:52 PM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

On 12/4/03 9:21 AM, in article , "nafod40"
wrote:

Pechs1 wrote:
Doug- Gear up T&G in a T-2? How'd that work out for you? BRBR

Got my attention, really loud, skipping off the runway..I was in the trunk as
'IP' teaching another JO the T-2(in VF-126).

Anybody else remember the post-night-form-midair-fluster-induced gear up
night landing in the A-4 by a stud? I still have the Approach article.

I don't remember that one. Perhaps I should, but I don't. Feel free to
refresh my memory.

Speaking of bouncing gear up jets off of runways: I did know a guy who
punched out of an RF-8 in Da Nang (I think it was Da Nang) resulting from a
"fluster induced" premature gear retract.

He was a JG at the time. He was in a hurry to join two LCDR's flying
Scooters. They were taking a cross country in the middle of the deployment
to Cubi. (What a concept!) There was a low overcast.

The A-4 jocks planned a section go, promising to stay beneath the scud until
he was aboard, and then punch up through as a flight.

They took off and immediately disappeared into the clag. He (wondering what
to do next) reverted to his old habit patterns and through the gear up as
soon as the jet felt light. (Keep in mind this was his first field take off
in several months, so he was operating off of shipboard habit
pattern--frustrated, brain stem only at this point).

The jet didn't have flying speed, settled onto the runway, bounced, fodded
the motor, started coughing and chugging and shutting itself down, so he
punched out. It careened back into the runway leaving a big mess.

They did the FNAEB on him 2 days later and put him right back on the flight
schedule.

--Woody

Old December 5th 03, 02:28 AM
stephen.mudgett

Would that be the same (Dan) Bunting that became Skipper in '102 during
the early 80's?

Stephen Mudgett
ex VF-33 AQ2
www.stephenmudgett.com