While we're talking about Garmin GPS

Old November 25th 03, 10:16 PM
Windecks

Default While we're talking about Garmin GPS

On an IFR proficiency flight with my partner the other day, we got into a
little debate about the best way to use the Garmin 430 for ATC position
reporting. He uses the cursor on the map page to point at an airport or
NAVAID, then reads out the distance and (reciprocal) bearing. I go to NRST,
and pick an airport or VOR which have continually updated distance and
bearing. For those 430/530 users out there, which way do you prefer?

Wouldn't it be nice to have a 'Position' button; an easy to reach menu
choice, softkey or button that gives the following configurable readout
(don't display what you don't want):

- Distance and reciprocal bearing to the nearest airport
(22nm NW Reid Hillview KRHV)
- Distance and reciprocal bearing to the nearest VOR
(10nm SW Mustang FMG or maybe 215 Radial?)
- Distance and reciprocal bearing to the nearest NDB
- Distance and reciprocal bearing to the nearest intersection
- Distance and reciprocal bearing to the nearest VFR reporting point
- If within 2nm of any of the above, a message that says "Vicinity Squaw
Valley SWR" e.g.

Punch the button, wait for the frequency to clear, then just read off the
position to our friends with the big screens. Punch the button again and
you go back to the previous display. NRST works just fine for me, but it's
always fun to bitch about your expensive, useful panel toys..

Old November 25th 03, 10:32 PM
Ron Natalie

"Windecks" wrote in message . ..
On an IFR proficiency flight with my partner the other day, we got into a
little debate about the best way to use the Garmin 430 for ATC position
reporting. He uses the cursor on the map page to point at an airport or
NAVAID, then reads out the distance and (reciprocal) bearing. I go to NRST,
and pick an airport or VOR which have continually updated distance and
bearing. For those 430/530 users out there, which way do you prefer?

For IFR, you should use the reporting points called out on the charts (or
implied by the rules).

For VFR, I use a NRST VOR. On the 195, the NRST FREQ gives you the
closest center frequency as well as telling you the offset to the nearest VOR.

Old November 25th 03, 10:38 PM
Jim

I use NRST. It's easier than etch-a-sketching around to something that I
may or may not have displayed on the map.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

. ..

Old November 26th 03, 12:55 AM
Teacherjh

Isn't it just as easy to eyeball the map (with reference to the scale)?

Jose

Old November 26th 03, 01:15 AM
karl gruber

****Isn't it just as easy to eyeball the map (with reference to the
scale)?****

No.

Old November 26th 03, 01:39 AM
Jeff

If I am not over an intersection, airport or navaid, or close to one, I will
pull up a VOR on my nav to and give DME distance, radial from that VOR as my
position.

For me thats just as easy or easier then flipping through screens on the 430. I
always have a vor on my nav 2 anyways, just incase the 430 has a problem.

Jeff
http://www.turboarrow3.com

Old November 26th 03, 02:18 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message

I presume you mean non-radar full position reports. That is where having

the
route as a flight plan would be quite useful.

In that case you'd just report the compulsory reporting points and any
non-compulsory reporting points as instructed by ATC as you encountered
them.

Old November 26th 03, 02:43 AM
Windecks

For non-radar flight plans, sure, you use the reporting points on your
flight plan and those requested by ATC, and they're usually already entered
on the FPL page.

I often launch VFR from an uncontrolled field and then ask for flight
following. Also, my home field is Class C and I need to get a squawk to
approach and land, even if VFR. These requests usualy comes from some
random point enroute, hence the position requirement. Also, it's useful
when asking for a popup IFR clearance, which doesn't happen for me all that
much.

So, a question for the controller types out there--what do you want to hear
on these requests? Type, equipment, altitude? Position in relation to the
nearest VOR? I usually give my callsign, position from the closest VOR, and
equipment if it's an IFR request. They then give me a squawk and ask for an
ident.

Old November 26th 03, 02:53 AM
paul k. sanchez

[...]

I'm a little bit confused here. NAV page 4 of the Garmin 430 is a position page
that can be configured to show nearest VOR, radial, distance. In fact it will
even show a TACAN if it is the nearest NAVAID. It also shows track, ground
speed, calculated altitude, lattitude/longitude.

To configure it press MENU, select "change fields". Move the cursor to the APT
field, change it to VOR.

Perhaps there is material that your Garmin 430 instructor neglected to include
in his training syllabus with you. How long of a training course did you have
on the Garmin 430?

What were you using NAV page 4 for beforehand?

paul k. sanchez, cfii-mei
on eagles’ wings
2011 south perimeter road, suite g
fort lauderdale, florida 33309-7135